Aside from cycling helping your footprint.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I will only burn organic chopped-up builders pallets on thenfire this winter.

sasquath

From least to most expensive.
Make home airtight and install mvhr(2-5k)
Solar panels(4-8k)
Air or ground source heat pump heating and hot water 10-60k

External wall.insulation(30-60k) or under 10k when DIY'd.
Do them all and your home will have zero footprint in the winter and negative in the summer...
But who can spend that kind of money?!
I only have solar and mvhr, heating reduced by 15%, but at the same time I did change 20 years old windows with triple glazed ones.

Johnno260

Veteran
Has anyone bought a Fairphone ? Supposed to have endlessly swappable components.

They need to make this for household appliances as well to make them easier to repair rather than throw away.

I will look into those fairphones, issue I have with modern phones and it’s the main reason for changing is the battery, I can remember on my old Nokia just taking the back off and exchanging the battery.

sasquath

Has anyone bought a Fairphone ? Supposed to have endlessly swappable components.
Last time I looked at it my banking apps wouldn't run due security concerns...it was fair few years back so maybe worth another look.

newts

Veteran
I have noticed many people now talking about what we should do to lessen out carbon footprint. Often this is in general terms, so how about listing specifics that would help people to do something rather than just feel unable to help.

I thought this example would be good as its quite cheap at about £200, appears to work, so would soon pay back and is within most people budget.

Also it something new rather than the fit loft insulation we have heard endlessly. What else is out there ?

Tadpole Energy | The Cure for the Most Common Heating Problems
20% saving on heating bill with tadpole🤣.15mm auto airvent is about £8 if there isn't one already on your system. A clean central heating system with inhibitor & magnetic filter is all you need. Loft insulation is the starting point & gives the best saving/£

Reactions: C R

Tenkaykev

Guru
Solar panels(4-8k)

Do them all and your home will have zero footprint in the winter and negative in the summer...
I only have solar and mvhr, heating reduced by 15%, but at the same time I did change 20 years old windows with triple glazed ones.
Air sourced heat pumps are remarkable technology, basically a reversible fridge / aircon unit. The bulk of the hardware required is already in aircon units and it wouldn’t need a great amount of work or extra components to redesign them.
A 10kw Aircon unit is less than £2k so there’s a lot of margin there.

To help reduce my "carbon" footprint, I've stopped owning diamonds. :okay:

Carbon is only an issue when combined with oxygen in the atmosphere. While they're not as long lived, other gases have a greater global warming potential. Some of the alternatives are liable to result in changing one problem for another.

sasquath

Air sourced heat pumps are remarkable technology, basically a reversible fridge / aircon unit. The bulk of the hardware required is already in aircon units and it wouldn’t need a great amount of work or extra components to redesign them.
A 10kw Aircon unit is less than £2k so there’s a lot of margin there.
Well insulated home needs 1-6 kW of heat. Panasonic 9kW unit costs 6k. Add new hot water pressurised tank and new low temperature radiators, it soon adds up. Heat pump should really be last upgrade, as most UK homes would need huge powers due poor insulation.
Mere fact of having trickle vents can add 500w per vent to your heating requirement.
They are needed to provide fresh air, but mvhr system does that while (almost) not wasting any heat.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Doesn't bleeding them reduce the air for free, and the anti corrosion additive cost only a few quid anyway?
It is probably quite a few quid and most people would have to pay a plumber to get it in there. Did you have any positive suggestions to add ?

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
Solar panels(4-8k)

I did wonder if it is worth getting in the chaps who can check your house for draughts with a big extraction fan. It would highlight the ones you never realise are there such as around the pipe out from the washing machine.

Top Bottom