Australian Cyclists Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cannae!!! Told you I am a foreigner!
Anyhow, want to do press and pr :biggrin:
As Bob The Builder might say,
Scottish Parliament Election.jpg
"Yes you can!"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@classic33, I like the idea of a UK Cyclists Party (or whatever you'd call it) :smile:, but I'm not eligible to vote in UK elections, as I need to be (a) a Commonwealth citizen (which I am, of course) and (b) have indefinite leave to remain in the UK (which I don't).

I'd have to become a permanent UK resident, as far as I can tell, and believe it or not, I've considered the idea, because I'm fed up with how cyclists are treated here, and it seems pretty clear to me that the UK is more advanced in how it treats cyclists than Australia. Plus those Welsh mountains are calling me... I can hear them saying "Cycle up me, Victor, you know you want to...".

classic33

Leg End Member
@victor
Awaiting a response to an email sent today,with regards their manifesto & whether we'd be allowed to adapt it to suit the UK rules. So for the time being its sit & wait.

classic33

Leg End Member
This reply tonight
ImageProxy.mvc

Hi,
Well, I'm all for a I Cycle, I Vote global movement!
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but we have considered an umbrella under icycleivote.com linked to national movements so that we benefit from each other. We can chat about that more later.
I have no idea what your cycling conditions are like there, we feel they are generally rather appalling here with roadside manners to suit. So our approach may or not be useful to you.
We have still to write our constitution as we are contesting first at state level and have to develop ones to suit each. Should we gain momentum through a reasonable showing in Victoria's elections in late 2014 then NSW and other states will be in play. Federal and local elections are also possibilities.
You should look through our website and some of the other coverage (the SBS piece in particular) to get an idea of where we are coming from but we are very clearly positioning ourselves as pro-cycling, not anti-motorist party. We are not just looking to stick it to the motorists, that would never get us the broad support we need to actually gain a seat. Many cyclists are of course also motorists at some point.
We are also clearly tapping into a broad constituency where bicycling appeals for a lot of reasons - commuting, recreation, holidays, utility, MTB, etc. Cycling is not just a "greens" issue anymore and breaking that link has already been clearly reflected in who is joining up here - lots of "conservatives" – the Boris brigade?
We are positioning cycling as the core of positive change in and for a community.
The first decision for your group is whether you just want to use your effort just as a pulpit, or do you really want to win a seat and do all it takes to make that possible? We are not discussing MHL or any other divisive cycling issues. This would be death by a thousand cuts. Stay focussed on the prime objective and let that carry you. The major parties learned long ago that a lot of detail out early just sets you up for being pulled apart. We are merely saying that if we are successful many things may be possible for cyclists and cycling. Focus on what is not happening today and could change with a voice in government. Without unity we remain just where we are. So far, this is working.
Have one person you can trust as your "spiritual leader" that is given full authority to guide things. This person may not in fact be your candidate at the end – but has to have the respect of enough of the core constituency to be trusted to do what is best overall. As cyclists we find this hard to do, but without it there will be no clear message and room for lots of splinter groups and factions – another sure way to kill your effort before it has a chance. Once you gain momentum (because there will be a lot of doubters) I think you will see a lot of people joining in.
We have also engaged an insider political savvy person who happens to be a passionate cyclist to ensure we understand what it will take and to get us properly positioned and can help us work out the preferential deals that we have here in Australia.
But to keep all of this in context, even with a thousand members in just ten days, we have a lot of work to do and the odds are still stacked against our success. It was just me, a website and an iPad at a bicycle show that got this going. The feedback was energising and assured us that it was worth moving forward.
I hope this is somehow helpful, please keep in touch, would love to help out as I can if you indeed decide to move forward. Happy to Skype as well at some point.
Kind regards,
Omar Khalifa
Founder
ACP

So are those who said they were interested at the start still interested?

classic33

Leg End Member
We have a party constitution to come up with, so it get your thinking caps. Given the response from the Austrailian Cyclist Party.
@Pat "5mph", hows the press release coming on?

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33, I like the idea of a UK Cyclists Party (or whatever you'd call it) :smile:, but I'm not eligible to vote in UK elections, as I need to be (a) a Commonwealth citizen (which I am, of course) and (b) have indefinite leave to remain in the UK (which I don't).

I'd have to become a permanent UK resident, as far as I can tell, and believe it or not, I've considered the idea, because I'm fed up with how cyclists are treated here, and it seems pretty clear to me that the UK is more advanced in how it treats cyclists than Australia. Plus those Welsh mountains are calling me... I can hear them saying "Cycle up me, Victor, you know you want to...".
You could also consider a few of the Yorkshire inclines! Britains longest continuous climb is not too far from me & its included in the TDF next year.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I like your work, @classic33! :smile: I found that response from Omar Khalifa very encouraging, as it gives more insight into his thinking. Thanks for that. Was it an email to you, or from a web site?

classic33

Leg End Member
@victor
Out of curiosity, are you in any way connected with the ACP?
If you are, any ideas as regards what to include in our manifesto?
We get that drawn up & the first three positions filled, we can upon payment register the party.
The ACP have registered the party, but now need to meet a number, membership wise, before being allowed to stand in the elections. We'd not face such a barrier.

Top Bottom