Are toeclips making a comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I seem to recall leather cleats(shoe plates) as well. Might have to look up some at the Chicago Swap Meet, for use with the Viscount.

compo

Veteran
Someone on CC, who shall remain nameless, stated in a posting a while back that he came up to another cyclist, but he wasn't a proper cyclist because he had toe clips. I still chuckle to myself when I recall that statement.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Loads of Leather straps available - online if not in your LBS. Try Googling 'leather toestrap', or 'Zefal toestrap'. I did go into one LBS where the (young) assistant had never heard of such things, though with the revival of interest in all things retro and 'fixies' things have changed. I still use them for securing stuff on the bike, through the saddle rails, much as we carried spare tubs in far off days .........

what like this? I am not surprised that toe clips have gone out of fashion the quality of most of them that new users will come across are dreadful. I would still use them but my Duegi shoes have split after only 30 years.

aaaaaaaooooo 001.JPG

avalon

Guru
The only times I have fallen off because my feet were stuck to the pedals were in the days when I used toeclips and straps. Modern clipless pedals are so much easier to use, just twist and you're out.

G3CWI

Veteran
Someone on CC, who shall remain nameless, stated in a posting a while back that he came up to another cyclist, but he wasn't a proper cyclist because he had toe clips. I still chuckle to myself when I recall that statement.

I was told the same thing myself. I was politely advised that flat pedals mark me out as not being a "serious" cyclist.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
you're right it does, I have to re- wrap it reguarly to prevent it rubbing and getting thin spots on the side walls and the binding gets filthy. I can't seem to find a Walls flag anywheres, Mars ice cream have taken over every shop in the area.:laugh:

MattyP

Regular
When I bought my bike recently they had toeclips on them. Hated them - think they were just too small for my feet. They kept slipping out too much - despite straps being nice and tight (but not tight enough to get my feet out in a rush). Just think they were cheap generic pedals added just to supply some pedals.

Anyway was deciding what to change them to - either standard flat pedals or clipless. Never used clipless so was very dubious. Decided to give them a go - hey I'm up for trying something new. I absolutely love them - find them really efficient and just make my cycling much easier. Granted I probably wouldn't use them if I was doing a lot of city riding but thats not what they are for I guess?! You just have to plan a bit ahead when riding and keep an eye out for potential obstacles! Also getting the tension right seems to help. Much better than clips and could never go back to anything else now. This is coming from someone who has never used them. Ever. :smile: Mind you not fallen off because of them yet so my views may change on future rides.... certainly enjoyed them for my 18 mile test ride last Sunday! :smile:

compo

Veteran
I do like toe clips and cannot see me changing now. However I have been looking at my pedalling and to be perfectly honest I don't really need to clips. I don't pull up on the pedal when cycling, so only use the toe clip to locate my foot on the pedal and the strap helps keep my foot on the pedal without slipping off sideways which it often does when using bare pedals. I have toyed with using the strapless clips which for my use I reckon would do the same job. After 50 years of conventional toe clips though it is a huge leap of faith to change systems now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't think you should, I'm in the same predicament, clips and straps locate the size 14 golf shoe on the SunTour Bear Trap pedals I use on the auld Schwinn Tourer. But I must say I find the straps most helpful in remaining centered. I wind up in town a great deal, and have to use large pedals, so clipless choices are limited. If I go to recumbent bicycles I may have to go clipless, but it will not be such a crtical factor, less weight borne by the pedals.

Top Bottom