Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
You're Joking my daughter and boyfriend are buying a 4 bed detached house in the countryside for less than half the price of rent in London. Everyone is not deprived.

You're Joking my daughter and boyfriend are buying a 4 bed detached house in the countryside for less than half the price of rent in London. Everyone is not deprived.

Goo job I never said everyone was then. Presumably your daughter has factored in being able to live without private transport in her life choice.

Chislenko

Veteran
Just going back to the Range Rover wiping out the Tesla Charging Point.

Reading the story a bit more in depth it says one of the chaps charging his Tesla was an UBER driver.

If he has one of the "Free Charging For Life" Tesla's and uses it as an UBER he must be making a killing. (I realise still wear and tear and his wages etc) but he has removed one of the biggest costs, the fuel to run his Uber.

Brilliant piece of thinking that man.

CXRAndy

Guru
If he has one of the "Free Charging For Life" Tesla's and uses it as an UBER he must be making a killing.

It looked like a model 3 or Y. Tesla stopped offering free lifetime charging on Model S and X late 2019/20. Model 3 got one year free, but Im not sure this has continued into 2022 and beyond.

Edit these were the years where you either got one free year or lifetime

Model 3: 2018-2019
Tesla Model: Year(s)
Model S: 2012-2020
Model X: 2016-2020

Last edited:
Just going back to the Range Rover wiping out the Tesla Charging Point.

Reading the story a bit more in depth it says one of the chaps charging his Tesla was an UBER driver.

If he has one of the "Free Charging For Life" Tesla's and uses it as an UBER he must be making a killing. (I realise still wear and tear and his wages etc) but he has removed one of the biggest costs, the fuel to run his Uber.

Brilliant piece of thinking that man.

I've seen a Tesla private hire taxi round here. If he's charging at home he's probably paying 1/10 the cost of petrol.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I'm sure recycled EV batteries will be great for using as household batteries to charge from Solar Panels. They don't need to be as energy dense as they do in the car.

I'm going to revisit this possibility with the increasing fuel charges. We have PV panels and only use a small amount of the generated during the day, even when I'm working from home.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
How long will it take to provide charging points for people with no off road parking. Time is money, bet the commercial users would prefer the quick hydrogen refill.
There are already publicly accessible charging points which can be used by people who don't have off-street parking at their home. As an example, I was chatting with a friend who has recently switched from a ICE car to an EV. He recently had a journey from Fife to York and return the following day, a trip beyond the range of his MG. He parked overnight in a public car park with charging points and recharged whilst asleep. He also said he routinely plugs in to recharge when he goes shopping at the local Tesco supermarket, even if he is only there for a short period, he is effectively 'topping up' (for free) his car's range. It's just a change of mindset.

Yes commercial use will need either longer range of faster top-up. Hydrogen fits that requirement, but the distribution network is sparse, similar for CNG or other gas fuels.

Jameshow

Veteran
I rode 400k on a:-
cooked breakfast (ok some fossil fuel used!)
1 pack of wine gums
half a bar of chocolate (till it melted!)
A meal deal,
and a pint of Churchill cider and bowl of chips ...

No Tesla has ever traveled so far on such meagre rations!! 🤣🤣🤣

CXRAndy

Guru
It's just a change of mindset.
That's all it is to easily use an EV
Yes commercial use will need either longer range of faster top-up. Hydrogen fits that requirement, but the distribution network is sparse, similar for CNG or other gas fuels.
Tesla are just about to go live with their 'semi' haulage truck. Capable of either (battery capacity) 300 or 500 miles per day with fully loaded towing trailer. Out accelerates all other haulage trucks and will cost one tenth in fuel costs compared to a diesel alone to run.

Once the USA truckers see this, diesel haulage will die. They spend literally many many tens of thousands of $ per year fuelling each truck

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/tesla/tesla-semi-all-we-know-feb-2022/

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There are already publicly accessible charging points which can be used by people who don't have off-street parking at their home. As an example, I was chatting with a friend who has recently switched from a ICE car to an EV. He recently had a journey from Fife to York and return the following day, a trip beyond the range of his MG. He parked overnight in a public car park with charging points and recharged whilst asleep. He also said he routinely plugs in to recharge when he goes shopping at the local Tesco supermarket, even if he is only there for a short period, he is effectively 'topping up' (for free) his car's range. It's just a change of mindset.

That's fine but what percentage of cars are EVs at the moment? What happens when the majority of cars on a street of terraced houses is electric, majority of vehicles visiting a motorway services is an EV? Will we have enough charging points. 2 or 3 in a Tesco car park is all very well, but I remain to be convinced the number of charging points will match the demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom