Are you happy where you live????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Globalti said:
Yep, just north of Blackburn on the Clitheroe road. The Trough is my training ride - did it via Glasson Dock and Lancaster once last year, which near killed me!

We should meet for a Trough ride. ColinJ likes long rides too.
My ears are burning! ;)

If that ride nearly killed you from home, try doing The Trough and Glasson Dock from Halifax (and back) with your rear brake stuck on! :biggrin: :biggrin:

PS To answer the OP...

I have never regretted my decision to move to Hebden Bridge 24 years ago.

In road cycling terms it is great. The local hills are fantastic to ride on and we have the Peak District to the south, the Yorkshire Dales to the north and the Forest of Bowland to the north-west.

The countryside round here is also great for mountain biking and walking.

I can buy most of what I need for everyday life without going out of town.

There is easy access to Leeds and Manchester by rail and from those cities to the rest of the country.

longers

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
BUT
superb cycling on the doorstep, which is its saving grace.

TotalyFixed is from your part of the world and he and his other half were out with us on Sunday just gone and said the road surfaces round your way are much superior to what they encountered on the ride.
We're just used to them I guess ;)

No. But it will do.
I have just taken delivery of all my son's + girlfriend's chattels prior to them going to Hong Kong for six months work, I have a room for my bikes, a room for 'making stuff', one for drawing and associated, sleeping room and large lounge etc - but why have I arrived, at my age, sleeping above a bank and next to a Sam's Chicken when I don't eat the stuff?
Search me! :rolleyes:
(If the bikes paid rent, it would be paradise! :rolleyes:)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quiet Road, tucked away - not overlooked
Playing Field at rear of house for kids
I have GARAGE !
Good views - 30 miles out into Cheshire/Manchester over to Winter Hill
Great cycling on doorstep - flat, hilly or f'ing hilly :rolleyes: roads are shot to bits though.

Manchester centre of the Universe - 'ave it !!!!:rolleyes:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On the face of it Watford is a shoot place.

However London's just down the road, plenty good cycling around, plenty time trials and cyclocross events within riding distance and it's easy to get an allotment. I live right in the centre, it can be a bit lively on Friday and Saturday nights. I like lively, but I'm not keen on Watford-style lively.

Too expensive though, I'm going to be renting forever. Or until I die, whichever comes sooner.

But I'm happy, yeah.

Bandini

Yep. Pleasant market town with nice places to eat and drink; 1 minutes cycle to pasture land, and then lots of countryside and back lanes to the Wolds/Moors; 18 miles to the coast (back lanes - about 12 otherwise, but crap); York not too far away... some decent folk - McGinty! I think the Yorkshire brusqueness and can sometimes give the wrong impression!

Plax

Guru
Yes and No.
I love my house and the area I live in.
I hate my neighbours with a passion. On top of the noise tonight I got home to find some tw@t had parked in front of my drive (again). No guessing which neighbours friend that was.

bauldbairn

Good area,
Good neighbours,
Nice private, modernish apartment(< 10 years old),
No through traffic(cul de sac),
2.5 miles from town centre,
Bus stop at the end of the road,
Pub at the end of the road,
Work < 3miles(1.5 by foot,bike),
4 Train stations,
3 miles to Mum's house,
3 miles from the Antonine Wall and Rough Castle(built by the Romans 1900ish yrs ago to keep the people of Falkirk out of the Roman Empire, :angry:)
Good cycling roads - not too many pot holes(not too many Ar$ehole drivers),
2 miles from greenbelt,
1 mile from Forth and Clyde canal cycle paths,
2 miles from Union canal cycle paths,
100 yards from Carron River cycle paths,
25 miles from Glasgow,
25 miles from Edinburgh,
11 miles from Stirling,
30 miles from the start of the Highlands(Callander):rolleyes:,

Lived there for 7 years - and took all the above for granted until I thought about it just now. :rolleyes:

So, yes I must like where I live. :arrow:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Yes... you can't beat being near the sea.

I would like to live somewhere that had smooth roads though... the potholes around here are like caves :rolleyes:

MarkF

Guru
Yes!

Spacious Victorian terrace, proper do, stone & high ceilings :rolleyes:
Great neighbours.
South facing rear garden.
3 pubs, schools, local football club (Thackley), Leeds-Liverpool canal and River Aire within 5 minutes cycling.
Easy, flat 20 miler to Skipton and then out into the Dales.
Local train station.

Can't imagine better for the money.:rolleyes:

bauldbairn

fossyant said:
Winter Hill. Manchester centre of the Universe - 'ave it !!!!:angry:

Is that the "Winter Hill" in the brilliant 2009 song by the "Doves" then? :rolleyes: - :arrow:

Cycling related - Danny MacAskill is in the promo video! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom