Aside from cycling helping your footprint.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

When putting central heating on, it's good practice to open all the windows an hour before to allow internal condensation to dry. It means you can put the heating on a lower temp and for a shorter period.

This is because much of the first half hour of heating goes on drying the house out.
Or get MVHR and live in warm , draft, CO2 and damp free house at an expense that you recap in reduced heating bill in 3 -5 years. You can't put a price on hetlh benefis though.

All uphill

Still rolling along
For us it's gradually changing our habits to reduce our consumption in ways that enhance or preserve our quality of life; we try to avoid making our lives miserable.

I've noticed that I boil more than a litre of water to make a 300ml cup of tea; it's a tiny adjustment to just fill the kettle to the mini.um mark - 500ml.

Turn the TV off, rather than put on standby. Heating down 2 degrees.

Take cuttings for the garden. Buy fewer im

Walk and cycle more; use the car much less.

The cumulative effect is better health and lower bills.

As a gardener ive always liked and encouraged clients to plant trees. When i get a garden again i shall plant as many as i can. Even a small garden probably has room for an ornamental or espalier.

Does this pass muster? :blush:

NR1F6292_small.jpg

Baldy

Über Member
Been thinking about this quite a bit recently. I could change my £3000 boiler for a £10,000 heat pump?
I could change my old banger of a car £2000 for a new electric one £35,000? Or, I could just not replace it when I retire in two years.
I could get solar panels fitted but they're hugely expensive and I'm poor, by Western European standards.
I can't really see what I could do that would make much of a difference unless I spend vast amounts of money I haven't got.
I'd like to go gas free, the government (of both persuasions) subsidised gas boilers for years, a scheme that helped people change to heat pumps would be a start. Improving public transport in places other than big cities would also make a big difference.

sasquath

Been thinking about this quite a bit recently. I could change my £3000 boiler for a £10,000 heat pump?
I could change my old banger of a car £2000 for a new electric one £35,000? Or, I could just not replace it when I retire in two years.
I could get solar panels fitted but they're hugely expensive and I'm poor, by Western European standards.
I can't really see what I could do that would make much of a difference unless I spend vast amounts of money I haven't got.
I'd like to go gas free, the government (of both persuasions) subsidised gas boilers for years, a scheme that helped people change to heat pumps would be a start. Improving public transport in places other than big cities would also make a big difference.
Stop using tumble dryer, on top dryer sucking electricity you need to iron every single thing...
Solar is cheap, installation cost often 3x more than panels and inverter. It's a two-three day, two man job, and costs 2-6k!!

Electric cars are not the solution, carbon footprint might be slightly lower over 10 years, but by then you'll need new battery.
Toxic waste generated by lithiub battery production negates all environmental benefits of a bit lower CO2 emmisions over10 years of car life.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Now you say it like that it is a positive solution, but you did not say that originally. I now like your positive suggestion.
Please forgive me. I am so sorry. I genuinely did not realise that I could only voice opinions that you like. I shall flagellate myself severely across the thighs, and will in future endeavour to seek your approval, or else prostrate myself in mercy while you consider my what means I should be chastised for my impertinence.

I have noticed many people now talking about what we should do to lessen out carbon footprint. Often this is in general terms, so how about listing specifics that would help people to do something rather than just feel unable to help.

I thought this example would be good as its quite cheap at about £200, appears to work, so would soon pay back and is within most people budget.

Also it something new rather than the fit loft insulation we have heard endlessly. What else is out there ?

Tadpole Energy | The Cure for the Most Common Heating Problems
Oh come on, the entrained air in the first fill will come out of solution when the heating is first used, any decent system will have an auto air vent but bleeding the rads will achieve the same thing! Pointless device that's actually wasting resources! Snake Oil.

newts

Veteran
Please forgive me. I am so sorry. I genuinely did not realise that I could only voice opinions that you like. I shall flagellate myself severely across the thighs, and will in future endeavour to seek your approval, or else prostrate myself in mercy while you consider my what means I should be chastised for my impertinence.
Kick your own arse & leave a large carbon footprint.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've never driven and don't intend to.
I've not flown for nigh on 35 years.
Cycle or walk for almost all journeys. I'm in a car/bus/train on average twice a month.
As I live alone I can get by only heating the room I'm using. One person in a fully heated home is just as bad as one person in a car.
Keep an eye on food miles and buy local when I can.
I waste very little, clothes and items are used until unrepairable.
When there is a choice I try to buy things with the least packaging.

On the downside I do eat too much meat and it's really hard to find affordable clothes that aren't made either half a world away or from materials produced just as far away.

Baldy

Über Member
Stop using tumble dryer, on top dryer sucking electricity you need to iron every single thing...
Solar is cheap, installation cost often 3x more than panels and inverter. It's a two-three day, two man job, and costs 2-6k!!

Electric cars are not the solution, carbon footprint might be slightly lower over 10 years, but by then you'll need new battery.
Toxic waste generated by lithiub battery production negates all environmental benefits of a bit lower CO2 emmisions over10 years of car life.
Don't have a tumble dryer, or an iron. 2-6k like I said hugely expensive can't afford that.

Top Bottom