Au revoir, once more into the breach etc...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nice pics, kirstie. Looks a bit parky!

shirokazan

Veteran
Thanks for the info, Kirstie.

Having seen the photos I'm both jealous and enthused. That route through Strathcarron / Strath Vaich looks superb (notwithstanding the snow, which made it look pretty at least). My question, re how bone-shaking it was, was motivated by concern with how my panniers will put up with it: I've got Ortliebs but I do worry that being shaken about must put some horrible stresses on the mountings.

In May 2007, I cycled along that road that from Ullapool to Inverness (the A835) past the Aultguish Inn. Unfortunately, earlier in my tour, the 40mph headwind I encountered heading west from John O'Groats (I was aiming to get to Durness that day, but only reached Bettyhill) meant I was a day late in getting to Ullapool, otherwise I'd have turned off and gone down to Gairloch and Torridon (I had to get to Inverness to catch the sleeper train). Having seen your photos, I'm even more disappointed I didn't get to take that road. :thumbsup:

And your photos of Applecross and the Bealach na Ba brought back the memories, as my first cycling foray to Scotland was there in 2006 - a mate and I took our road bikes up there and cycled around the peninsula a couple of times. The ascent of the Bealach na Ba was spoiled a bit by all the camper vans going up and down the single track road (this was July) but a local person told us to come back in September as it would be very quiet from then. Was it traffic-free when you were there?

Anyhow, elsewhere in Touring and Expedition, I've been taking note of the discussion re the A830 Mallaig to Fort William road. This Wednesday, I'm taking the train to Carlisle to embark on a trip to Fort William via Stranraer, Isle of Arran, Mull of Kintyre, Isle of Mull, Ardnamurchan and Loch Shiel. My route means taking the final 15 miles along that road to Fort William: keeping my fingers crossed that it will be bearable!

shirokazan said:
Thanks for the info, Kirstie.

Having seen the photos I'm both jealous and enthused. That route through Strathcarron / Strath Vaich looks superb (notwithstanding the snow, which made it look pretty at least). My question, re how bone-shaking it was, was motivated by concern with how my panniers will put up with it: I've got Ortliebs but I do worry that being shaken about must put some horrible stresses on the mountings.

In May 2007, I cycled along that road that from Ullapool to Inverness (the A835) past the Aultguish Inn. Unfortunately, earlier in my tour, the 40mph headwind I encountered heading west from John O'Groats (I was aiming to get to Durness that day, but only reached Bettyhill) meant I was a day late in getting to Ullapool, otherwise I'd have turned off and gone down to Gairloch and Torridon (I had to get to Inverness to catch the sleeper train). Having seen your photos, I'm even more disappointed I didn't get to take that road. :smile:

And your photos of Applecross and the Bealach na Ba brought back the memories, as my first cycling foray to Scotland was there in 2006 - a mate and I took our road bikes up there and cycled around the peninsula a couple of times. The ascent of the Bealach na Ba was spoiled a bit by all the camper vans going up and down the single track road (this was July) but a local person told us to come back in September as it would be very quiet from then. Was it traffic-free when you were there?

Anyhow, elsewhere in Touring and Expedition, I've been taking note of the discussion re the A830 Mallaig to Fort William road. This Wednesday, I'm taking the train to Carlisle to embark on a trip to Fort William via Stranraer, Isle of Arran, Mull of Kintyre, Isle of Mull, Ardnamurchan and Loch Shiel. My route means taking the final 15 miles along that road to Fort William: keeping my fingers crossed that it will be bearable!

Are you coming down from Lochailort? If so, this time of year, it will be fine, nice ride. I used to live that way so know it well, In fact the whole road to Mallaig is fine, if slightly straight and boring in places, the singletrack was better. In fact your whole tour sound fabulous, I've ridden most of it.

shirokazan

Veteran
Crackle said:
Are you coming down from Lochailort? If so, this time of year, it will be fine, nice ride. I used to live that way so know it well, In fact the whole road to Mallaig is fine, if slightly straight and boring in places, the singletrack was better. In fact your whole tour sound fabulous, I've ridden most of it.

Crackle, I won't be going to Mallaig: I'll be going the other way. My plan sees me joining the A830 just east of Glenfinnan (having taken a track that runs along the south side of Loch Shiel) and then heading east to Fort William.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the planned tour. I'm really looking forward to it at the moment. Just two more days at work to go!

shirokazan said:
Crackle, I won't be going to Mallaig: I'll be going the other way. My plan sees me joining the A830 just east of Glenfinnan (having taken a track that runs along the south side of Loch Shiel) and then heading east to Fort William.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the planned tour. I'm really looking forward to it at the moment. Just two more days at work to go!

That was me being unclear. No I realize you're going the other way. I know where the track comes out and that section of road is fine.

Presumably you're heading over to Polloch? If so, a couple of years ago, that road was in poor condition due to logging lorries. It's probably been patched up now but it's a steep, narrow and poor road anyway, lovely spot though.

shirokazan

Veteran
Crackle said:
Presumably you're heading over to Polloch? If so, a couple of years ago, that road was in poor condition due to logging lorries. It's probably been patched up now but it's a steep, narrow and poor road anyway, lovely spot though.

That's right. I'm heading north from Strontian, over the top, and down to Polloch, then heading north on the lakeside road/track to the junction with the A830. My research on the internet came up with this article, and the picture showed one stretch that looked fine. I'm inspired by Kirstie's ventures up Strathcarron/Strath Vaich to take a chance on this road/track. If it goes wrong (and it's not been patched up yet), I will be cursing myself!

You'll be OK. The road was still driveable so will be passable on a bike. I've never ridden the track but I knew people who'd used a mtn bike on it. It's a landrover track, so at worst you might have to push some bits but that's a guess, despite living there, the information I got on the track was sketchy, though it does appear on some cycling leaflets obtainable in the area so is obviously passable.

Edit: It'll be interesting to hear first hand how it was actually.

Top Bottom