Armstrong charged and banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is an interesting site if you have the time and inclination. Scientists writing as opposed to muppets like us!
This was written during last years tour.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011_07_01_archive.html

This is their concluding paragraph....

I was reading that site the other day and looking for that very article which was linked to last year.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
As a Lance fanboy, I'm having to grudgingly admit that it's not looking good...
I've taken great inspiration from his books, and his achievements, and I still think he's a formidable athlete as even if he was doping, so was everybody else.
But, the fact still remains that he denied it, so it doesn't make it right.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
As a Lance fanboy, I'm having to grudgingly admit that it's not looking good...
I've taken great inspiration from his books, and his achievements, and I still think he's a formidable athlete as even if he was doping, so was everybody else.
But, the fact still remains that he denied it, so it doesn't make it right.

You can still keep the admiration and inspiration it just applies to a fictional character...actually if we put a human being up on a pedestal they'll tend to let us down somewhere along the line, much easier to use a made up person

Pottsy

I admire a lot of cyclists from the past that I've seen or read about; Coppi, Merckx, Simpson, Chiapucci and many more. Many will have been 'on something' in their day, but it hasn't stopped me admiring them. As you say Panter, they were still outstanding amongst their peer group at the time.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Totally agree, and I hope that the good work the Armstrong foundation carries out won't be too adversely affected.
Myself, I'll still admire the man, but as an exceedingly honest person the deception wouldn't sit well with me.
Although it's easy to sit here and criticize, I imagine if everyone's living the lie and have been for a very long time, there must never be a good time to come clean.

What I really hope is that there is a definitive outcome, and that the truth does come out.
I suppose, really, it's inevitable that he must've doped, but we'll see...

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Totally agree, and I hope that the good work the Armstrong foundation carries out won't be too adversely affected.
Myself, I'll still admire the man, but as an exceedingly honest person the deception wouldn't sit well with me.
Although it's easy to sit here and criticize, I imagine if everyone's living the lie and have been for a very long time, there must never be a good time to come clean.

What I really hope is that there is a definitive outcome, and that the truth does come out.
I suppose, really, it's inevitable that he must've doped, but we'll see...
<Pokes Fingers In Ears> lalalala http://www.forbes.com/sites/richkarlgaard/2012/06/13/lance-armstrong-hero-cheat-and-tragic-figure/

Lance Armstrong stands on the highest podium of heroes who inspire middle-age men and women to get off their duffs and sweat. Facing a 19 mile, 4,000 foot climb up Mt. Hamilton near SanJose as I did on Memorial Day, plodders like me will think of Lance. An image of Lance in full grimace will come into our heads. Because Lance suffered to become the greatest Tour de France rider in history, and suffered before that to defeat a cancer that had gone into his brain and lungs, and suffered still more as a youth in a single-mom home, well, maybe we can suffer some, too.
Lance made suffering cool. Lance is like a secular Jesus. His suffering and ultimate triumph gives hope.

This hope is why most weekend cyclists, along with most cancer patients and survivors throughout the world, DO NOT WANT TO HEAR about the possibility of Lance and steroids, Lance and human growth hormones, Lance and EPO, Lance and blood transfusions. We do not want to hear that Lance Armstrong cheated to win. Millions of us have too much invested in Lance Armstrong to learn otherwise.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Nice post LOCO. Whilst not necessarily sharing the views expressed, I can see the huge motivation Armstrong was for some and disappointment/betrayal that many will feel should he fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom