Are you a real cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've decided I'm not:

not because I've never toured

done a sportive /audax

never raced

only commute when the weather is nice (spring to autumn)

never get the miles in I intend

failing to use the turbo (to address the above)

don't understand half the things people talk about...

no the reason is, the bloke I drive past on his gas-pipe tubed, down-tube shiftered, at least 20 year old (probably 27" wheeled) 'racer' - going home everynight the other way, yesterday it was -6!!!!!!

I'm a wimp! not a real cyclist

Dave5N

Über Member
I have done most of those. Not a real cyclist though as I am a bit fair weather and also fail to get the miles in.

Also overweight, which is, shall we say, atypical.

bonj2

craigwend said:
I've decided I'm not:

not because I've never toured

done a sportive /audax

never raced

only commute when the weather is nice (spring to autumn)

never get the miles in I intend

failing to use the turbo (to address the above)

don't understand half the things people talk about...

no the reason is, the bloke I drive past on his gas-pipe tubed, down-tube shiftered, at least 20 year old (probably 27" wheeled) 'racer' - going home everynight the other way, yesterday it was -6!!!!!!

none of those things mean you're not a real cyclist. Touring is impractical for most of us unless you're a teacher, layabout or for some other reason enjoy the luxury of weeks or months on end off work at once.
Audax/sportive just basically involve joining a club that'll give you a medal for going on a bike ride. But it's not free, so if you want a medal, you might aswell just buy one from a medal shop.
Racing - fine if you're into it, and can find people of your standard who'll race with you. Not necessary, though.
Commute - I'm the same, usually - but don't discount the possibility that the weather can be nice in winter. Last week, for example, was not bad.
Miles - no point setting yourself a 'mileage target'. All sorts of factors could affect it which are outside the realms of the purpose of setting the target, i.e. how good at cycling you're getting.
Turbo - pointless.
Understand what people are talking about? Most people on here talk bollocks.

Abitrary

craigwend said:

No my friend. By admitting that you don't actually cycle you have become something more. Something badly needed... a renaissance cyclist... a cyclist for all seasons.

A cyclist of substance.

Is a real cyclist someone who mainly cycles because they have to (e.g. for commuting where for some reason they can't use alternative transport) or someone who mainly cycles because they don't have to, but choose to?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I think that's one of the first times I've agreed with everything Bonj has said in a post.

I might go and lie down now.....

(so true about the turbo, and the audax thing made me LOL)

Aint Skeered

I firstly,as Bonj said, I probably talk bollocks most of the time.
But I am a cycling fanatic.
Train to race mainly (3rd crap rider) on the road and circuits.
Started off in Tr*athlon many moons ago.
Done the club thing, but now ride in a small team for the LBS.
Taken part in R.T's as winter training.
Never done or likely to do an Audax, as mudgaurds are a sin.
Competed in TT's but could not focus, and inverably found myself working out how much I owed the VAT man for the last quarter!
So yes, I regard myself as a real cyclist.
ps Turbo not pointless, a necessary evil.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
bonj said:
none of those things mean you're not a real cyclist. Touring is impractical for most of us unless you're a teacher, layabout or for some other reason enjoy the luxury of weeks or months on end off work at once.
Audax/sportive just basically involve joining a club that'll give you a medal for going on a bike ride. But it's not free, so if you want a medal, you might aswell just buy one from a medal shop.
Racing - fine if you're into it, and can find people of your standard who'll race with you. Not necessary, though.
Commute - I'm the same, usually - but don't discount the possibility that the weather can be nice in winter. Last week, for example, was not bad.
Miles - no point setting yourself a 'mileage target'. All sorts of factors could affect it which are outside the realms of the purpose of setting the target, i.e. how good at cycling you're getting.
Turbo - pointless.
Understand what people are talking about? Most people on here talk bollocks.

OK, who are you ? You are obviously not the real bonj, since I agree with everything you have said, you make perfect sense and write coherently. Please go away, and let the real bonj return :ohmy:;):biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
beanzontoast said:
Is a real cyclist .... someone who mainly cycles because they don't have to, but choose to?
Well that would be me... I cycle to go anywhere (not too far away), even to the sports centre just up the road.:ohmy:

Mortiroloboy

I ride mostly for the enjoyment of being on a bicycle, also for the fitness that cycling brings, and to a certain degree the social aspect of riding with like minded people, in short I consider myself to be a cyclist.:biggrin:

Top Bottom