Arrogant or just plain ignorant - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
What is so interesting about the enraged cycle biased responses to this thread is that NO - ONE has looked at it from an HGV / bus driver's point.
Said drivers are under constant pressure from timetables, delivery / collection schedules, expectations of their managers and customers, tacographs, traffic issues, road works, diversions, rules and regulations of the road etc., etc..
The only thing a group of roadies have to worry about is whether they're going to beat last weeks timing for their chosen route - !
So what is their problem of going single file for a shortish distance to let an HGV / bus past, even when the conditions are perfectly safe to do so - ?
Said drivers are working, the roadies are not.
I was an HGV driver for sixteen years ( can anyone of the cycling bias boast similar - ? If you can't, then your view is completely one sided ). One of the reasons I packed it in was because of traffic conditions; including cycle groups who flatly refused to go single file when it would be much appreciated.
My son is an HGV driver and I asked him yesterday which sort of urban traffic aggravates him the most and without hesitating, he said ( this excluded the fruity explitives he used ) it's the the clods in lycra on fancy bikes because they bunch up and refuse to let him past, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
So, unless you've similar experience of the issues faced by HGV / bus drivers, go figure.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What is so interesting about the enraged cycle biased responses to this thread is that NO - ONE has looked at it from an HGV / bus driver's point.
Said drivers are under constant pressure from timetables, delivery / collection schedules, expectations of their managers and customers, tacographs, traffic issues, road works, diversions, rules and regulations of the road etc., etc..
The only thing a group of roadies have to worry about is whether they're going to beat last weeks timing for their chosen route - !
So what is their problem of going single file for a shortish distance to let an HGV / bus past, even when the conditions are perfectly safe to do so - ?
I was an HGV driver for sixteen years ( can anyone of the cycling bias boast similar - ? If you can't, then your view is completely one sided ). One of the reasons I packed it in was because of traffic conditions; including cycle groups who flatly refused to go single file when it would be much appreciated.
My son is an HGV driver and I asked him yesterday which sort of urban traffic aggravates him the most and without hesitating, he said ( this excluded the fruity explitives he used ) it's the the clods in lycra on fancy bikes because they bunch up and refuse to let him past, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
So, unless you've similar experience of the issues faced by HGV / bus drivers, go figure.

There's a few folk on here who are or have been professional drivers.

If you want their opinions on cyclists' behaviour, starting a separate thread asking for them would be a good way to go.

so now we have got to the point where the op thinks that anyone using the roads for leisure purposes should move out of the way for someone using the roads for work purposes . especially hgv drivers ....coz he used to be one :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

if only we could tell who was who :laugh::laugh::laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

You asked for opinions.

If you only wanted those from people who'd agree with you, you should've said.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Inadequate infrastructure means we are often obliged to share with other road users who have different priorities and speeds.

The frustration some drivers may feel reflects a reluctance to accept the need to share and be tolerant both ways. Frustration is not far from that dangerous feeling, anger.

In my working life I drove many miles and some excellent training helped me stay calm and stay safe.

Demonising any one group of road users is unlikely to end well.

Reactions: C R

SydZ

Über Member
.My son is an HGV driver and I asked him yesterday which sort of urban traffic aggravates him the most and without hesitating, he said ( this excluded the fruity explitives he used ) it's the the clods in lycra on fancy bikes because they bunch up and refuse to let him past, even when it's perfectly safe to do so.
Pass 40 cyclists in single file or 40 cyclists riding two abreast. Hmmmm let me think.

Go find what Chris Boardman says about the matter.

Reactions: C R

winjim

Smash the cistern
All of that should take into account the possibility of there being other people using the road. Are they in a trade union?

Jody

Stubborn git
"I was a HGV driver for 16 years.........."

Now we're getting to the crux of the issue.

You and your son don't like roadies and you still have an axe to grind.

Take it elsewhere!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Perhaps you need to reflect on this. A HGV driver‘s number one priority is to those road users more vulnerable than his mode of transport. They’d like to stay alive which is the one thing the roadies do have to worry about. I’d say that trumps all the other stuff you’ve listed.

E0CF40F7-DC10-4754-963B-2D5D7B62B481.jpeg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Unfortunately all of that is of a complete irrelevance. They are in front and get to decide when it is safe for the HGV to pass, that is all that matters.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

When you're driving an HGV, it's always safe to overtake a cyclist.

While I don't have the stats handy, I'd hazard a guess that the number of HGV drivers killed by bicycles since the dawn of history is precisely zero.

Slick

Guru
Owner driver here for a number of years but I don't recognise any of what you say. I also wonder if you would have passed your test if you shared your prejudices with your examiner? Although looking at the general standard on display of driving ability, you would probably qualify for the advanced course.

icowden

Veteran

Well no, because you keep contradicting yourself and changing the description.
  • Is it hard to pass or easy?
  • Were the cyclists travelling at 5mph uphill, 20 mph on the flat or 30mph downhill?
  • How long was the potential delay?
  • Was it safer for the cyclists to remain in front?
  • Where did the cycle land come from and is it real? Which road is it (Norwich has a lot of them)?
  • DId you just want to rant about lycra clad road cyclists?
  • If so, you do realise that this is a form where many of them hang out?
Answers on a postcard to...

DRM

Guru
So using that argument, all HGV’s should get out of my way when at work, because my van goes faster and I have lots to do, they shouldn’t block the A1 by starting to overtake at Newcastle, and managing to get past by Darlington, that’s just cobblers, as is what you wrote

Top Bottom