Are we being forced to go electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
a road legal e-assist bike will not get you up a steep hill. Nor will it get you up any substantial incline without pedalling. And even a bit of pedalling in the summer made me sweat

In the summer - even walking would make you sweat. It's not really an issue - he says as someone who walked or cycled to work for 25+ years.

I forgot everyone lives on top of a hill.

classic33

Leg End Member
In the summer - even walking would make you sweat. It's not really an issue - he says as someone who walked or cycled to work for 25+ years.

I forgot everyone lives on top of a hill.
I live halfway up/down one.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
saIt's an uphill finish whichever way I arrive home.

Time to find a house somewhere flatter. Not sure Righmove has that search filter.

I didn't apprecite how good my old commute was; 13 miles each way, pretty much flat, and lots of quiet lanes and cycling facilities, so cars wheren't much of an issue. - I'd toddle along 12 mph so as not arrive at work all sweaty.

Obviously could go faster in the evning.
1675374173886.png

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Be interesting to see if this Govt. goes the whole way and eventually demand that the 3.6 million ICE motor bikes on our roads be changed to EV ones - ! :rofl:
It's unlikely that any Govt will demand that existing ICE vehicles of any type will need to be changed to alternative power sources. They have already given notice that they will not allow any new ICE cars to be sold.
It is though likely that supplies of petroleum based fuels will become more difficult to find, that those prices will increase, and as more LEZs are created, polluting ICE vehicles will be restricted in use.
Some people still use steam powered vehicles........

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
What do we all think will happen in 7/8/9 years time?

Will prices of used ICE cars skyrocket?
Will used ICE cars be like rocking horse poop becasue those who don't want EVs will hang on to them?
Will there be another scrappage scheme?

Alex321

Veteran

Will used ICE cars be like rocking horse poop becasue those who don't want EVs will hang on to them?

I think the latter two are both likely, the first is unlikely. In fact even though they will become scarce, I think prices in that time frame will plummet. People who REALLY don't want to change will be hanging on to them as long as they can, but relatively few people replacing their cars around that time will be going for another ICE, which will mean 2nd hand prices are unlikely to be high.

midlife

Guru

Government line is that due to the economies of scale of production of EV's the price will come tumbling down so will be affordable and cheaper than ICE new or used. Chargers will be plentiful.

The government uses the analogy of the price of microwave ovens plummeting in price over the years.

geocycle

Legendary Member

crystal ball time! A lot depends on costs at the time, if EVs come down, charging issues are resolved, cost of electric falls again AND price of petrol and VED on ICEs goes up then…. There will be a hard core of folks who hang on to ICEs for decades. Bit like those of us who don’t see the point in swapping from rim brakes to discs…!

Meanwhile the sons Zoe is serving him well, cost him £7 to top up, doesn’t have a home charging option but has a good deal with a charge point operator. I’ve just paid nearly a grand to sort out problems on my aging ford so watch his experience carefully.

Gunk

Guru
What if she was abducted by aliens and installed as leader on a far away planet ?

What if she can afford one , has a driveway and would only need to charge weekly with such a small commute. I don't know and neither do you.

On a serious note this debate has fallen into those who know things and those who pick single cases out of the ether because they've all run out of reasons .

I doubt she has a house in Kingston with a driveway on a nurses salary. Considering some nurses are now depending on food banks, I can’t quite see how they can afford an electric car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom