Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Daft question for Tesla owners. The adaptive driving, or what it's called where the car responds to throttle, and slows when you let off. Sounds great in practice, but not good when you've a Tesla driver in front of you on a motorway, and he suddenly lets off the go pedal on a clear motorway, the car slows quickly without a brake light coming on, and it's like braking - I had to brake. He nearly got a Range Rover in his back at one point (not us).

figbat

Slippery scientist
EVs have to show brake lights if they decelerate above a certain threshold. Mine shows brake lights for ANY regen deceleration. So whilst I rarely touch the brake pedal, the brake lights come on frequently.

The same is not true for motorbikes though - my last V-twin would almost stand on its nose when I rolled off but no brake lights shown. It was something I had to be wary of.

Daft question for Tesla owners. The adaptive driving, or what it's called where the car responds to throttle, and slows when you let off. Sounds great in practice, but not good when you've a Tesla driver in front of you on a motorway, and he suddenly lets off the go pedal on a clear motorway, the car slows quickly without a brake light coming on, and it's like braking - I had to brake. He nearly got a Range Rover in his back at one point (not us).

That shouldn't happen. My leaf shows brake lights when I take my foot off the pedal.
It's a lovely way to drive. Hardly have to touch the brakes at all.

fossyant

That shouldn't happen. My leaf shows brake lights when I take my foot off the pedal.
It's a lovely way to drive. Hardly have to touch the brakes at all.

I know it probably shouldn't, but his brake lights didn't come on until he actually braked - so they did work, but my word it suddenly slowed when taking off the gas.

DRM

Guru
Even electric forklifts that are fitted with road going lights show brake lights as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and it regen brakes, as well as when you press the brake pedal to stop the thing

D

Deleted member 26715

Just been talking to the lady in our accounts department, she got in her husbands E-Pace on Saturday to go somewhere, started to reverse it off the drive & a tortoise symbol appeared on the dash. She did try to drive up the road & it topped out at 5mph, she had to come back & jump in her own 15 year old diesel Toyota to make the journey. This is not the first time they've been let down with the E-Pace & feel like there always has to be another car on standby for it.

Jaguar tech came out yesterday, advised it needed a software update, spent 10 minutes doing it & all is now right again. But how can Jaguar think it acceptable to do that? They were lucky they were at home with alternative transport, what if they hadn't been at home? Surely the updates could be installed automatically via WiFi or installed SIM (if it has one)

DRM

Guru

I know it probably shouldn't, but his brake lights didn't come on until he actually braked - so they did work, but my word it suddenly slowed when taking off the gas.
I think someone has been tinkering around with the settings for the regenerative braking, it should not slow that rapidly and the brake lights should come on too

fossyant

Just been talking to the lady in our accounts department, she got in her husbands E-Pace on Saturday to go somewhere, started to reverse it off the drive & a tortoise symbol appeared on the dash. She did try to drive up the road & it topped out at 5mph, she had to come back & jump in her own 15 year old diesel Toyota to make the journey. This is not the first time they've been let down with the E-Pace & feel like there always has to be another car on standby for it.

Jaguar tech came out yesterday, advised it needed a software update, spent 10 minutes doing it & all is now right again. But how can Jaguar think it acceptable to do that? They were lucky they were at home with alternative transport, what if they hadn't been at home? Surely the updates could be installed automatically via WiFi or installed SIM (if it has one)

It's a Jag, leccy or oil burner, they are all shoot. JRL cars need to be avoided, as the electronics in them are messed up. Colleague is on first mane terms with the Landrover Technicians with his Evoque. It's always faulty - usually an electrical issue.

icowden

Veteran
Yep, but Jag are an ICE manufacturer dabbling in EV. If you want a proper EV go to an EV manufacturer that has put in the work.

CXRAndy

Guru

It's called regenerative braking (regen). Brake lights do come on automatically when you lift off quickly. If you ease off power the car slows down, a bit quicker than an ICE, but it's controllable.

For the range rover, obviously wasn't driving with the sensible 2 sec gap which at 70mph is a minimum of 205ft or 68yds.

To summarize the range rover driver was a complete dickhead. Trying to blame the guy in front:laugh:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
The Jaguar E pace isn't electric its low emission ICE:laugh:

I presume she means I Pace which is a full EV, however still designed around an ICE platform.

Buy once buy Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom