Are toeclips making a comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I'll stick with my flat pedals on the roadbike. For me they have a significant advantage - that is when I get cramp in my foot I can change position and "uncramp" it. I can also cycle in wellies which are my equivalent to aero oversocks :laugh:

wait4me

Veteran
It's toe clips for me everytime. Back in the 60's with the leather straps with bigger clamp levers it was easier to reach down for a quick flick on the lever to release tension (I was halfway there with every gear change). With the current straps material loosening is not so easy, so I have the straps set so my foot can slip in and out without altering the straps. I am able to apply lift on the pedals and most important I fell confident with them. I cannot get suitable cycle shoes as the straps and clamps on these prevent toe clips being used but I have found a pair of leather trainer(ish) shoes with smooth stiff soles that suit me just fine. It's a case of each to his own but what a shame that some clipless users feel that oldies who stick with that which they know best and feel happiest with are in all other ways archaic.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Chrome with a touch of leather toe clips are quite classy looking for general purpose/touring bikes.I have them on my gp/tourer bike,they allow me to wear most sensible shoes,as opposed to the clipless peddles on my road bike which determine that i have to wear road shoes,or mountain bike ones if i want to go walkabouts.They're not so good on taking off uphill though.I have to spin the left pedal a few times to get my foot in,unless i'm lucky!:blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
All our family bikes have SPDs except my 83 year-old Mum's hybrid and my roadie, which has Keos. We've got a box full of new plastic toeclip shop pedals so if anybody wants a pair, drop me a line!

gavintc

Guru
None of the road bikes I purchased in the last 10 yrs came with any pedals.

I have never ridden strappy pedals - just seems so dangerous. SPD and Look for me.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Loads of Leather straps available - online if not in your LBS. Try Googling 'leather toestrap', or 'Zefal toestrap'. I did go into one LBS where the (young) assistant had never heard of such things, though with the revival of interest in all things retro and 'fixies' things have changed. I still use them for securing stuff on the bike, through the saddle rails, much as we carried spare tubs in far off days .........

Davidc

Guru
Loads of Leather straps available - online if not in your LBS. Try Googling 'leather toestrap', or 'Zefal toestrap'. I did go into one LBS where the (young) assistant had never heard of such things, though with the revival of interest in all things retro and 'fixies' things have changed. I still use them for securing stuff on the bike, through the saddle rails, much as we carried spare tubs in far off days .........
Tubs under the seat with old straps keeping them on brings back memories. Even now on longer rides I carry an extra 2 inner tubes there but now its velcro straps. One tube on its own won't stay put.

Some of the current leather straps are of very good quality, and there are sometimes some of wait4me's extra long levered ones around online.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Started using toe clips 45 years ago and never stopped until 2011.

I stopped for 6 months, used clipless, they did my (misaligned) knee in. Back with toe clips on instructions from the consultant, perfectly happy with this arrangement.

I can appreciate this - after the Dunwich Dynamo the only part of my body that was really giving me grief was my left knee - there seemed to be an excessive amount of stopping and starting for such a long ride.

But since I moved from toeclips (with cleats) in around 2001, I wouldn't go back.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have simply screwed a pair of slip on shoes to my pedals.:thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Its been done (sort of) - Pyro Platforms :smile:
543312_1.jpg

Milo

Guru
I use loose straps and boots in the winter I like dry feet and not having to cart around two pairs of footwear. Don't really mind the loss of efficiency I do the same thing when touring. Got spd pedals on the bike at the moment though.

ayceejay

Guru
Double toe clips were common on 'cross and racing MTB's at one time as it wasn't unusual to break them if single.
People always talk about 'clipless moments' but the first time I came off was with toe clips and nail on cleats. I was on a 70 mile a day tour and the shoes were new, I started climbing a hill and changed all the way down but at a certain point I had to give up, I was almost at a stand still when I reached for my toe strap and then I slowly tumbled into the grass bank still attached to my pedals. I was 15.

Top Bottom