Argos Now Selling Carbon!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Well it may not be the greatest, but for a pound under £700 and sub 9kg at first glance it doesn't look too bad value. I noticed it in the new catalogue I picked up today. The catalogue shows the new style Sora shifters while the website looks like the old. It is though, the lightest adult bike I have ever noticed at Argos, a place I think of as the home of the BSO.:blush: Can't see any reviews online yet. It does however have a bell. :whistle:

HovR

Über Member
A friend bought a 'DBR' hardtail mountain bike from Argos, which is basically a rebranded Raleigh bike with an entry level Rockshox fork and Shimano Deore 9 speed gears and (hydraulic) brakes. It's a fairly light bike for the price and isn't such a bad deal at around £400, I was impressed to say it's a bike from Argos.

Nearly there

Veteran
I wonder how good the frame is and It has branded components too with a better groupset it would of probably been priced at grand or so in the sale ;)

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Masterful marketing. First time its been in the catalogue and its already half price in the sale :whistle:

I thought that! Half price my arse!

It's like when you see Hardy's Stamp 'half price' for a fiver, if anyone pays £10 for bottle of Hardy's Stamp they either have no tastebuds are or willfully ignorant / stupid.

Peteaud

Veteran
sitting-on-fence.jpg

50 / 50

simon.r

Person
It's obviously extremely easy to take the wotsit out of Argos and their description of the bike (which is just a nonsense), but IF the frame is half decent that's a real bargain. It's got reasonable bits fitted - some Sora, R500 wheelset and Ritchey finishing kit ain't too shabby.

The big unknown of course is the frame / fork quality. I hope someone respected gets one on test soon. If the frame gets a decent write-up I could be in the market for one.

What does concern me slightly is the total lack of support that Argos offer (in terms of set up, repairs etc) and the fact that people buying one of these may be riding around with the fork on back to front!

Duckehhh

it was 1400 before, but was available online only. I saw it 5 months ago when i was looking for a bike(I work at Argos at the moment)

Looks like it only comes in 58cm frame which they oddly say is 21 inch??

also a 55cm frame. cat no. 332/4518

What does concern me slightly is the total lack of support that Argos offer (in terms of set up, repairs etc) and the fact that people buying one of these may be riding around with the fork on back to front!

to be fair though, at least they dont build it, under the illusion they are professionals and know what they are doing. I'd much rather have a bike in a box, than having it made by a bunch of apes with a spanner set.

simon.r

Person
to be fair though, at least they dont build it, under the illusion they are professionals and know what they are doing. I'd much rather have a bike in a box, than having it made by a bunch of apes with a spanner set.

I agree entirely, just hope that folks with no mechanical knowledge who buy one have the sense to get it checked over by a LBS before they ride it!

Top Bottom