Are you a lone rider or group cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another soloist here - don't know anyone else who rides and don't want to join a club or particpate in sportives/organised group rides due to headgear policies (no arguements please).
No argument. Just a friendly reminder that no full CTC or Cycle Nation group has a headgear policy. If you find one trying, please let the national body know (I've read of one CTC group trying and being stopped.)

Sandra6

Veteran
I've always ridden alone, or with Mr6 - and don't tell him, but I prefer to go by myself.
I thought perhaps I was missing out and joined a club that professed to be "not like the other clubs" And to be fair, the members I've met are pretty lovely, but I really didn't enjoy group rides. I either feel I'll hold them up, or I don't want to go that slow. I like to just set my own pace and go where the wheels take me.
I tried joining a running club and I didn't like that either.
I think I'm a bit anti social.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Until today I "mostly" cycled with a friend as he preferred company.
For various reasons I enjoy solo cycling and will be doing a 25 miler on my own this morning.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Definitely prefer on my own as I never seem to feel the same two days running so would find it frustrating trying to match speed with someone else. I also feel I can concentrate on the road better on my own.

Nice 48 miler first thing this morning. Just enjoying the peace and quiet and watching and listening to the wildlife without someone yattering in my lugs. Lol.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I have a friend I meet up with roughly once a year, and last year I joined a few Kajsa rides, but other than that, almost exclusively alone. I don't think I've ever taken part in anything that might be described as a club ride.

This may seem like the ultimate heresy, but...I really don't enjoy café stops, and for most groups these seem to be de rigueur. An unnecessary waste of precious cycling time.

I've done a few Audaxes, but they seem to involve riding alone most of the time with enforced café stops. The attractions lie elsewhere - locking horns with someone else's challenge for a change, and it's great to meet people along the way.

Having written this, I have a strong feeling I could be missing something, and perhaps I should put that right while there's still time.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't ridden in/with a group since last August. I found it becoming a bit of a chore rather than a pleasure. As others have said,you can go as far or as little as you want when on your own. I had a few disagreements with other riders who thought it was a "challenge" to ride on roads like the A59 in wet conditions with tidal wave size sprays coming from juggernauts,when it would've been safer and more pleasurable to avoid it and ride through nearly villages. They had their uses though. They'd change a tube for me if i punctured.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I'm not a club member , or ridden with anyone else , I find I like to go at my own pace , stop if I want and when I want , but I'm trying to get my son involved and see how that goes.

Oxo

Guru
I usually ride with a friend and fortunately we have similar levels of stamina, ride comfortably at a speed which suits us both and, most importantly, both have wives who are pleased to see the back of us whenever we decide to go.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm with @GrumpyGregry here. I ride solo, or with the CTC, or with mates, or with other CycleChat peeps. It's all good.
A ten day tour on your tod gets a bit lonely, but it forces me to talk to people, which I sometimes find a bit uncomfortable. Especially if I have to do it in French.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Happy solo rider here too.

Little me on my shrunk-in-a-boil-wash bike is too slow to ride in most groups - I tend to ride at around 10 / 11 mph so would easily get left behind.

The club I belong to has loads of rides that go out at that speed

screenman

Legendary Member
Funny how many people like to be in their own, yet come on here so often.

Mostly alone here nowadays this may be changing soon as I intend to up the mileage again.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Really enjoyed the chain gang when I was much younger but couldn't keep up now. Also enjoyed club runs but got fed up of wasting the first half hour of the day arguing about where we were going to go so stopped doing that too. Tried a social ride on here but that was so slow I almost froze to death so don't do that either.
Having said that I enjoy the autonomy of solo riding, going where I want when I want and with no hanging around in teashops.

Top Bottom