Armstrong charged and banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
He didn't defeat cancer, he got the best treatment and thankfully he was lucky it worked.
He is certainly the greatest cheat in the history of the tour, as for suffering, there are plenty of riders past and present who provide honest suffering we can admire.

OP
OP
Y

yello

He didn't defeat cancer, he got the best treatment and thankfully he was lucky it worked.

I know what you're saying but in fairness I think 'beat cancer' is just a turn of phrase that many would use for simply surviving it. That it's spun as a motivational slogan is another thing, and no great evil imo. Again, I'd cut him some slack on that one.

Indeed, I seem to recall (perhaps from one of his books) him acknowledging the situation as it was. He didn't 'fight it', that he just slept when he was tired, that he was lucky. I think you can rightly accuse him of many things but not necessarily for claiming to have kicked cancer's arse in anything other than a motivational sense.

As I said upstream, I like to keep the two Armstrong's (cancer survivor and cyclist) separate. I don't hate him that much to start deriding everything he's done.

albion

Guru
I'm always amazed at how many see it all as a belief system.

A fashionable term is 'truthies' (not sure about the spelling).
There are few facts but plenty of truthies.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm always amazed at how many see it all as a belief system.

A fashionable term is 'truthies' (not sure about the spelling).
There are few facts but plenty of truthies.

Truthers. That's for those crazy 9/11 people. This is not really in any way equivalent (for either side, or for neutrals).

festival

Über Member
I know what you're saying but in fairness I think 'beat cancer' is just a turn of phrase that many would use for simply surviving it. That it's spun as a motivational slogan is another thing, and no great evil imo. Again, I'd cut him some slack on that one.

I understand the marketing spin, he's not the only one to survive and decide to make a contribution to 'fighting' the disease. Bob Champion, jockey and winner of the Grand national is a case in point. And I recognize people are not perfect, we all have issues and there are enough truly evil people in this world that puts this debate into perspective, but 'Armstrong the brand' has been marketed like a well known fizzy drink or hamburger.
His cancer survival has been used to boost his appeal and insipre others which is fair enough but while its a great story, the rest of the Armstrong 'fairy tale' has been built on lies.
I don't hate him, that would not be healthy, but I do dislike being taken for a mug.
On a lighter note, many years ago before he was famous I met him at the start of a race, I was chatting to a pro rider I knew and after asking Armstrong a simple question about his bike he told me "to fark off" but of course I would never let that cloud my opinion.

just jim

He has till tommorrow. Nothing yet!

albion

Guru
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/spor...rosecutor-jury-and-judge-lance-armstrong-case

"Mr. Tygart has allegedly caught several other cyclists doping, and offered them immunity in exchange for their testimony against Lance."

"The spokesperson at the USADA did respond to my e-mail, but she declined to comment whether Tygart’s bonuses were tied to finding a certain number of athletes or a particularly high profile athlete guilty of doping."

It is a one sided comment but ain't we seen that somewhere already?

OP
OP
Y

yello

What is "the voice of cycling" saying? <I cannae get that youtube link to work beyond seeing the title>

Basically trying to dismiss it as SSDD and using the PR defence (never tested positive, discredited & embittered witnesses, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom