argos selling a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
You do realise that comes with brakes..

What brakes? You mean the fixed wheel? This bike doesn't appear to have any rim brakes, although oddly the textural description says it has:

Front Brake:Sidepull in cold forged Anodized Allloy with cartridge pads
Rear Brake:Sidepull in cold forged Anodized Allloy with cartridge pads

Am I going blind?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What brakes? You mean the fixed wheel? This bike doesn't appear to have any rim brakes, although oddly the textural description says it has:

Am I going blind?

They are made by the same people who did the clothing for that Emperor ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Am I going blind?

It does have brakes, as you can read in the description :tongue:
Evans have recently started posting false images of bikes, mostly SS/FG bikes without brakes.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Anyway, my main point is that steel frame ss/fixers aren't that light. To get below ~10kg you need to spend a lot of money. Next time I go out I'll be taking 1kg of water with me, that's ~10% of the bike weight, just to keep me rolling!

Jezston

Über Member
They print the photo that the manufacturer gives them.

Evans don't have a photographic studio to take photos of all the products they sell as the come in, AFAIK.

Same as this bike, which I had my eyes on until my employer ditched C2W :sad:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/track-20-2011-road-bike-ec024652?query=fuji track
In shop, it has front and rear brakes - both with hoods, which I'm not keep on.

Same picture here:
http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/track_2_0
And here: http://discountfixedgear.co.uk/fuji/fuji-track-2-0-2011/

And likely the same with any other bike you look at for sale on any other website.

They are legally obliged to sell them with brakes, and reflectors, and a bell.

It isn't a 'deliberate action', or a 'cock up', it's just what EVERYONE does.

FWIW Re: Evans, when I bought my Langster Steel it came set up on the ss freewheel. When I questioned why they said that's just what they do. If you want it set up fixed at time of collection they make you sign a disclaimer, I presume it states your family wil not pursue Evans in the event of your untimley demise following your fixed gear folly, or words o that effect.

I couldn't be @rsed with all that myself, and just swopped the wheel round when I got home :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
FWIW Re: Evans, when I bought my Langster Steel it came set up on the ss freewheel. When I questioned why they said that's just what they do. If you want it set up fixed at time of collection they make you sign a disclaimer, I presume it states your family wil not pursue Evans in the event of your untimley demise following your fixed gear folly, or words o that effect.

I couldn't be @rsed with all that myself, and just swopped the wheel round when I got home :thumbsup:

I bought a brakeless fixed gear bike from Evans and cycled home, no disclaimer!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If it's a dedicated fixed gear then they've got no choice have they. The Langster has a flip flop rear hub, and in that case they always supply it ss :thumbsup:

It was drilled for brakes and also had a flip flop hub.

It was a Fuji Track, bought last January/February (2010).

It was drilled for brakes and also had a flip flop hub.

It was a Fuji Track, bought last January/February (2010).
Happy days :thumbsup:

I bought mine around February this year so perhaps they've changed their policy, or perhaps they were pulling my chain, either way I can only relate what I was told by the Manager at Evans at Chillfactor near the Trafford Centre.

Jezston

Über Member
Not if the bike is intended to be used only on the track.

That's an interesting one. How the rules work on this exactly, and how is this regulated? If this is the case - why do Evans spend time and money sticking cheap brakes and hoods on them when they could just say 'track only' ... which I'm sure they've done on other bikes I've seen there.

I expect there isn't really an answer to that!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
That's an interesting one. How the rules work on this exactly, and how is this regulated? If this is the case - why do Evans spend time and money sticking cheap brakes and hoods on them when they could just say 'track only' ... which I'm sure they've done on other bikes I've seen there.

I expect there isn't really an answer to that!

Because those bikes really aren't intended for track use. Whilst any bike can technically be used on a track, you really need a higher BB to ride on a track and most of the cheaper bikes (ones labeled as track bikes which really aren't) don't have that. Take a look at an actual track bike sold by evans, it doesn't come with brakes.
felt-tk2-2011-track-bike.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/tk2-2011-track-bike-ec024403

Top Bottom