Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
That's fine but what percentage of cars are EVs at the moment? What happens when the majority of cars on a street of terraced houses is electric, majority of vehicles visiting a motorway services is an EV? Will we have enough charging points. 2 or 3 in a Tesco car park is all very well, but I remain to be convinced the number of charging points will match the demand.

In the same way the lack of petrol stations meant that the ICE never really caught on....

FishFright

More wheels than sense
On a serious note this thread shows well why the UK economy won't be on the up anytime soon.

There's not enough public charge points so we best give up now where as in an expanding economy it's a huge investment opportunity.
Batteries need recycling ditto. Better batteries , ditto. etc etc etc

vickster

Legendary Member

Yep :okay:

I wanted to know if charging an EV is comparable to an ICE timewise as if the points are going to be on the street or at petrol stations, they need to be quick so they can be used by everyone who will be driving EV in the future. The few ones at my local Tesco for example always seem to be occupied, presumably by people there for longer than 5-10 minutes unlike the petrol station. I think you can park for free for up to 3 hours which further limits the number of people who can use in any given day. If usage was limited to 10 minutes, then the access becomes much more universal.
Not everyone has access to charging at home / work as has been discussed before

DRM

Guru
Can you charge an EV from empty or even half empty in 10 minutes now?

In a word, no, you’re looking at around 6 to 8 hours from empty to full, depending on the battery capacity, possibly a bit quicker with a high KWh charger, I think most drivers will make use of opportunity charging in order to gain extra miles, without doing a full charge, this is where you need to plan your journey ahead, get yourself to a charger with a bit of range left and go for a cuppa and a loo break whilst topping up, this is one huge advantage of a Li-ion battery that you can top up the charge without damaging the battery, unlike a lead acid battery.

Can you charge an EV from empty or even half empty in 10 minutes now?

Can you have a petrol car filled with fuel at home whilst you sleep or whilst you work ?

It's a different life with an EV. All you need is an electric socket.

I normally charge mine to 80% overnight and that lasts me a day or two.

I only charge away from home on long journeys so very rarely.

Adding an extra 50% range is about 20 minutes on a fast charger so by the time you've grabbed a coffee and been for a wee- you're good to go.

That's fine but what percentage of cars are EVs at the moment? What happens when the majority of cars on a street of terraced houses is electric, majority of vehicles visiting a motorway services is an EV? Will we have enough charging points. 2 or 3 in a Tesco car park is all very well, but I remain to be convinced the number of charging points will match the demand.

Things change oldbloke.
As the numbers increase - there's more charging available. It'd be ludicrous to put in dozens of charging points now when the demand doesn't require it.

We all know that cars spend most of their lives parked up.
It's not beyond science to put electric sockets by where they park.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you have a petrol car filled with fuel at home whilst you sleep or whilst you work ?

It's a different life with an EV. All you need is an electric socket.

I normally charge mine to 80% overnight and that lasts me a day or two.

I only charge away from home on long journeys so very rarely.

Adding an extra 50% range is about 20 minutes on a fast charger so by the time you've grabbed a coffee and been for a wee- you're good to go.

You presumably live in a house with a driveway. Or the ability to park right outside?
I do too, but I have plenty of friends who don’t, they live upstairs in rented flats and can’t park a car close by. What’s the solution there? Do you need a special socket? or just a standard 3 pin job and a cable? I don’t know!
it‘s not yet a solution for the masses imo, a poster upthread said soon you’ll be able to charge in 10 minutes, from all chargers? This year, next year, 5, 10? What‘s the cost? Who’s paying for the infrastructure? Where are all these things going? Car parks? Petrol stations?
Unlike Norway, we don’t have billions spare in the bank from the sale of oil to fund, and a population 15x the size to service. Surely without (as much) fuel duty in the treasury, there’s going to be less money for infrastructure projects?

It only takes 10 minutes to fill up a car, don’t need to do while asleep. I just do it when I need to while out, after shopping, whatever

Last edited:
You presumably live in a house with a driveway. Or the ability to park right outside?
I do too, but I have plenty of friends who don’t, they live upstairs in rented flats and can’t park a car close by. What’s the solution there? Do you need a special socket? or just a standard 3 pin job and a cable? I don’t know!
it‘s not yet a solution for the masses imo, a poster upthread said soon you’ll be able to charge in 10 minutes, from all chargers? This year, next year, 5, 10? What‘s the cost? Who’s paying for the infrastructure? Where are all these things going? Car parks? Petrol stations?
Unlike Norway, we don’t have billions spare in the bank from the sale of oil to fund, and a population 15x the size to service. Surely without (as much) fuel duty in the treasury, there’s going to be less money for infrastructure projects?

It only takes 10 minutes to fill up a car, don’t need to do while asleep. I just do it when I need to while out, after shopping, whatever

Yes it's as simple as an electric socket.
If you want fast charging then you need more kit - but just about every car is sitting somewhere overnight.
These are going to be the bulk of chargers. People needing to fill up in 10 minutes are a tiny percentage and those chargers are far more expensive than a normal socket.

Already local councils are putting charging points in lamp posts.

And yes chargers are in petrol stations and car parks already. Just look around.

I'm sure we will have to pay for Road use. That'll replace the income from petrol tax. Makes sense - the more you drive the more you pay.

CXRAndy

Guru
Battery charging will never be as fast as petrol filling. That is the trade off for clean emission free driving.

If you're not even prepared for a small time penalty for having vastly cleaner air quality where you live, maybe you should reconsider your use of the type transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom