Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never said anything about not being able to perceive distance or tailgating , I’m thinking about driving on a fast A road/Motorway, I’ll put it simply, you are following a vehicle at a safe distance, something occurs in front of that vehicle that leads to traffic slowing quickly, the vehicle in front of you has inoperative brake lights, you get the oh shoot moment and have to brake very hard due to a lack of brake lights, on a rapidly decelerating vehicle, yet you have done nothing wrong, I also said that I suspect that the EV mentioned was either faulty, or had been messed about with in order to make it regen brake much harsher than it’s set to in the factory, the lack of brake lights making a bad situation worse, doesn’t matter what is propelling the thing, it’s another unsafe vehicle that’s not fit to be on the road until it’s repaired

Surely you can see when something is getting closer to you ? Bikes don't have brake lights but people are able to ride in a bunch safely?

It's definitely not safe to be that closeto the car in front to have to rely on brake lights.

gzoom

Über Member
I also said that I suspect that the EV mentioned was either faulty, or had been messed about with in order to make it regen brake much harsher than it’s set to in the factory

Why?? You cannot just 'mess' with the regen settings interms of changing when the brake lights come on, as already stated its related to deceleration rates.

As for a fault, why would it be faulty? The brakes and lights are integral safety systems which will have multiple self checks.

I've done 75k miles in all kinds of EVs now, I've never once been rammed by any other car due to what you are describing.

Following too closely the one of the most common causes of any accident, along with speeding.

Alex321

Veteran
Surely you can see when something is getting closer to you ? Bikes don't have brake lights but people are able to ride in a bunch safely?

It's definitely not safe to be that closeto the car in front to have to rely on brake lights.

He didn't say he has to rely on brake lights, he said he had to brake harder as a result of no brake lights.

Yes, you can see when something is getting closer, but it takes time to notice that when it has been a constant distance, then suddenly starts getting closer quickly with no indication. It will take a large fraction of a second longer to realise he is getting closer than it would to react to his brake lights.

Alex321

Veteran
Why?? You cannot just 'mess' with the regen settings interms of changing when the brake lights come on, as already stated its related to deceleration rates.

As for a fault, why would it be faulty? The brakes and lights are integral safety systems which will have multiple self checks.
Every car can have faults. ICE cars sometimes have faulty brake lights, why should Evs be any different?
I've done 75k miles in all kinds of EVs now, I've never once been rammed by any other car due to what you are describing.

Nor have I ever been rammed from behind due to faulty brake lights on my car, having driven MANY different cars over what must be over a million miles by now. I have been. Hit from behind a few times, but not due to faulty lights.

You aren't often going to get one with faulty brake lights, but it does happen.

DRM

Guru

Following too closely the one of the most common causes of any accident, along with speeding.

I wish you’d read correctly what I had written, I didn’t say anything at all about tailgating, following too close or speeding, what I did say say was I suspect the brake lights had failed, therefore the first clue about it slowing has been removed, it then means you have less time to react to the car braking, increasing the required braking distance, it doesn’t matter how many warnings come up on the dash, people will still drive the bl**dy thing without giving two hoots about the people following them, as for altering the parameters of the cars software, I’d put money on it somebody has worked out how to get into the software and start altering parameter settings of a Tesla, I know of someone who has done just that on a Prius.

DRM

Guru
Every car can have faults. ICE cars sometimes have faulty brake lights, why should Evs be any different?

Nor have I ever been rammed from behind due to faulty brake lights on my car, having driven MANY different cars over what must be over a million miles by now. I have been. Hit from behind a few times, but not due to faulty lights.

You aren't often going to get one with faulty brake lights, but it does happen.

Thanks, I thought it was only me that thought any car ever made could go faulty at some point in its life

FishFright

More wheels than sense

I think many of these stories are what one could charitably call apocryphal.

gzoom

Über Member
I’d put money on it somebody has worked out how to get into the software and start altering parameter settings of a Tesla, I know of someone who has done just that on a Prius.

So you are suggesting the Tesla driver is somekind of master hackers, and decided to disable the link between regen and brake lights......Why would they do this even if they could? Or is it a case of the RangRover driver just tailgating too closely.

In my experience, the simplier answer is usually the truth.

icowden

Veteran
Thanks, I thought it was only me that thought any car ever made could go faulty at some point in its life

It's possible, just unlikely. Tesla is the car *most* likely to activate brake lights when regen braking kicks in. At higher speeds the brake lights will flash briefly rather than coming on steadily so the car behind doesn't slam on the brakes. If the car is maxed out and regenerative braking doesn't need to kick in, but the car slows due to inertia then the brake lights won't come on.

Interestingly other EVs have different results depending on the level of regenerative braking that has been set up. lower levels won't trigger the brake light.

vickster

Legendary Member
good grief

Attachments

• FE716D7D-D343-4D3F-8977-E16BD5346B2B.jpeg
    FE716D7D-D343-4D3F-8977-E16BD5346B2B.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4

Chislenko

Veteran
An internet pop up today says Alfa's next all electric car (due by 2026) will have a range of close to 500 mile. Obviously as Alfa is part of the group that owns Fiat, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc one would think this would apply to all the makes.

Once the range does hit circa 500 miles that is when electric cars would become an option for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom