Are you happy where you live????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The thing that strikes me about this thread is how many people are happy about where they live. Given that we don't all live in paradise it shows a really positive outlook and a commendable glass half attitude.
I wondered whether it was a function of being a cyclist - healthy body, healthy mind but that doesn't explain Greedo:biggrin:

Alan Whicker

Leytonstone, in yer East End of London. Bit of a mixed area, some bits run down and some bits pretty posh. We like it - It gets its claws in you and you realise it has a certain 'shabby chic' charm. 20 minutes by tube from the West End one way, the boundless vastness of Epping Forest t'other.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Yes. We were very lucky with the house. It had benefited from seventy years of neglect, by which I mean that the doors, balustrade, fireplaces and so on were the original, and, although in need of a clean, now look just lovely.

And, a little way up the road is an open green space covered in daffodils.

We're five minutes ride from The Kid's school - that was our reason for moving here. One of my oldest friends lives four doors down. Most of my long term friends live within two miles. The street is quiet, but there are wonderful restaurants within twenty minutes walk, and we're a cab ride from the West End. And, best of all, we're an hour by bike (at husband and wife speed) from Portnalls Road, and the road over the North Downs.

I didn't want to move here. I loved living in Battersea. Now it would take axle grease and crowbars to get me out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
palinurus said:
On the face of it Watford is a shoot place.

However London's just down the road, plenty good cycling around, plenty time trials and cyclocross events within riding distance and it's easy to get an allotment. I live right in the centre, it can be a bit lively on Friday and Saturday nights. I like lively, but I'm not keen on Watford-style lively.

Too expensive though, I'm going to be renting forever. Or until I die, whichever comes sooner.

But I'm happy, yeah.
Fixed that for you! :angry:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Hmmm, house is fine, nice big twin garage that's never seen a car:biggrin:, neighbours are fine, schools good, access to town and amenities good, access to London <1 hr, access to country lanes by bike about 2 minutes. But Farnborough itself, not so keen, I grew up near Croydon and Farnborough always seems like a mini version of that. I think the general area around Aldershot suffers from army camp follower syndrome.

But it's a fair compromise, given the choice I'd be much more remote, but I do recognise the downside to that from a family perspective. We could have gone for a more secluded area around this way....if we'd had about £1 million to spend:ohmy:. In the same vein if I'm going to be more urban then I quite like places like Richmond, but again I'd need a lottery win to live there. Or at least in a house I'd want to live in.

looe

Yes I do.
I live 40 yards from the seafront, can smell, hear and see the sea from my house......400 yards from quiet country cycling lanes........ :angry:
And the life down here is slooooooooow

al78

Guru
Yes, when I moved about two years ago I chose a location that was optimised for getting to work by bike yet still close to the facilities of a large town. I'm about 40 minutes by bike from work, 10 minutes by bike from the town centre, and about 50 yards from the countryside. I'm also blessed with an excellent network of country lanes nearby* which are ideal for cycling both for leisure and transport.

*although some of them are in a real mess now.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A line from a Steve Forbert song...

"Nothing really matters 'til it's closer than the house next door".

We have been very lucky, and yes, I love it here. Fingers are always crossed...

Yes,

30’s Semi looking over the Bay towards North Devon & Somerset.
50 mins drive to the Capital City
10 mins drive to the Beach
10 mins drive to Gower
Plenty of vehicle free cycle paths - routes
30 mins ish cycle in to work
40 mins ish up hill cycle home
Oh! I won’t lie to you Wind Street is cracking on a Thursday Friday and Saturday night!!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Ye
, I love were I live. It's in a very small village in the new national park. Excellent routes for cycling and trails for jogging. Today I'll be jogging on the South Downs Way, with my goldie.
Downish points, I commute to London everyday 2hrs ew and next door, seven kids, (the only thing that would make me sell up).

asterix

Comrade Member
York's pretty good: near the North York Moors, Wolds and Dales. Would like to be nearer the sea but the Mediterranean, not the Humber Estuary.

Next month I'll be back in the Limousin for 6 months work on the barn conversion. Superb cycling country on or off the roads, you've gotta love hills though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yes, very much so.

We're in a great community full of interesting and friendly people, on an island. We can see the lake from our front windows. In the summer we canoe in it, in the winter we skate on it. The island has no police, no CCTV cameras, and the school has no fences. The nearest town (and work) is a short bike and ferry ride away. It's not an exciting town, but Toronto and Montreal are both around 2 hours by train (and you can also get to New York by train too). Our house is small and suits us, and more importantly we have an acre of gently sloping ground which will gradually be transformed into a forest garden, and an old two-storey barn...

The only downside is that there are no real hills around here!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No CCTV cameras? You poor things...how do you survive?

*sigh*

Great Britain - Land of The Free: home to 25% of the entire world's stock of CCTV cameras.

Top Bottom