Are you happy where you live????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I emigrated to Prince Edward Island off Canada's Atlantic Coast three years ago. I like the laid-back attitude, the cold hard winters and the short, burning hot summers. The population is low and life seems about 10-15 years behind the times. I have a new life and family here. Of course I miss friends and family in England but on balance I am quite happy to live here.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Perfect Virgo said:
I emigrated to Prince Edward Island off Canada's Atlantic Coast three years ago. I like the laid-back attitude, the cold hard winters and the short, burning hot summers. The population is low and life seems about 10-15 years behind the times. I have a new life and family here. Of course I miss friends and family in England but on balance I am quite happy to live here.

Welcome to Canuckistan. Sorry about the PM.

gbb

Legendary Member
Peterborough ?...ive got to really think whether i like it or not.
Minuses...in the 70s, there was a huge influx from London, Peterborians always said it was the downfall of the town, everything changed for the worse (generally)
I should add, i came in that wave, but from Nottingham. Thats the problem, ive always loved Nottingham...rosy coloured specs no doubt.

Hated Peterborough with a vengeance for many years but its grown on me. I live on the western edge of the city, Northamptonshire 'hills' just a few miles away, in fact i can immediately head north, south or west and be quickly in nice countryside. Nowt much eastwards.

Housings whats kept me here, i live on an ex development corparation estate, nothing brilliant but not bad bad either. House is large (4 bed converted to 3), relatively modern and inexpensive to heat etc, so no worrys there.

Cycling facilities are relatively good, i have few commuting problems (i find the drivers in peterborough generally quite relaxed and patient), nice country park 2 miles away, river rides in or out of town....cycling wise its not bad ay all,

Its grown on me...but it took 25 years :smile::biggrin:

al78

Guru
gaz said:
I live in croydon, enough said!

What is is like (very remote possibility of a job location which if happened would mean moving there)? Anywhere reasonable to live (i.e. where I would not get terrorised by scum) that is within about 10 miles of central London?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
al78 said:
What is is like (very remote possibility of a job location which if happened would mean moving there)? Anywhere reasonable to live (i.e. where I would not get terrorised by scum) that is within about 10 miles of central London?

Just as long as you stay south or east of central croydon for living you are fine. The problem with places like thorton heath and norbury is that they are the most ethnically diverse area's in south london and you get a lot of the younger people having fights over pretty much religion.. So a fair few stabbings and the occasional shootings.

And south croydon is pretty much built up by the schools. With around 6 or 7 good private schools in the area, a lot of the community is built up with well off business people who cause no trouble. So it is very safe south of central croydon.

Having lived in norbury for a few years, it is ok if you stay out of trouble and don't get involved in anything but sometimes you see things you really don't want to.

After having lived in Stockholm for 14 years, and now Norway (in total) for nearly six years, I am very happy in Scandinavia.

There is a very good welfare state system (which I haven't used or needed), a high standard of living, small populations and large areas of unspoilt and outstanding nature, friendly and honest people (in the vast majority of cases), little crime (in the way that it affects or concerns me), apparently good and decent politicians, low-to-zero stress and lots of FIT women! :tongue:

BUT the winters are UNBEARABLE! xx(

I'd love to live in Holland for a year or two, and also spend a while living in the Cyclades islands in Greece.

Randochap

Senior hunter
One reason to be happy (in spite of politicians):

NH-08_1430.jpg

Uni: I've a flat in the cheaper end of a city, within a couple of miles of lectures and most practical placements and a little further to the beach and more cheap bars and restaurants than my student grant will stretch too. Hate it.

Home: A tiny ex-council retirement bungalow (God bless grandfather's right to buy) in a quiet cul-de-sac in a small increasingly commuter focused town surrounded by bland fenland countryside. Love it.

There really is no place like home.

Sam Kennedy

I like where I live, quiet, about a 15 minute cycle to the countryside, maybe 25 to the city centre. I would prefer to live closer, or even in the countryside ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, I love York. And my flat, though small, does for me. The only things I could wish for are a garage/decent shed that isn't a 10 minute bike rides away (I rent a portion of a lockup for the trike), and maybe being nearer my sister and her family - 5 hours on the train at the moment.

But I'm as happy here as I'll be anywhere.

dodgy

I love it here, excellent local and lots of other nice pubs on the peninsula in general. From a cycling point of view it's pretty good, we have the world famous Eureka cafe of course. The only thing that bugs me is that for any ride of reasonable distance, you end up going out and coming back in the same direction (i.e. SE on the out and NW on the return) - that's the only thing I'd change!

When I lived in Lincoln I could look at the map and head out into the wind on any given day, but now I can only ride roughly SE before I'm into Cheshire or N.Wales..

Ergle

Über Member
al78 said:

Nice places 10 miles from central London exist - but are expensive.

I'm just South of Croydon, on the edge of the North Downs.

10 minutes from the Surrey green belt - my regular loops take me down into the Surrey Weald, returning via some reasonable hills. Being green belt there's plenty of traffic free riding to be had.

20 Minutes walk from the station, with an excellent service to London, where I occasionally work. Journey time 30 minutes and I always get a seat on the train.

20 minutes bus ride to South Croydon where there is a strip of reasonable restaurants

5 minutes from nice country walks for me and my wife

About an hour by car from the coast

But...

I live near a pub and a chip shop - both have changed hands many times over the 20 years I've lived here, unfortunately to a succession of owners who can't cook chips or keep a decent pint. I live in hope.

Top Bottom