Autumn 2017 Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
As the budget is a big event that impacts most all of us, if you'd like to discuss the details of the budget and how it might affect you please use this thread.

If you want talk about budgets and the economy in broader terms of party politics, please visit the thread in the politics forum.

Many thanks,
Shaun

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'm prepared to give this another go for those who want to discuss it, but please take any party political debate over to the other forum.

Thanks,
Shaun

U

User482

According to the OBR, I will benefit personally from this budget, because the stamp duty cut will benefit home owners and not first time buyers.

U

User482

wwooooaaaaahhhh there. Pleeaaassseeee. What did you think of Phillip Hammond's haircut?
It was lovely. And his new suit really flattered his curves.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Stated they will enforce income tax where businesses are registered in a different jurisdiction, estimated at 200 million. It is what I thought I heard, doesn't sound right to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And nothing for cyclists or pedestrians - just more for motorists ....
It's worse than that - it's actively harmful to cycling and walking: the April 2018 fuel duty rise has been scrapped, while VED is being increased (very slightly, for some) instead - that's the opposite of what many experts think needs to happen to help get a grip on pollution, which is for use to be taxed more heavily than mere ownership.

To try to deflect that, £220m of the proceeds will be put into an sarcastically-named "clean air fund" - and that's about half what they're putting into electric car filling stations. :wacko:

Then there's the blind dash towards driverless cars and it's debatable whether that helps or hurts cycling. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42040856

There's plenty of transport funding but it looks like none of it has to be spent on cycling and it all seems to be going to a few areas that mostly didn't vote for this government in 2017: £1.7bn for English city regions, £2bn for Scotland, £1.2bn for Wales and £650m for Northern Ireland. English towns and rural areas get naff-all again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom