Assembling a turbo trainer... help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrandadRob

So assembled the turbo trainer ok, but one thing is bothering me. Where the turbo unit attaches to the frame, there is an adjustment knob for pressure to the wheel. I have a large spring which goes over the adjustment bolt, but where abouts. Good instructions, but nothing about that bit. Its probably obvious, but not to me today.

si_c

Guru
Which turbo trainer is it? Also a couple of pictures might help 👍

OP
OP
G

GrandadRob

Its a Greytek. Pretty much the same as most others. Triangular frame. mounting bracket on lower part. Bolt through two brackets to allow it to swing back and forward. Then the adjusting bolt which goes through the actual turbo unit, onto the other side of the main frame. This bolt allows up and down adjustment to increase or decrease the roller tension onto the tyre. The spring, in my opinion, is there to take up any slack should the wheel be slightly out of kilter.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its a Greytek. Pretty much the same as most others. Triangular frame. mounting bracket on lower part. Bolt through two brackets to allow it to swing back and forward. Then the adjusting bolt which goes through the actual turbo unit, onto the other side of the main frame. This bolt allows up and down adjustment to increase or decrease the roller tension onto the tyre. The spring, in my opinion, is there to take up any slack should the wheel be slightly out of kilter.
Pictures say a thousand words
show us the spring and mark where you might think it goes on these two photos
Screenshot_20210108-180708_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-180800_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
G

GrandadRob

will photo the spring tomorrow. its in a cold garage now. But the blue adjuster bolt goes through the turbo unit and has a nut on the far side. The spring is long, so probably goes between the frames somehow. photo later many thanks

The spring will probably go on the threaded bolt of the blue adjuster. In between the two metal plates - the one that the blue bolt goes through with the yellow arrow, and the one that it screws into with the red arrow. It provides resistance and allows a degree of flexibility when riding.
Can't see any reason why it should go between the frames. Photos would help.

OP
OP
G

GrandadRob

Ok. My thoughts is as said, the purpose of the spring is to allow any imperfections in the wheel circumference to be ironed by allowing controlled movement of the unit. So in the middle of the night, in bed, thinking, I might have got it sorted in my head anyway. Will give a go later. On the photos I think the spring must go between the blue knob and the frame. Many thanks to all.

Attachments

• E4C2ABB8-99D0-4B75-910C-8AE3C9DEDE8F.jpeg
    E4C2ABB8-99D0-4B75-910C-8AE3C9DEDE8F.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2E4EBD73-40CF-470A-9297-A84206C14D62.jpeg
    2E4EBD73-40CF-470A-9297-A84206C14D62.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 154D8130-50FD-4676-B6A8-CA67E181D2A6.jpeg
    154D8130-50FD-4676-B6A8-CA67E181D2A6.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 8

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The spring would usually go over (around) the adjustment bolt - the threadded bolt you can see in your first picture.

Might be worth googling your specific trainer and looking at the images on line.

OP
OP
G

GrandadRob

In the first photo, what you can see is the actual spring with the bolt inside. I think this is wrong, and the spring should be directly behind the blue adjuster. Can’t find a clear photo of this. The instructions were good but never showed the spring position. Going out to sort it soon. Thanks

Top Bottom