Aside from cycling helping your footprint.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It is probably quite a few quid and most people would have to pay a plumber to get it in there. Did you have any positive suggestions to add ?
That is a positive suggestion - bleed your rads annually, it's easy - learn how. Then, every 5 or 6 years get the corrosion inhibitor renewed, and you get exactly the same effect for much less outlay.

None of these gadgets, whether in the home, the car, whatever, are any kind of substitute for diligent maintenance.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a positive suggestion.

As a gardener ive always liked and encouraged clients to plant trees. When i get a garden again i shall plant as many as i can. Even a small garden probably has room for an ornamental or espalier.

Care needs to be taken with the type and location of trees, as some can cause problems for other trees and the general eco-system, others can generate pollutants themselves, and others can increase the concentrations of pollutants from other sources.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Your right, but I was rather hoping this thread might be !
Indeed, I think there's a tendency these days to lump all environmental concerns together under the climate change / carbon footprint umbrella which of course isn't the case.

Personally I don't think that any of us are really able to reduce our personal carbon footprint in a meaningful way. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and by doing what we can, we can hopefully create a market for proper environmental solutions that might actually have an impact. We're rightfully concerned about greenwashing and companies paying lip service to environmental issues but we live in a capitalist society and we need to create demand and desire for change. Companies paying lip service isn't enough but it's a step in the right direction and shows that they are at least aware of the issues.

I don't want to turn the thermostat down. I've been turning the thermostat down for forty years and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. I want to live in a society where I can turn the thermostat up, so we need to create the demand for the technology that allows us to do that.

The best thing I think we can do, in our capitalist democracy? Use our purchasing power and use our vote.

Drago

Legendary Member
You mean all taxpayers, government has no money.
Once it's been deducted from your wages I'm pretty sure the government then have it and no one else.

Care needs to be taken with the type and location of trees, as some can cause problems for other trees and the general eco-system, others can generate pollutants themselves, and others can increase the concentrations of pollutants from other sources.

Indeedy! Mass planting in the wrong place, particularly the wrong latitude, can actually make matters worse by affecting atmospheric albedo and adding water vapour to the atmosphere. Very few things give us a free lunch.

sasquath

I did wonder if it is worth getting in the chaps who can check your house for draughts with a big extraction fan. It would highlight the ones you never realise are there such as around the pipe out from the washing machine.
Deffo worth it, but you can't seal your home with noeans of ventilation. That's why all badly designed new homes have trickle vents in the windows. Without them you would run a risk of CO2 poisoning, not to mention humidity problems.
If you seal all the drafts including trickle vents in the windows you must install MVHR.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I did wonder if it is worth getting in the chaps who can check your house for draughts with a big extraction fan. It would highlight the ones you never realise are there such as around the pipe out from the washing machine.

I'd be cautious trying to cover every hole/draught. Homes need to breathe to allow internal moisture to dry. If you make your home airtight, you will quickly get internal damp.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
When putting central heating on, it's good practice to open all the windows an hour before to allow internal condensation to dry. It means you can put the heating on a lower temp and for a shorter period.

This is because much of the first half hour of heating goes on drying the house out.

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
That is a positive suggestion - bleed your rads annually, it's easy - learn how. Then, every 5 or 6 years get the corrosion inhibitor renewed, and you get exactly the same effect for much less outlay.

None of these gadgets, whether in the home, the car, whatever, are any kind of substitute for diligent maintenance.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a positive suggestion.
Now you say it like that it is a positive solution, but you did not say that originally. I now like your positive suggestion.

WHen I moved in about 7 years ago I replaced all the double glazing with better stuff - over a few years but it is all done now
I also swapped the boiler for something more efficient - as advised by the current government advise at the time

The roof space is so full of insulation that it is pretty much inaccessible so that's fine

basically most of the winter if we put teh heating on it is only on for 30 minutes ro so and it is up to temperature - helped by a posher and more efficient radiator in the lounge.
As we both like bedroom to be cool we hardly ever have any heating on upstairs at all - the one in the hall sends enough upstairs to everything

Only option I am looking at is solar panels - did try a few years ago but I had loads of trouble even getting people to quote - and the quotes I got were full of rubbish gadgets to make it look better than it was.
And the battery they were pushing was absolute rubbish!

WIll try again soon!

OP
OP
Gillstay

Gillstay

Über Member
How big a garden are you thinking this chap has ?

Top Bottom