Are toeclips making a comeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I still have a black and white TV, as for those new fangled computer things, never they will never catch on.^_^

Toe clips for the first 25 years and clipped in for the last 20. Toe clips and straps I feel are for those who cannot adjust cleats correctly to suit or need to get off and walk a lot when cycling.

Why should I need to get off and walk because I don't use clipless? And what does my ability to adjust cleats have to do with my liking for toeclips?

I still have a black and white TV, as for those new fangled computer things, never they will never catch on.^_^

Toe clips for the first 25 years and clipped in for the last 20. Toe clips and straps I feel are for those who cannot adjust cleats correctly to suit or need to get off and walk a lot when cycling.
Not the case here. Some of us are not fully able bodied. I don't have enough control over my left leg below the knee to rotate the foot - mind you I only know where the foot & leg is by what the right leg is doing/not doing due to a neck injury 20 years ago and a nasty dog attack 18 months ago (+100 stitches, nerves severed, major artery severed, major vein punctured) - cycling is easier than walking in that sense. In addition I require very high ankle boots to support my lower legs and hold them over the ankle correctly to correct some of my hypermobility issues which I have had to deal with from birth.
If bikes only came with 'clipless' pedals I would not be able to cycle at all. Walking is still difficult 18 months after the dog attack (whilst cycling).

jim55

Guru
try SPDs with multi release cleats
another one in favour of these ,they are brilliant ,keep u clipped in most of the time but iv saved a few panic situations when im sure the reg cleats (sh 51?)would have resulted in a fall
they hold firm enough for gen use but release quite easily

They've never been away!

I used them happily for a long time, trying SPDs now and enjoy them but miss the freedom of toe clips.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
at least before the post-Beijing cycling boom, mid to top end road bikes would have dummy pedals as there are so many different clipless systems that it would be pointless putting any on, as the buyer would either want to specify their own pedals, or put some existing ones on...

maxon

Regular
Being strapped in is easier to get out of than just twisting your ankle to get out of clipless? Really?

Or do you ride with some loose straps flapping about doing nothing? Why not just use a flat pedal without them in that case?

As I said open toe clipless with no straps, yes really much easier to get out of than clipless, just have to move my foot out, hey presto no more broken bones!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've noticed that nowadays very few (new?) toeclip and strap users actually tighten the straps when using them, or reach down to release the straps when stopping (that is why the straps have quick release buckles). Seems to be a lost art. IMO properly used clips and straps were much harder to remove one's feet from - especially if you also used nail on cleats, and required a lot of practice. Of course you can use them with the straps hanging loose, but that rather defeats the purpose. I suspect the clips and straps on the new bikes are for demonstration/test ride purposes.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've noticed that nowadays very few (new?) toeclip and strap users actually tighten the straps when using them, or reach down to release the straps when stopping (that is why the straps have quick release buckles). Seems to be a lost art. IMO properly used clips and straps were much harder to remove one's feet from - especially if you also used nail on cleats, and required a lot of practice. Of course you can use them with the straps hanging loose, but that rather defeats the purpose. I suspect the clips and straps on the new bikes are for demonstration/test ride purposes.

All those years ago when I first used toeclips I was shown the sweet spot by a clubmate, the sweet spot is where the straps are just tight enough to get the benefits but theres just enough give in the straps to ease a foot out when needed, I've used that ever since, means I'm not constantly tightening and loosening the straps, most of the lads did that in those days.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
All those years ago when I first used toeclips I was shown the sweet spot by a clubmate, the sweet spot is where the straps are just tight enough to get the benefits but theres just enough give in the straps to ease a foot out when needed, I've used that ever since, means I'm not constantly tightening and loosening the straps, most of the lads did that in those days.
- there were some occasions when we needed to tighten the straps, climbing out of the saddle for example - it was too easy to pull out a smooth leather-soled shoe, especially if you weren't using cleats.

screenman

Legendary Member
- there were some occasions when we needed to tighten the straps, climbing out of the saddle for example - it was too easy to pull out a smooth leather-soled shoe, especially if you weren't using cleats.

I remember those days well, so do my tender regions. Pull straps tight when you needed to make a big effort and a bit looser the rest of the time.

I suppose it is all down to what sort of cyclist you are, there are so many which is what makes owning a bike interesting.

What sort am I well I suppose I would say a sporting ex racer. Never commute on it, never shop on it and seldom pub on it, I cannot honestly say I enjoy every ride, but I like the feeling after every time I go out on a bike..

D

Deleted member 1258

^_^ Pulling out whilst accelerating away from traffic lights in heavy traffic is a wonderful way to get as much room as you want, I've done it a couple of times over the years, forgot to keep the toe pointing slightly up on the up stroke dropped the toe and pulled out.

D

Deleted member 1258

I remember those days well, so do my tender regions. Pull straps tight when you needed to make a big effort and a bit looser the rest of the time.

I suppose it is all down to what sort of cyclist you are, there are so many which is what makes owning a bike interesting.

What sort am I well I suppose I would say a sporting ex racer. Never commute on it, never shop on it and seldom pub on it, I cannot honestly say I enjoy every ride, but I like the feeling after every time I go out on a bike..

I've never been a competitive cyclist, commuting and general running around, club cycling, I started with a touring club doing long steady rides, moved to a more general clubs slow group then moved up to the medium rides, now the club is a racing club and I no longer do regular club rides, I'm out at the cafe most Sundays but mostly ride on my own, I've also done Reliability rides, Charity rides and an Audax.

Davidc

Guru
Like dave r I was shown the sweet spot, but by one of the Holdsworth Campagnolo team who used to help training at the club I went to. All very well but the pros had shoes with a built in cleat and when racing they nailed on the cleats youngoldbloke refers to. Straps did have to be tight to stop the cycling shoes of the 60s and 70s escaping.

I tried clipless but had to stop - I've put more detail in an earlier thread but it's because of my foot alignment - and would put the effect as much the same as well adjusted clips and straps. Both allow offloading the upstroke foot, both keep the upstroke foot in the right place when out of the saddle.

Top Bottom