Asking for Feedback about my bike lock invention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 3141042, member: 30090"]Applies to wheels only...[/QUOTE]

The Pitlock system also secures seat posts and IIRC headsets

[QUOTE 3141042, member: 30090"]Applies to wheels only...[/QUOTE]
Yes I know. However bearing in mind the O/P commented about how annoyed he was about having 3 bikes nicked, it seems odd to then only worry about the wheels. To me, visual security is the key thing. A thief quickly checking out which bikes to steal probably won't spot this invention, but what they will be looking for is the lock securing the bike as a whole. So if you've got these special wheel locks, they won't stop your bike being nicked if you've only got a crappy cable lock. I use a hefty 2kg motorbike chain, on the basis a thief will try an easier target. So that's why I think this idea isn't much use.

The problem is that in many cases the bike frame itself is "expendable" , and damage to it is not an issue.

I know of one case where a Rohloff was stolen from a very expensive frame by bolt cropping the rear triangle!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Sorry - I can't see how this will help stop a bike being stolen. A decent heavy duty chain should always be threaded through wheels and frame for maximum deterrent effect.
If you're locking up around a tree or telegraph pole, the chain doesn't always reach through the wheel. Also saves time in that you don't have to thread and unthread through the wheel - and for some people, this time saving is worth the expense.

OP
OP
Bickeylikey

Bickeylikey

What differentiates us from other competition are cheaper price, high-end material (one of the toughest stainless steels), multiple variations (continually adding more), safe from attempts to be unlocked (other products like the Pinhead have loopholes where it can be opened without the proper tool), and a slicker design.

Note that this is a supplement to the U-lock and other locks of that sort. I've realized many people carry two U-locks or a U-lock and chain, but with this wheel lock that problem is practically solved.

Also, if you lose the wrench, as long as you have the serial number which would be given with the product, we can ship you another.

I'm thinking this product can have a chance, not to be biased or anything. Is there any other feedback I can get?

Reactions: _aD

stuee147

dont mean to put a downer on a good idea but they are nothing more than a locking wheel nut the same as you have for cars and they are so easy to remove without the key all you need is some bolt grip sockets like these

609676_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420.jpg

there around £10 for a small set iv used them to remove so called locking wheel nuts and many a rusted and rounded bolt on old landrovers

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
There you are Bickeylikey - a challenge has been set. Time for a YouTube video of someone trying to remove your product using those bolt grips.

OP
OP
Bickeylikey

Bickeylikey

dont mean to put a downer on a good idea but they are nothing more than a locking wheel nut the same as you have for cars and they are so easy to remove without the key all you need is some bolt grip sockets like these

609676_R_Z001?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420.jpg

there around £10 for a small set iv used them to remove so called locking wheel nuts and many a rusted and rounded bolt on old landrovers

We tried a similar product to the bolt grip you posted! We also took a video of it and the link is below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAGwTx7Msc

It's not gonna get enough leverage to open up our lock.

OP
OP
Bickeylikey

Bickeylikey

We tried a similar product to the bolt grip you posted! We also took a video of it and the link is below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAGwTx7Msc

It's not gonna get enough leverage to open up our lock.

A suggestion for using this tool was actually brought up on the MTBR forums, where it was recommended we hammer it in to try. So I'll make a new video doing that and see what happens.

Just a note: regardless of whether or not this works, there's ALWAYS going to be a way to compromise this and/or any lock. If a thief wants it, he'll get his hands on it. We're just trying to deter as many common theft tools as possible (how many thieves own this and would carry it around? I'm guessing a minority), while still creating a sexy product.

Something I'd like to get your guys' thoughts on is ideas on is what kind of cyclists do you think this would be the right product for? My gut is telling me people 18-35yo, with a bike worth $100-->$1,000...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I think I said I would have considered it, but that I already have locking skewers. Bike would be in your target range, but I wouldn't be:whistle:

I'm not sure why you think that no one over the age of 35 would worry about their wheels or not want shiny blue bits on their bike!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Well I think I said I would have considered it, but that I already have locking skewers. Bike would be in your target range, but I wouldn't be:whistle:

I'm not sure why you think that no one over the age of 35 would worry about their wheels or not want shiny blue bits on their bike!

@Bickeylikey. Much the same as this (no skewers already tho) I'm one of the ones that has been quite positive but you've cut your target demographic 10 years too young to catch me. Maybe you need to think a little wider in that aspect for your branding and market strategy.

what makes you think these will just be a thing for young people with a cheap to moderately expensive bike?

Also to ask a couple of questions again: would you provide multi packs of the same thread pattern for several bikes to be 'serviced' by the same spanner head shape?

& how many spanners come with the nuts?
Please don't say 1 but I can ship you another if you lose/break it, that would be a very bad answer.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
@Bickeylikey. Much the same as this (no skewers already tho) I'm one of the ones that has been quite positive but you've cut your target demographic 10 years too young to catch me. Maybe you need to think a little wider in that aspect for your branding and market strategy.

what makes you think these will just be a thing for young people with a cheap to moderately expensive bike?

Also to ask a couple of questions again: would you provide multi packs of the same thread pattern for several bikes to be 'serviced' by the same spanner head shape?

& how many spanners come with the nuts?
Please don't say 1 but I can ship you another if you lose/break it, that would be a very bad answer.
If I was buying multiple packs for several bikes I too would want the ability to have the identical spanner/key but one for each bike.

Top Bottom