Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I presume she means I Pace which is a full EV, however still designed around an ICE platform.

Buy once buy Tesla
That was me, I have no idea the difference between them, but I do know it's a 100% EV I just assumes E for 'Electric'

But just like Apple I'm not sure Tesla is the answer.

CXRAndy

Guru
But just like Apple I'm not sure Tesla is the answer.

I don't want Tesla's to be the only EV company, others have to catch up, I can't honestly recommend anything else - yet :okay:

gzoom

Über Member
Daft question for Tesla owners. The adaptive driving, or what it's called where the car responds to throttle, and slows when you let off. Sounds great in practice, but not good when you've a Tesla driver in front of you on a motorway, and he suddenly lets off the go pedal on a clear motorway, the car slows quickly without a brake light coming on, and it's like braking - I had to brake. He nearly got a Range Rover in his back at one point (not us).

As mentioned this is why people shouldn't tail gate for any kind of reason.

The brake lights in ALL evs follow very clear regulations set out by the EU. I belive its based on deceleration rates detected, essentially once the car starts slowing down significantly the brake lights WILL come on.

If the brake lights don't come on, than the rate of deceleration is pretty minor and not far off what engine braking does in a combustion car, if someone runs into some else because they were following so closely behind they couldn't anticipate/manage engine braking the fault is pretty clearly with the following driver.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't want Tesla's to be the only EV company, others have to catch up, I can't honestly recommend anything else - yet :okay:

It's not the technology, it's the ethos I object to, although I can almost guarantee I will never own a Tesla as they want to control everything about the vehicle.

Unless they have changed their views, there was a guy in the US he bought one that was written off in an accident & another written off in a flood. He wanted to take the good battery out of the accident damaged one & put it in the flood damaged one, they wouldn't even sell him plastic door clips for either vehicle as they knew both vehicles were written off. No manufacturer should have that much power.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've found various sources (although nothing primary) that seem to agree that according to regulations in the UK, for a deceleration rate...
  • less than or equal to 0.7 m/s/s the signal shall not be generated
  • greater than 0.7 m/s/s and less than or equal to 1.3 m/s/s the signal may be generated
  • greater than 1.3 m/s/s the signal shall be generated.
For context, a decel rate of 9.8 m/s/s is "one G" and is around the hardest braking that most people will ever do.

If a Tesla or any other electric car is not doing this then it is defective or interfered with. Just like any of the countless ICE cars I have followed over the years whose brake light switch was either jammed on or not working meaning no brake light warning when the vehicle was slowing.

CXRAndy

Guru
Unless they have changed their views, there was a guy in the US he bought one that was written off in an accident & another written off in a flood. He wanted to take the good battery out of the accident damaged one & put it in the flood damaged one, they wouldn't even sell him plastic door clips for either vehicle as they knew both vehicles were written off. No manufacturer should have that much power

lm fully aware of Rich Rebuilds YouTube channel. He has done quite a lot to bring Tesla's less savoury attitudes to the media. Tesla have changed their ways off the back of his campaigns. He did build one good model S out of two write-off vehicles. To this day his daughter still drives it. Tesla locked down their supercharger network to non certified repaired vehicles on the premise of safety -which you can't argue with. Partly the reason Tesla locked out repaired vehicles was the huge negative publicity Rich Rebuilds was creating. Until his campaign he was able to supercharge his own rebuilt model S.

What Rich did was force Tesla to allow non authorised repairers full access to Tesla service data and diagnostics. You can repair Tesla's,it's just not as easy

DRM

Guru
I think someone has been tinkering around with the settings for the regenerative braking, it should not slow that rapidly and the brake lights should come on too

It's called regenerative braking (regen). Brake lights do come on automatically when you lift off quickly. If you ease off power the car slows down, a bit quicker than an ICE, but it's controllable.

For the range rover, obviously wasn't driving with the sensible 2 sec gap which at 70mph is a minimum of 205ft or 68yds.

To summarize the range rover driver was a complete dickhead. Trying to blame the guy in front:laugh:
Not necessarily, to me the owner of the Tesla has been tinkering with the settings that adjust the regen braking, or the car is faulty, it should slow in a similar fashion to an ice car on over run not brake check the car behind without displaying brake lights!

CXRAndy

Guru
I beg to differ, various vehicles have different levels of deceleration depending on engine type.

I love the way EVs rapidly decelerate. Reminds me of riding torquey V twin motorcycles.

Also means I never need to use the cars brakes -except emergency situations.

If you need to brake aggressively for the vehicle in front, you're far too close to it whilst moving

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
I emailed Top Gear earlier, with the suggestion that, for the new series, they try to get the McMurtry onto the track
If they could, that will be very interesting..............

DRM

Guru
I beg to differ, various vehicles have different levels of deceleration depending on engine type.

I love the way EVs rapidly decelerate. Reminds me of riding torquey V twin motorcycles.

Also means I never need to use the cars brakes -except emergency situations.

If you need to brake aggressively for the vehicle in front, you're far too close to it whilst moving

Not always, if the brake lights of the vehicle in front don’t work, then the driver following can find themselves having to brake aggressively as there’s no clue that they’re braking till you realise you’re getting very close, very quickly

CXRAndy

Guru
Not always, if the brake lights of the vehicle in front don’t work, then the driver following can find themselves having to brake aggressively as there’s no clue that they’re braking till you realise you’re getting very close, very quickly

It comes down to having the necessary thinking and braking time from the vehicle in front. I reckon 80% of drivers flagrantly disregard the 2 sec rule and literally drive a cars length or less tailgating. It's always possible the car in front has defective brake lights. That is why the safe driving guidance is to give yourself space to react to the unexpected.

It has nothing to do whether it's an EV, torquey V twin bike or any other vehicle.

If you can't perceive a change in pace stay further back.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's called regenerative braking (regen). Brake lights do come on automatically when you lift off quickly. If you ease off power the car slows down, a bit quicker than an ICE, but it's controllable.

For the range rover, obviously wasn't driving with the sensible 2 sec gap which at 70mph is a minimum of 205ft or 68yds.

To summarize the range rover driver was a complete dickhead. Trying to blame the guy in front:laugh:
"The Highway Code tells drivers to allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying faster-moving traffic and in tunnels where visibility is reduced. The gap should be wider as speeds increase. It rises to 2.4 seconds – about 53 metres – when driving at 50mph and 3.1 seconds – or 96 metres – at 70mph.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...rs-to-use-the-two-second-rule-in-new-campaign

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
It comes down to having the necessary thinking and braking time from the vehicle in front. I reckon 80% of drivers flagrantly disregard the 2 sec rule and literally drive a cars length or less tailgating. It's always possible the car in front has defective brake lights. That is why the safe driving guidance is to give yourself space to react to the unexpected.

It has nothing to do whether it's an EV, torquey V twin bike or any other vehicle.

What if you're trying to stay 2 seconds away from the car behind you? :okay:

DRM

Guru

Never said anything about not being able to perceive distance or tailgating , I’m thinking about driving on a fast A road/Motorway, I’ll put it simply, you are following a vehicle at a safe distance, something occurs in front of that vehicle that leads to traffic slowing quickly, the vehicle in front of you has inoperative brake lights, you get the oh shoot moment and have to brake very hard due to a lack of brake lights, on a rapidly decelerating vehicle, yet you have done nothing wrong, I also said that I suspect that the EV mentioned was either faulty, or had been messed about with in order to make it regen brake much harsher than it’s set to in the factory, the lack of brake lights making a bad situation worse, doesn’t matter what is propelling the thing, it’s another unsafe vehicle that’s not fit to be on the road until it’s repaired

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom