Auntie Helen's July in Germany... with trike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The Theodor Heuss Brücke which carries a major road over the Rhein Park is also a helter skelter bridge. You'll need to hurry up if you're going to get all the restaurants in before you go.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I know! It's just I seem to lack appetite in the evening, having sat in a hot and sticky classroom for 4 hours.

I have done the Theodor Heuss Brücke Helter Skelter but only going up it, which is decidedly the wrong way. I thought it was the other end of the really good Helter Skelter one but I was mistaken.

Current plan is to cycle up to Königswinter on Saturday, via the Helter Skelter bridge, and then pootle back again. Sunday I plan to get the train to Venlo and then ride back.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Wednesday 21 July

Forecast was for mega rain this afternoon and this evening so I planned to put the rack and Vaude panniers on the trike after my morning constitutional ride.

I decided to redo the route that crosses the river to Neuss on a bridge and then crosses back over at Zons with the little ferry. It's a nice route, mostly quiet roads or cycle path, and there are some short cuts in case I have a disaster and have to rush home.

21JulyNeussZons.jpg

I have managed to avoid photographing any bridges today, but I did snap this barge which was covered in tractors (but the photo didn't come out very well, unfortunately)
DSCF5566.jpg

I also saw a pole with loads of shields with images on in Stürzelberg (which was rather a nice little village).

DSCF5567.jpg

There's an equivalent one of these the other side of the river after the Zons crossing (sorry about the bad photos)

DSCF5568.jpg

As I approached Zons I did a slightly different route than the GPX track had, which took me all the way around that little bight at the bottom left hand corner of the map. The path was a bit rough there so I see why the downloaded GPX cut the corner off.

The ferry was on my side of the river when I arrived and I got on with about another 10 bikes and 3 cars. This was 10am.

Once on the other side of the river I whizzed round Schloss Benrath, then enjoyed the ride through the Hasseler Forst which leads across to the two lakes (which I didn't visit this time round). I didn't follow the original route at the end which was a bit awkward and involved going over a railway on a narrow and steep bridge, I instead just took main roads home.

It was a nice sunny day today and getting warmer. When I got back I extracted the trike rack from my car and fitted it and used my Vaude waterproof panniers for the afternoon's lessons. Of course, it didn't rain - it's only just started now.

Tomorrow may also be a bit rainy so I'm not sure of my plans for a ride yet.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Thursday 22 July

The first cool day since I've been in Germany, a very comfortable 22 degrees and overcast so it felt colder.

After last night's rain I fitted my front mudguards (thinking the routes might be a bit mucky) and set off for the Helter Skelter bridge, which is north of the Altstadt.

22JulyHelterSkelterbridge.jpg

I arrived at the bridge after 14 miles (I took the scenic route that stays beside the river).

Here I am looking back at Düsseldorf to the south:

DSCF5569.jpg

I went across the bridge from East to West (no interesting Helter Skelter on the Eastern side).

DSCF5570.jpg

Then at the end, a warning...

DSCF5571.jpg

I looked down and saw someone coming up the bridge so waited for him to get to the top before I set off.

DSCF5572.jpg

As I went down I filmed it with my camera. Unfortunately it's 29mb so I need to do something with the file before I can upload it - that something may require me to be at home in England with the other Mac which has video editing tools. We'll see.

And at the bottom:

DSCF5574.jpg

I cycled back along the western bank for a little while, passing a field which had these chappies in it:

DSCF5575.jpg

Then home in light drizzle for lunch.

Watch this space for the Helter Skelter video!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Excellent! I told my Mum about the helter skelter, she didn't sound convinced and said it sounded dangerous - I think she had an image in her mind of something you come down on a doormat...

I wonder if it ever gets really busy? I mean you might be stuck for ever if there was a constant stream of people coming up...

What does the sign translate as? I know it's 'warning' something...

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
What does the sign translate as? I know it's 'warning' something...

Take care during descent. Something no-one would have ever considered but for the sign!!

It's a shame, Auntie, that the weather has deteriorated for you last couple of days, but at least it is not as hot now. I hope you can enjoy the remaining time you have in the Fatherland.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Unkraut, I don't mind about the weather as it was soooooo hard to concentrate on the lessons when it was 36 degrees. 22 is much more like it. Today I even wore my long cycling tights, having brought two pairs here in my suitcase. My waterproof jacket that I bought with me, plus the new one I bought, seem that they won't get much use though. And my windproof hasn't been removed from its hanger yet. Good thing I've got a decent-sized estate car for trike and gubbins.

Today I tried out one of Andy in Sig's recommended restaurants, the one on the corner of Friedrichstraße and Herzogstraße. It was an Italian called Il Mercado or something like that. I had a very good pasta meal which was good value (6,50€) but was slightly taken aback by the price of the orange juice, 4€. That was for 0,3l and it was freshly squeezed but I would have been happy with cheaper out of a tetra pak...

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Friday 23 July

Short 15 mile ride this morning as I ended up doing 15 miles yesterday after my lesson, thus did 45 in total.

I re-did a route I've done twice before, this time the other way round and cutting out some more off-road sections.

23JulyUnterbacherSee.jpg

I left at 9am and arrived at the Unterbacher See at 9:45am - it was incredibly still and tranquil.

DSCF5577.jpg

I don't doubt that on Sunday afternoons all these bike spaces are filled.

DSCF5576.jpg

As I returned to the Düsseldorf town limits I photographed this sign - they seemed to be twinned with everyone!

DSCF5578.jpg

And then settled down back in my room with my post-cycling treat, a cuppa and a slice of Apfelkuchen.

DSCF5579.jpg

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Have you checked out the local Woyton chain of coffee houses yet? Lovely Milchkaffe and the best croissants in town.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
No Milchkaffee for me. I have brought my own teabags with me for safety (I don't drink coffee anyway).

Our group of students just decided to go out and as there's a mighty dishy Frenchman joined us this week, who's very chummy, I thought I'd go along. They got the tram, I cycled, I was there just a couple of minutes after them - but said Frenchman had disappeared (he clearly wasn't eating with us). I had hoped we'd go to a nice Italian restaurant but instead we all got a Kebab. I went home after that.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Saturday 24 July

Today, being Saturday, was a chance for a longer ride. But not too long, as I'm planning to go to Venlo (Netherlands) by train tomorrow and cycle back which will be a 50 mile day.

I decided this morning that I've been unfair to the north part of Düsseldorf after my less successful visit to Duisburg a couple of weeks ago, so I'd give it another chance - not going all the way to Duisburg but turning round at Krefeld.

24JulyKrefeld.jpg

So, off I set, in some light drizzle and wearing longs and a windproof top - English cycling clothing that I haven't needed so far during the Düsseldorf heatwave, which has now broken. I followed my usual route along the Rhein past the garden centre at Flehe. A large flock of sheep and goats had appeared overnight and were presumably cutting the grass.

DSCF5580.jpg

I crossed the river opposite the Altstadt. Here's a view of the posh front of Düsseldorf from the bridge.

DSCF5581.jpg

And this is the big funfair which opened last night (with half an hour of fireworks I could hear from my room 4 miles away)

DSCF5582.jpg

I followed my previous route towards Krefeld, including crossing the super-narrow bridge. The photo I took last time didn't come out for some unfathomable reason so I took a few more.

DSCF5583.jpg

DSCF5585.jpg

DSCF5586.jpg

My trike is about the maximum width to fit through there!

I thought last time I had visited Krefeld but I hadn't quite as it's not beside the river but slightly inland. Instead I had visited Uerdingen, but as it was a nice place I thought I'd stop and have lunch there. I plumped for an English Breakfast, which vaguely resembled an English Breakfast but not quite (the bacon wasn't quite right, only two small pieces of toast, but the eggs were OK. But where was the sausage, mushrooms, hash browns, tomatoes, fried bread?...)
DSCF5587.jpg

Still it gave me some fuel after 20 miles, and my own teabag meant I had a decent cuppa too.

I crossed the bridge at Uerdingen to return to the eastern bank of the Rhein. This is looking back on Krefeld's docks.
DSCF5588.jpg

This is looking back at the bridge now I had set off southwards towards Düsseldorf.

DSCF5589.jpg

I passed Kaiserswerth, the airport (lots of low-flying jets overhead) and made my way through fields and villages. At one point I saw a pair of floating markers on the Rhein but I don't know what they mean; undoubtedly James will.
DSCF5590.jpg

As I approached Düsseldorf Altstadt the traffic (bicycle, walking and rollerblading) increased significantly. Fortunately the day was warmer and I no longer needed my windproof, but it was still a little overcast at times.

I saw this rather amusing set of pennants advertising a Düsseldorf food festival - I think the designer hadn't thought what it would look like from the wrong side:
DSCF5592.jpg

Loads of people were using the funfair and there was a boat taking people across the river directly to it.

DSCF5594.jpg

I also passed these Dutch beer bicycles.
DSCF5595.jpg

And stopped on the little pedestrian bridge over the Hafen to watch this sailing boat try to make headway against the tide.
DSCF5597.jpg

There was a pretty strong wind blowing southwards (i.e. helping him) but he really wasn't making much progress. Just after I took this second shot he turned round and went back the other way at great speed.
DSCF5599.jpg

I stopped off at the café whose owner has a HP Velotechnik Skorpion recumbent trike for some food - this time Apfelkuchen. The orangey colour is from the sunshade.
DSCF5600.jpg

When I got home (via the supermarket) I had done 45 miles. The weather's cheered up nicely now and I have a nice quiet evening in with the Pride & Prejudice DVDs...

One interesting thing I noticed - my weekly mileage whilst here in Düsseldorf is remarkably consistent. Take a look at this screenshot from Ascent which breaks July down into weeks:

Ascentscreenshot.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I passed Kaiserswerth, the airport (lots of low-flying jets overhead) and made my way through fields and villages. At one point I saw a pair of floating markers on the Rhein but I don't know what they mean; undoubtedly James will.
DSCF5590.jpg
The red flag on the right means 'pass to starboard', so keep to the right of the vessel.

I ought to remember what the other one means but it doesn't ring a bell.

Top Bottom