Are you happy where you live????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plague

Area yes, house no. Lancaster is a fantastic little town with the Trough of Bowland - quite possibly one of the nicest parts of the Country only, hmm, 500 yds from my house! (well, the start of it is anyway!)

Plague

Globalti said:
The house isn't anything special but it's warm, dry and secure.

The garden isn't anything special but we look west over open fields so we get real weather and sunshine.

The neighbours are brilliant, especially after our nightmare 6 years ago when drug dealers moved in next door.

We are 1 hour from Windermere and on the edge of the Ribble Valley, with the Pennines to the east and the West Pennines to the south, Dales to the north, perfect for road and off road cycling.

Once away from the town, traffic is light and on an early Sunday ride I might not see a car for an hour.

Our water comes from a reservoir up the hill and is delicious.

We seldom pay full price for anything as we are surrounded by places like Boundary Mill Stores and other mill discount shops as well as close to Ribble Cycles. We have a dozen bike shops within cycling distance.

There must be 10 to 15 great craft breweries within 20 miles producing excellent ales and 3 or 4 great pubs serving the ales correctly within 5 miles.

Gti junior's school: 10 minutes. Mrs Gti's worK; 5 minutes beyond that and she works school hours only.

Manchester, a fantastic city with great shops and attractions: 30 minutes.

So yes, pretty happy.

Sounds like Gt. Harwood/Clitheroe way?? Not too far from where I'm from! (Gt. Harwood!)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yep, just north of Blackburn on the Clitheroe road. The Trough is my training ride - did it via Glasson Dock and Lancaster once last year, which near killed me!

We should meet for a Trough ride. ColinJ likes long rides too.

ASC1951

Guru
Kirstie said:
It's time for a move for me:
too quiet
too far from work, nightlife and culture - we're bored
selfish neighbours
no public transport links
house is a money pit
BUT
superb cycling on the doorstep, which is its saving grace.
May I suggest Leeds? A sensible size, all the culture you could want, relatively cheap housing and brilliant cycling all around.

dragon72 said:
If you own the house at least the money pit has a bottom. If you're renting like me, the money pit is bottomless!

That's true, although despite extensive soundings with one of those machines from "20 000 Leagues Under The Sea" we still haven't found the bottom yet.;) At least when we rented we could phone the landlord and say "oi, landlord. Mend this for us" and he did.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Leeds? Isn't that in Yorkshire? (shudder)

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Mixed bag.

Quiet road
Nice neighbours
10 mins from work by bike.
10 metres from open countryside.
No pub - and the associated drunks.
Nice biking area.

Minus side - I have to travel to go skiing, or mountain biking in the Alps and have to pay exhorbitant ferry prices just to set foot on the continent.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Rhythm Thief said:
I like what George MacDonald Fraser said about Yorkshire in one of the Flashman books: "a sort of English Texas peopled by coarse braggarts and one or two decentish slow bowlers" :biggrin:. And I speak as a Yorkshireeman.

I've been to Texas a few times and generally they're very nice people, Yorkshire on the other hand ...

;)

Top Bottom