Australian Cyclists Party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given the increase in the number of cyclists killed within the last two weeks & the increase in coverage in the media, over those incidents. Worded that way because in some cases arrests have been made.
How many on here would be willing to stand in the local elections in May as members of a cyclists party?
We can go on about how little is being done, with those elected to represent us, doing their best to ignore us, or we can take the fight to them & make them listen!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You need money and time to be a politician, Classic.
We should also agree on basic issues: on reading this forum it seems we have scattered agenda.

classic33

Leg End Member
You need money and time to be a politician, Classic.
We should also agree on basic issues: on reading this forum it seems we have scattered agenda.
And what about standing just to make the point. That costs nothing, other than a bit of time form filling.

Pat "5mph"

And what about standing just to make the point. That costs nothing, other than a bit of time form filling.
You would need some sort of PR campaign to make the electorate aware of your existence.
Which would take time and money.

classic33

Leg End Member
You would need some sort of PR campaign to make the electorate aware of your existence.
Which would take time and money.
I've stood in the local elections, spending my own money & seldom taking it over the £100 mark. All of which can be claimed back after the election.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you get elected?
No, but should that stop me trying. MP is wary of me, when it comes to local issues as are the local council. The fact that I didn't get in shouldn't come down to money as there is a cap on spending.
The fact remains that I am treated as a threat to their election hopes.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Given the increase in the number of cyclists killed within the last two weeks & the increase in coverage in the media, over those incidents. Worded that way because in some cases arrests have been made.
How many on here would be willing to stand in the local elections in May as members of a cyclists party?
We can go on about how little is being done, with those elected to represent us, doing their best to ignore us, or we can take the fight to them & make them listen!
Good luck with that, @classic33 :smile:. I probably couldn't join you on this, not being a UK resident, but I'll be interested to see how it goes! Meanwhile, in Australia, the ACP has just reached its required numbers for registering itself as a political party, so that's the first hurdle jumped.

Pat "5mph"

No, but should that stop me trying. MP is wary of me, when it comes to local issues as are the local council. The fact that I didn't get in shouldn't come down to money as there is a cap on spending.
The fact remains that I am treated as a threat to their election hopes.
Shouldn't is an ephemeral word :smile:
You never got in because: your agenda was not interesting/appealing to the electorate and/or not enough people knew about it.
Try again with a bigger PR budget.

classic33

Leg End Member
Good luck with that, @classic33 :smile:. I probably couldn't join you on this, not being a UK resident, but I'll be interested to see how it goes! Meanwhile, in Australia, the ACP has just reached its required numbers for registering itself as a political party, so that's the first hurdle jumped.
We don't have a minimum number of members before registering.

Shouldn't is an ephemeral word :smile:
You never got in because: your agenda was not interesting/appealing to the electorate and/or not enough people knew about it.
Try again with a bigger PR budget.
I responded to one of the largest complaints that people have at election tines. That being the amount of election material people were getting shoved through their letter boxes.
As you volunteered for the Press Agent & PR, wouldn't you cover that part?

Top Bottom