Arriva Bus meeting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
So, this morning I had my meeting with two guys from Arriva. I thoroughly enjoy the chance to discuss issues and queries that I had and they were both intrigued to get feedback from me.

Firstly the person who I had arranged the meeting with, Ray, asked me what the main concerns that I had were. I explained that buses often begin the overtake safely and end up cutting in on my and passing me too closely. I also explained that I find it difficult to understand where the blindspots are in the mirrors and I would like to know where best to position myself.

I then met the depot manager who was also an instructor for the Rhyl and Wrexham depot.
We discussed the numerous and vigorous training programmes that the drivers go through and a few statistics were thrown my way.
I was informed that in 2012 there were 16 incidents with vulnerable road users in the North Wales and West area. Which was an improvement by 10 incident from 2011. However, Arriva are always on the path to get fewer and fewer incidents.

I then sat in the driving seat of the learning bus that they use to teach drivers and I had a chance to actually see the problems that the driver has with blind spots. There was a blind spot below the drivers window, and behind numerous pillars near the doors. It is amazing how much room you cannot see and how easily a pedestrian or cyclist can be hidden.

We then discussed the training that drivers have and that Arriva only use their own instructors so that they can teach exactly what they want and they can make sure that the drivers are up to scratch with the companies procedures and safety precautions.
I was impressed with the training that the drivers were given and the disciplinary procedures that there were if a driver did anything wrong.
We discussed distractions, forward thinking, and how difficult it is to monitor all the 120 drivers which are in the Rhyl depot.

I also showed the two gentlemen some selections of videos that I wanted just to demonstrate the problems that I had. Ray said after we had watched the videos, that he would like to use the videos in some of the instructural videos that they do as they can be used to show what not to do and how a cyclist perceives the size of a bus. He also requested some screenshots which could be used in the 2013 posters for vulnerable road users which will be created in September time.

I once again thoroughly enjoyed the experience and learnt a lot about Arriva and the procedures that are undergone. I also feel that both guys learnt a lot from being able to understand my concerns and hopefully it will help them in the future.

boydj

Legendary Member
Good story, Matthew. Makes a change to have a good positive tale to tell.

Fantastic work...good to know that there are people out there giving a cyclist's view and also the fact that there are people out there willing to listen :-)

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Its not just giving a cyclists view but also sharing to us cyclists what other road users can see or not see which will hopefully sink in with our fellow kind, too much emphasis is that we are right and everyone else is wrong on these boards!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What could be very useful as a poster/information aid for cyclists, is a diagram showing just where the blind spots are.
There seem to be plenty of these around for lorries, e.g.
blindspotfor-trucks.gif

But as buses have windows, many cyclists probably assume that there are not such big blind spots. So a diagram something like this one for a people carrier might be quite helpful (together with a reminder that the driver cannot be looking in his/her mirrors all the time.

800px-Automobile_A-pillar_bar_blind_spots.PNG

Although a plan view like this might be both easier to produce and easier to use (the white circle being the driver's head):

bus+blind+spots.jpg

Top Bottom