Average commute speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1288090906' post='1445988']
Now hang on just a minute! Just 'cos you 'wouldn't dare', doesn't mean others are necessarily being reckless. I go at a speed which makes strong men weep and maidens swoon, but I don't 'rely on others doing nothing wrong'. On the contrary, I take it as read that everyone around me is a potential idiot/psycopath, and ride accordingly. Nor am I 'exercising macho issues', whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. I just enjoy going fast. As long as I do it safely, what's it to you? Enjoy your TTs - but spare me the snarky comments, eh?
[/quote]
Can you tell me the difference between you passing speedily with insufficient clearance and a motorist? Can you tell me why riding at a speed in which you cannot stop or swerve safely if a kid runs out between two cars is not reckless?

That's the sort of thing I was referring to. Maybe you do things different but if you don't see that all too often on London commutes then you should not be cycling at any speed. As long as people ride safely I offer no criticism. But excessive speed and safety are incompatible. Nothing snarky there surely?

scouserinlondon

On my London commute I find school holidays much better. Today's average was 14.2 mph on my hybrid. Usually in term time it's nearer 13.5 mph which is respectable for the traffic & my fitness level.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my London commute I find school holidays much better. Today's average was 14.2 mph on my hybrid. Usually in term time it's nearer 13.5 mph which is respectable for the traffic & my fitness level.

Indeed, part of my commute through Bormley is usually snarled up with motons.. this week, nice and clear

scouserinlondon

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1288089343' post='1445957']
Coming into central London, driving isn't an option - the costs are prohibitive, and it would take an age. So it's basically public transport - c.40-45 mins, £120/month v bike - 25 minutes, c. £5/month (tyres, brake blocks, batteries). Average speed? Don't know. It's about 7-8 miles and 25 minutes - the maths is beyond me. It's a lot more fun than the tube too. the only thing I miss is reading - I used to read a lot more. But overall it's a no-brainer.
[/quote]

Agree with this. I also find cycling more predictable. The fairy has been a few times and there's the odd crash or incidents which slow me down, but most of the time I knw my 7 mile commute will take me about half an hour. The train can be anything from 40 mins to 1.5 hours.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Can you tell me the difference between you passing speedily with insufficient clearance and a motorist? Can you tell me why riding at a speed in which you cannot stop or swerve safely if a kid runs out between two cars is not reckless?

That's the sort of thing I was referring to. Maybe you do things different but if you don't see that all too often on London commutes then you should not be cycling at any speed. As long as people ride safely I offer no criticism. But excessive speed and safety are incompatible. Nothing snarky there surely?
But 'excessive' begs the question, does it not? 

I do see idiots doing idiotic things, but given the hour-ish I spend on London roads pretty much every working day of the year, remarkably seldom, all things considered. I see lots of people cycling very fast, but the vast majority of them know exactly what they are doing and are doing it entirely safely. 

And yes, I do thinks it's snarky to start throwing around comments about, eg, macho posturing, and tarring a whole community with one thick 'n gungy brush.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Door to door car commute - 40 mins

Door to door cycle commute - 1 hr.

But the cycle commutes saves me 2 hours of gym, so I'm 1hr 20 mins better off each day.

Agree with the OP, it's madness when I see folk sitting in their cars and I whizz past.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh dear, when I put the OP in, it was never intended to be a 'let's compare our averages' thread.

It was meant to be more a 'how silly you are not to commute by bike' thread!

Too late. I think you should have put that in the title!!!! World War 3 is probably only days away, get the popcorn in..... :whistle:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Threads are like clockwork mice; all you can do is wind 'em up and put 'em down - you never know where they're going to go.

StuartG

slower but further
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1288099394' post='1446184']And yes, I do thinks it's snarky to start throwing around comments about, eg, macho posturing, and tarring a whole community with one thick 'n gungy brush.[/quote]
I see - what better word would you suggest to describe cyclists whose speed shows no consideration for other road users?
And is this 'community' not to be criticised?
Why do you defend them?

I did forget to put in the comparison.

For my commute (1hr door to door by bike), the public transport option takes about an hour as well. Slightly less if I take the folding bike. By car it is just too silly to even attempt.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I see - what better word would you suggest to describe cyclists whose speed shows no consideration for other road users?
And is this 'community' not to be criticised?
Why do you defend them?
Tell me about it, all these slow cyclists taking up te road space and forcing the rest of us to overtake. Have they never thought about the people trying to get to their destination on time!

Seriously, your moaning over the fact that some people are faster than you? :laugh:

When commuting to Southampton I was doing 17 rolling average along the A27. I'm not sure what my true average was, I didn't check the time I got to the bike shed and it is quite a walk from there to the changing room. I suppose it was taking me an hour and a half to do 25 miles, including the walk up to the department.

When I'm at uni it takes as long as it takes to get there, it's only 3 miles but if I'm up early it can take all morning as I'll go clockwise aroud Portsea island instead of straight down the main road to the centre of town.

JoysOfSight

14.4mph this morning, moving average 17mph. But that is only 5 miles, and mainly downhill!

On my usual commute there's an average of 200m between lights, so it's never going to be particularly nippy.

Matty

Sorry if this subject's been raised before, but an article in this morning's Metro suggests the average commute speed by public transport is between 6.7-10.9mph. My guess is it must be a similar speed by car.

Dunno know about the rest of us, but my commute by bike is between 17-18mph average.

Need I say more?

6.7 - not far off walking pace!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I do over 30mph average from my house to the ferry...

...because it's not much more than 1/2 mile and if I don't sprint the exercise value is zero!

Top Bottom