Australian Cyclists Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Email was a response received last night, our time, in response to one I'd sent to them(ACP) via the contact address given on their site. He's offerred to keep his eyes on what we're doing & help if he's able.

icycle ivote

Email was a response received last night, our time, in response to one I'd sent to them(ACP) via the contact address given on their site. He's offerred to keep his eyes on what we're doing & help if he's able.
Hi, just checking in briefly... thanks for inviting me along! My email may have sounded like we had a lot of answers but we are just learning the ropes like all of you and getting up to speed on how things really work...

icycle ivote

The idealism vs pragmatism balance is what we heard over and over again as what undermined smaller parties and caused them to splinter and fail... it can be really, really hard to let go of certain principles that many hold dear but may be shackles on electoral success. We had to sort that out very candidly with the organising committee and I think there will be some uneasy squirming and line drawing discussions in front of us yet... not a ride suitable for everyone.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@victor
Out of curiosity, are you in any way connected with the ACP?
If you are, any ideas as regards what to include in our manifesto?
We get that drawn up & the first three positions filled, we can upon payment register the party.
The ACP have registered the party, but now need to meet a number, membership wise, before being allowed to stand in the elections. We'd not face such a barrier.
No connection, other than the fact that I've signed up to join them. I'm not the politicking type, and public speaking of any kind scares me, but I'm happy to support the party, even as a paying member when the party gets around to sorting that detail out. No particularly useful ideas, either, sorry :smile:.

classic33

Leg End Member
No connection, other than the fact that I've signed up to join them. I'm not the politicking type, and public speaking of any kind scares me, but I'm happy to support the party, even as a paying member when the party gets around to sorting that detail out. No particularly useful ideas, either, sorry :smile:.
It was simply because you pointed them out & the fact that you live "down under" in Austrailia, that made me ask that question.
I've stood at local level for a number of years,so I'm quite at home with filling & filing the paperwork required for elections.
If we are looking at taking this issue to a national level then I'd need to know who is actually in & who is in just to disrupt it, before it gets a chance to get started.
We have under the regulations,a manifesto to produce before were able to file the registraion papers, as well as finding the three officers mentioned earlier. Then we can set to and start working on what we actually hope to achieve as a party across the country. So on that basis any imput by people on here would be welcome.
If they feel like standing in the Local Elections in May, as Independents, I'm willing to help them with the paperwork.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I need some critical information first: If I were to be elected could I claim allowances for a second bike? And could I rent out my main bike to my best mate?

GC

classic33

Leg End Member
I need some critical information first: If I were to be elected could I claim allowances for a second bike? And could I rent out my main bike to my best mate?

GC
You can claim the allowances incurred during the election & after, if elected, you claim as a car user would. What Ward in Glasgow do I put you down for?

classic33

Leg End Member
Cannae!!! Told you I am a foreigner!
Anyhow, want to do press and pr :biggrin:
Hows the press campaign going/coming?

classic33

Leg End Member
We do really, transport is a devolved issue.
Is this you putting your name forward for the May Elections next year?

Is it as devolved as you think though? Regional variations will always occur, but the problems faced by us as cyclists will nearly always be the same where ever we live/cycle.
IF we were to get it up & running then two major issues could be brought into play. These being the fuel duty levy on petrol/diesel & the ever popular "Road Tax". On the latter we may be able to disprove once & for all that only money raised in this way is ever used to fund the road network, whilst at the same time getting improvements made to the roads themselves. Improvements that benefit all who use them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom