Au revoir, once more into the breach etc...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Och, it a bonnie day today, can't see what all the fuss is about...

shirokazan

Veteran
Did Scotland treat you well, Kirstie?

As you mentioned that the train strike was threatening to delay/hamper your return, I figure today must be the last possible day for your return. So, come on then, tell us all about it, e.g. freezing in your tent atop some bleak, windswept moorland. :evil:

Blurry'ell!! <puff, pant, wheeze, cough> that was a ride and a half!

Yes I am back -we have been back since Friday night. And we survived it fine! Photos are being processed this weekend and will appear on Flickr next week sometime.

Highlights, or rather, notable elements of the ride were:
- pushing through snowdrifts in Strath Vaich
- being caught in a freak snow storm and gale on the A823
- riding through amazing mountainous snowscapes on the way to Gairloch
- climbing a LOT. The best day for climbing was the final day, where we managed 5,400ft in just 37 miles, taking in the bealach na ba and the road to Plockton. Overall climbing was 23,000 ft in 230 miles.
- riding into the teeth of a 25mph headwind for 40 odd miles from Gairloch to Torridon
- the off road section from Strath Carron to Strath Vaich is HIGHLY recommended, perhaps not when buried in snow, but it was still a very special experience.

We also had some spectacular sunny weather (if a little windy) and were rewarded with great views and some exciting wildlife sightings. We also drank a LOT of local beer

And we discovered some excellent accommodation - everywhere we stayed is highly recommended:
Sleeperzzz hostel at Rogart station
Aultguish Inn on the A823
Carn Deag SHYA at Gairloch
Rua Reidh lighthouse
Torridon SHYA
Applecross campsite and
Plockton Station bunkhouse.

We can also recommend the mountain coffee house in gairloch, which is a fab place. Actually Gairloch as a whole is a great place.

So we are happy campers, with slight knee ache and a significant calorie deficit...nom nom nom

HJ said:
So it was worth it then ;)

Oh yes definitely :ohmy:

shirokazan

Veteran
Excellent stuff, Kirstie. Sounds like a vivid experience and an interesting time!

I've had the map out but can't quite work out your route. It looks like you started at Inverness (I guess you took a train there), and somehow wended your merry way to Kyle of Lochalsh (train back again)?

Did you book your accommodation first or did you do some internet research, make a note of possible places and take a chance turning up at the door?

And one final question: how bone-shaking was the off-road bit between Strathcarron and Strath Vaich?

shirokazan said:
I've had the map out but can't quite work out your route. It looks like you started at Inverness (I guess you took a train there), and somehow wended your merry way to Kyle of Lochalsh (train back again)?

Did you book your accommodation first or did you do some internet research, make a note of possible places and take a chance turning up at the door?

And one final question: how bone-shaking was the off-road bit between Strathcarron and Strath Vaich?

We started at Rogart, north of inverness, and then yes, we wended our way down to Plockton via Aultguish Inn (A823) -going through bonar bridge beforehand, Gairloch, Rua Riedh lighthouse, Torridon, Applecross and then Plockton over 6 days.

We did book our accommodation first - as we were going over easter, we didn't want to take the chance of just turning up.

The off road bit varied: from Strathcarron up to Dearnich lodge it was hard packed and quite smooth. From there on in to the end it was stony track so fairly bumpy, but the 700c tyres made it easier. I'm a seasoned mtb'er too and so that kind of thing doesn't really bother me.

Top Bottom