argos selling a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Now it isn't just snobbery I am smelling, but nobbery as well.

Thread upon thread about BSOs have people saying that for a cheap price, shops like Argos could sell a simple fixie or something of the like. Now it has happened and guess what, people still want to have a good old moan. Yes there is room for improvement with the product but it is a step up from these coiled springy things which ride like the equivalent of trying to run in flip flops.

They call it a track bike. Track bikes do not have brakes. It is another example of a product being sold as something it is one. If it was sold a a simple fixie I thing less people would have an issue.

montage

God Almighty
They call it a track bike. Track bikes do not have brakes. It is another example of a product being sold as something it is one. If it was sold a a simple fixie I thing less people would have an issue.

I don't

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
But if it meets all the requirements for track racing/training, then they are not lying. Just because someone said you would get laughed at if you took it to the track dosn't make it not a track bike. You could take it to the track, I'm allowed to use my road bike at the track.

Because it's not a good bike in peoples eyes dosn't mean you can't take it to the track. I've seen people on hybrids at road races, and still hold on.

On the chat page I asked about track bikes and was told that whilst you can take any bike to a track, track bikes do not have brakes. As this has brakes what does it make it? By that token you could call any fixie a track bike surely???

YahudaMoon

Über Member
[sup]You know you don't want a fixed bike when hoodies n drug dealers are riding em. Keeping mine for the track where it belongs[/sup]

But if it meets all the requirements for track racing/training, then they are not lying.

But it doesn't - so they are.
As Angelfish says, track bikes do not have brakes, (and 100% dedicated track bikes do not even have any facility to fit any), this does so would not be permitted on a track in the condition in which they are advertising it. I suppose by the same theology, if you removed the brakes it could be called a track bike in the loosest sense of the term, but I would not fancy trying to get it through scrutineering, and that's not me being be snob it's me being of a sane and practical mind.

My Langster Steel has brakes, (2 of them as well shock horror), it is not a track bike and was not advertised or bought as one. It is a fixed gear, or a single speed bicycle depending on which way I choose to have the back wheel.

Argos are simply trying to cash in on the latest fad, this is no bad thing in itself, and I doubt anyone would mind, (I know you don't anyway), if they were selling a reasonable product for the price. I'd like to see one of those young girls at the collection desk trying to hoist this bugger onto the counter for any poor schmuck who gets sucked into buying one!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
But it doesn't - so they are.
As Angelfish says, track bikes do not have brakes, (and 100% dedicated track bikes do not even have any facility to fit any), this does so would not be permitted on a track in the condition in which they are advertising it. I suppose by the same theology, if you removed the brakes it could be called a track bike in the loosest sense of the term, but I would not fancy trying to get it through scrutineering, and that's not me being be snob it's me being of a sane and practical mind.

My Langster Steel has brakes, (2 of them as well shock horror), it is not a track bike and was not advertised or bought as one. It is a fixed gear, or a single speed bicycle depending on which way I choose to have the back wheel.

Argos are simply trying to cash in on the latest fad, this is no bad thing in itself, and I doubt anyone would mind, (I know you don't anyway), if they were selling a reasonable product for the price. I'd like to see one of those young girls at the collection desk trying to hoist this bugger onto the counter for any poor schmuck who gets sucked into buying one!

My only issue with the selling is that they are selling it as something it is not. Why not just call it a fixie, as it is and leave it at that. Even track style would be ok (ish). Bloody catalogue shops!!

LMFAO at the last sentence :smile:

gds58

Über Member
Most of you seem to be completely hung up on what Argos are calling it rather than the actual quality of it. Argos also sell bikes which they refer to as 'Mountain Bikes' but most of them would fall apart if you rode off a kerb on them let alone a bloody mountain!! and they probably sell 'Race' bikes which will be similarly mis-named.

I agree that it's not a 'Track Bike' but take the brakes off and put a simple drop bar on it and it is. As for it not passing 'scrutineering' why wouldn't it? just because it has a hole at the top of the forks and the rear bridge wouldn't stop it from being OK on a track event. Yes it would be twice as heavy as most of the other machines there but that doesn't make it NOT a track bike.

I also agree that it does look pretty rubbish and at 60cm size only they have clearly not done much research into the most popular frame sizes as surely something like a 55-56 would have been more universally usable.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy one as I reckon you could build a considerably better one with secondhand parts for the same money, in fact I have!!

Graham

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Most of you seem to be completely hung up on what Argos are calling it rather than the actual quality of it. Argos also sell bikes which they refer to as 'Mountain Bikes' but most of them would fall apart if you rode off a kerb on them let alone a bloody mountain!! and they probably sell 'Race' bikes which will be similarly mis-named.

I agree that it's not a 'Track Bike' but take the brakes off and put a simple drop bar on it and it is. As for it not passing 'scrutineering' why wouldn't it? just because it has a hole at the top of the forks and the rear bridge wouldn't stop it from being OK on a track event. Yes it would be twice as heavy as most of the other machines there but that doesn't make it NOT a track bike.

I also agree that it does look pretty rubbish and at 60cm size only they have clearly not done much research into the most popular frame sizes as surely something like a 55-56 would have been more universally usable.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy one as I reckon you could build a considerably better one with secondhand parts for the same money, in fact I have!!

Graham

Brakes are not the only design consideration that goes into a track specific bike. A track with high banking would require several things, it most likely wouldnt meet Manchester's requirements i.e. 11" bottom bracket elevation, 165mm cranks, no braze ons (although these can be covered with tape to gain access). Track bikes are also usually built a bit steeper and twitchier than road bikes, but this varies.

I dont care what they call it. I'm not particularly interested, just posting why it may not be allowed on some tracks, which could be dissapointing for some less informed buyers.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm still shocked at the weight of it. My SS has steel forks, was assembled from spares and is 2 kilos lighter.

Dan B

Disengaged member
+1 this. What is this, Pedants' Day Out?

"Track bike" in common parlance is more or less synonymous by now with "fixed gear". You may reasonably wish to avoid that usage yourself, but you'd have a hard time explaining that view to, say, the ASA

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Below is a definition of a track bike - Not sure if it is perfect but it doesn't seem to match that which Argos are selling.

Track bicycle

A track bicycle A track bicycle or track bike is a bicycle optimized for racing at a velodrome or outdoor track. Unlike road bicycles, the track bike is a fixed-gear bicycle and so has a single gear and neither freewheel nor brakes. Tires are narrow and inflated to high pressure to reduce rolling resistance. Tubular tires are often used but are becoming more obsolete due to advances in clincher tires negating the benefits of tubulars.

Frame design

A track frame is specific to its use. Rigidity is more important than lightness. Frames for sprinting are as rigid as possible, while those for general racing as aerodynamic as possible.

Rules
The governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), sets limits on design and dimensions as well as the shape and diameter of the tubes used to construct the frame.

Geometry
220px-Bicyclemeasurements.svg.png Bicycle frame measurements A track bicycle differs from one used on the road by having:

Typical track frames use 120mm spacing for the rear hub. The dropouts or track ends face rearwards to facilitate chain tension adjustment with very tight clearances in front of the rear tire that would prevent wheel removal with forward-facing dropouts.

Top Bottom