Average commute speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Sorry if this subject's been raised before, but an article in this morning's Metro suggests the average commute speed by public transport is between 6.7-10.9mph. My guess is it must be a similar speed by car.

Dunno know about the rest of us, but my commute by bike is between 17-18mph average.

Need I say more?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
My average is between 12 and 14. Too many traffic lights and lots of traffic makes me go slower :sad:

If your hitting 18mph average through central London then you are either, braking many traffic laws. Live and work on or near a fast road with little traffic lights. Or your not talking about a true average but a moving average.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mine is usually between 14-15mph. Like Gaz.. I have many traffic lights, junctions and most days, backed up traffic to deal with.

16.5-17.5mph for me, helped by the rural section of my commute.

When traffic is heavy (not unusual) I am pretty sure I make it to work quicker on the bike than in the car. It would take significantly longer still for me to take public transport. :ohmy:

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
My average is between 12 and 14. Too many traffic lights and lots of traffic makes me go slower :sad:

If your hitting 18mph average through central London then you are either, braking many traffic laws. Live and work on or near a fast road with little traffic lights. Or your not talking about a true average but a moving average.
It's legit, honest! I'm fortunate enough to use some quiet residential streets that are gated to motor vehicles at one end, so that it's not a rat run. Other roads I use are quite fast anyway. Oh, and I DON'T RLJ!!!

Don't know in old numbers, but I do my 20km commute in an hour. And the moving average is higher, of course. This morning was quite quick, at 24.6kph. Rough conversion gives that as 15.3mph. Door to door average is then about 12.5mph

Trying to drive to work would be completely pointless.

jimboalee

I give myself an hour and fifteen to cover 14 miles.

What many commute cyclist forget is to add to their journey the time it takes to change both tubes on the roadside.

If I'm approaching my workplace in reasonable time without having mishap, I slow down to cool off.

I normally average 14.5 ish.

potsy

Rambler
For me it's 15 mins in car-9ish miles out of rush hour.
Bike is 35-45 mins I still prefer the bike though.
My moving average is usually 13-14mph would like to be faster,need to work harder.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Mine is anywhere from 13mph upto 16mph all depends on the wind, I am not even on a road bike, well any bike for the moment :sad:

potsy

Rambler
I give myself an hour and fifteen to cover 14 miles.

What many commute cyclist forget is to add to their journey the time it takes to change both tubes on the roadside.

If I'm approaching my workplace in reasonable time without having mishap, I slow down to cool off.

I normally average 14.5 ish.

I had a day where I got a puncture after 3 miles,no problem tube out new one in.Still time to get to work with 10 mins to spare.
3 miles later another one,different tyre as well,ended up being 5 mins late.
I now aim to get to work 30mins early just in case,also gives a decent amount of time to cool down,have a cuppa etc.
Same day on way home another one half way in,pouring down too.That night the tyres were binned and some decent ones ordered.

I'm lucky in a way, that being late isn't a problem (if I was worried I could just leave 5-10 minutes later). As it happens I get to work 10-20 minutes early each day - so they can stuff moaning that I am 5 minutes late. (And yes, I do actually start my work when I sit down regardless :tongue:).

Sorry if this subject's been raised before, but an article in this morning's Metro suggests the average commute speed by public transport is between 6.7-10.9mph. My guess is it must be a similar speed by car.

Dunno know about the rest of us, but my commute by bike is between 17-18mph average.

Need I say more?

18-19 heading for 20s over a 10mile+ commute.

You don't mention your distance

ACS

Legendary Member
Not having been issued at birth with the hill climbing or the fast gene my commute is 14.5 - 15mph with no traffic lights, ped crossing or junctions.:sad:

Guess I need to up my game a bit.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Coming into central London, driving isn't an option - the costs are prohibitive, and it would take an age. So it's basically public transport - c.40-45 mins, £120/month v bike - 25 minutes, c. £5/month (tyres, brake blocks, batteries). Average speed? Don't know. It's about 7-8 miles and 25 minutes - the maths is beyond me. It's a lot more fun than the tube too. the only thing I miss is reading - I used to read a lot more. But overall it's a no-brainer. 

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm pretty happy with my average of 20km/h (12 and a bit mph), but I've made a decision to go a more pleasant but slower route through a park.

My route is just under 10k and usually takes me 25-30 mins.
As it happens taking the car would usually be about 5 mins quicker, but would sometimes be slower, and in any case is more stressful.

Hopefully when I get a new lighter, faster bike next year I can get it down to 20 mins would be consistently faster than driving.

monkeypony

13.5 mile commute - 20mph average. Which is actually a higher average than Mrs Monkeypony who does the same journey in a car 30 minutes later, which always makes me feel smug :biggrin:

Top Bottom