Are toeclips making a comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wandered into the Specialized store in Harrogate and was surprised to see many of the road bikes equipped with toeclips.

Not just the cheapies, the £2K+ carbons also had toeclips fitted.

Seems strange, given that 99 per cent of buyers currently use clipless.

Might have been for test ride purposes, but so many bikes in the shop had toeclips, I wonder if they are making a comeback?

Kies

Nah, nope, negative,never :becool:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I wandered into the Specialized store in Harrogate and was surprised to see many of the road bikes equipped with toeclips.

Not just the cheapies, the £2K+ carbons also had toeclips fitted.

Seems strange, given that 99 per cent of buyers currently use clipless.

Might have been for test ride purposes, but so many bikes in the shop had toeclips, I wonder if they are making a comeback?

They supply most new bikes with small plastic pedals with toeclips most people just chuck them in the bin, the pair that came with my Secteur Elite were so small I couldn't get my feet on them properly.

It may be that a significant part of the market for £1.5K+ road bikes is represented by people who have not ridden since childhood or have never ridden.

These potential buyers (sources of income) may be discouraged by the whole 'clipless thing', which some seem to elevate to some sort of noble and painul rite of initiation into a select and exclusive cult.

It may also be that the bike can be sold equipped with clips in the fairly certain knowledge that 8/10 customers will be back for shoes and clipless pedals in the coming weeks.

It may also be that clips are becoming more popular, but I doubt it. I used them for years and liked them, but feel no need to go back.

maxon

Regular
I have just recently gone back to open end toe clips after a bad bike fall, I could not get out of my clipless pedals quick enough after hitting a rut in the road, and after falling while still attached to the pedals, ended up with a broken wrist.

Clipless pedals are probably more efficient but I just feel safer now in open ended toe clips, easier to quickly release my foot.

phil_hg_uk

I have just recently gone back to open end toe clips after a bad bike fall, I could not get out of my clipless pedals quick enough after hitting a rut in the road, and after falling while still attached to the pedals, ended up with a broken wrist.

Clipless pedals are probably more efficient but I just feel safer now in open ended toe clips, easier to quickly release my foot.

I did that when I first tried clipless, a year later I tried again using SH-56 Multi-release cleats and I still use them now.

PK99

Legendary Member

try SPDs with multi release cleats

phil_hg_uk

try SPDs with multi release cleats

Snap

Ben M

Being strapped in is easier to get out of than just twisting your ankle to get out of clipless? Really?

Or do you ride with some loose straps flapping about doing nothing? Why not just use a flat pedal without them in that case?

D

Deleted member 1258

I have never stopped using toeclips, I've been using them for over 25 years now, I prefer them to clipless .

Davidc

Guru
I have never stopped using toeclips, I've been using them for over 25 years now, I prefer them to clipless .
Started using toe clips 45 years ago and never stopped until 2011.

I stopped for 6 months, used clipless, they did my (misaligned) knee in. Back with toe clips on instructions from the consultant, perfectly happy with this arrangement.

screenman

Legendary Member
I still have a black and white TV, as for those new fangled computer things, never they will never catch on.^_^

Toe clips for the first 25 years and clipped in for the last 20. Toe clips and straps I feel are for those who cannot adjust cleats correctly to suit or need to get off and walk a lot when cycling.

D

Deleted member 1258

+1
all my bikes have them

I've been running my best bike with clipless since I bought it three years ago, if I hadn't spent so much on pedals and shoes I would have gone back to clips and straps, my fixed runs with clips ands straps, they give me good foot retention with the versatility to use whatever boots and shoes I want, I straighten the clips and rebend them so I can use them with steel toe capped boots, saves me the faff of having to keep changing shoes.

Top Bottom