As we've all give* a few bob...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Arch said:
Anyway, I think I can speak for the mods when I say we're pleased so many people seem to think we do a good job...

don't undersell yourselves, you do a great job.

yenrod said:
It surprises myself the atmosphere on here at times - its like there are people thedoctor, arch and few others who think they know the god dam and all + act like the own the place ie here !

I find that very very off-putting.

I've got nothing against you. And never did in the 1st place - yet the reaction is pure cynicism.

Why is there such serious'ness in this place.

Stuffy is how i'd describe the atmosphere with said members in here.

Hey, here's a thought ... if you're not happy here, why not stop visiting and bugger off somewhere else? Or maybe start your own forum. I wouldn't mind.

Bigtwin

Crackle said:
You wanna be careful what you do with that paddle, there's paddle copies out there which have had the sense of humour bypassed to save money but the people who use 'em don't know. :wacko:

That's it - I'm through with this dictatorship of a forum.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bigtwin said:
Well I think this stinks - it's MPs all over again.

I want Admin and Mod's expenses published, in full, in a WEEKLY spreadsheet. I want to know EXACTLY what allowances they are claiming, and for what.

We've had enough of their big fat piggy snouts rootling around in the trough - WE MUST MAKE A STAND!

ok. My petty cash expenses this week. Starting Monday.

Monday: Um. Nothing.
Tuesday: Um. Nothing.
Wednesday: Um. Two pints 1% fat milk.
Thursday: Nothing.
Friday: Nothing.
Today: £2.60 on sending a parcel to my nephew. Going home via the shops for groceries, probably a tenner's worth.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Rhythm Thief said:
What the bloody hell does that mean? Can you at least try and write in English?

Rhythm Thief said:
Hey, here's a thought ... if you're not happy here, why not stop visiting and bugger off somewhere else? Or maybe start your own forum. I wouldn't mind.

Rhythm, just say what you mean - yuh do realise I want your babies ! :wacko::girl::biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
dellzeqq said:
Cripes! Can't we just ban smileys?
Wouldn't we just end up with a mass defection to YACC? :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ColinJ said:
PS I did mean YACC - analagous to the creation of YACF from the ruins of ACF. That happened as a result of a big tantrum over the use of smilies/smileys.

really? have had a passing curiosity over what happened as you see so many references to it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
MacBludgeon said:
really? have had a passing curiosity over what happened as you see so many references to it.
I used to lurk over at ACF from time to time but I don't think I ever signed up.

As far as I can remember, the forum owner Sam suddenly decreed that in his opinion smileys were rather naff and he switched them off in the forum software. A lot of people didn't like the way he'd done that without consulting the membership first, and they started using text smileys instead to make their point! ;-)

Sam then decreed that text smileys "weren't allowed" either and if anyone dared to use them they would get banned, so more people got offended and started using them. He started culling members left, right and centre.

At some point he said that he'd had enough of the whole thing and disappeared for a while. Then he came back and got rid of anyone who complained about anything. The forum was dying by a combination of him chucking members out, and others leaving in disgust. Eventually they got together and created an ACF clone - YACF (Yet Another Cycling Forum).

That's more or less what happened.

It just goes to show that a successful forum is all about its members. Any forum owner who gets too big for his/her boots will quickly find themselves with a very quiet webserver!

grhm

Veteran
ColinJ said:
It just goes to show that a successful forum is all about its members. Any forum owner who gets too big for his/her boots will quickly find themselves with a very quiet webserver!

Which is why I think Shaun and the mods do a great job here. There seems to be very little moderation and members opinions are valued (but not always pandered too;)).

There seems to be new members turning up fairly regularly, not all stay but some do. Some of the more regular/long-in-the-tooth members leave occasionally (but thats to be expected - peoples prioritys and attitudes change, plus some have just left for a bit and will return).

Seems like a fairly good setup. There some membership turn-over but the forum seems to be a fairly lively, welcoming place. Long may it continue...

Top Bottom