Average commute speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Door to door car commute - 40 mins

Door to door cycle commute - 1 hr.

But the cycle commutes saves me 2 hours of gym, so I'm 1hr 20 mins better off each day.

Agree with the OP, it's madness when I see folk sitting in their cars and I whizz past.

And it's "free".
Though you don't include your time to get changed/prepared at work etc

Me...
Drive 15-30 minutes (highly variable)
Cycle 30-35 minutes (+10 getting ready, faster in a rush)

Quicker in the car, but would need to leave earlier to make sure I arrive on time (even earlier if its an important appoinment etc).

StuartG

slower but further
Don't forget we are not comparing like with like.

Cycle commuting time is not that variable. Wind is seldom a major issue in-city which makes a puncture the only event likely to cause a major delay. And if you choose the right Kevlar jobbie and look after them - that is a rare event.

Whereas public transport service interruptions are a major headache (not to mention strikes). An hour's bus journey can often involve a 45 minute wait. Roadworks, traffic light failures, gridlock can stop the car. Bikes continue to filter through. So even if AVERAGE speeds are only a little faster the resultant bike commute time is a darned sight more dependable.

But it blows all those long rehearsed Reginald Perrin 'late for work' excuses
sad.gif

OP
OP
CharlieB

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
17-18mph .................. Chesham is surrounded by major hills on all sides so I doubt you'd be climbing them at anywhere near 12mph. White Lion Hill is pretty steep maybe climb at 8mph? And then cycling around the town to maintain your 18 mph average you must take some monumental risks. I don't believe you cycle anywhere near an averge of 17-18mph. Probably around the 12-14mph mark. What bike are you riding, Honda Fireblade ....... ?

I am in the flat Fens. When I rode everyday my average was about 19mph on a commuting hybrid bike with panniers. But to obtain this average of 19mph one has to ride much of the time at a speed of 24-25 mph to make up for the times when you are starting off or riding at speed considerably less than 19mph. If I rode around Chesham and environs I would expect my average to drop to about 14-15mph or even less. FYI I commuted 25-30 miles for many decades.
Steady on, Crankarm, I'm not commuting all the way in or from Chesham most days!
It's an 11m Harrow-Regent's Park stretch, usually.

…as for White Hill - I give up trying about halfway up.

jimboalee

And it's "free".
Though you don't include your time to get changed/prepared at work etc

Me...
Drive 15-30 minutes (highly variable)
Cycle 30-35 minutes (+10 getting ready, faster in a rush)

Quicker in the car, but would need to leave earlier to make sure I arrive on time (even earlier if its an important appoinment etc).

Nothing is 'Free'.

What you are doing by cycling is extending your life expectancy. When those days come, you will still be paying the services bills on your cottage by the sea and still buying food to enjoy on the patio.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
On an average day, I can drive into work more quickly than I can cycle. I have to drive across Birmingham City Centre, so its very much an urban commute rather than a fast rural one.

So, further cycling justification needed.

Well, on a bad day my drive can take longer than cycling. So I need to leave home at the same time, whether riding or driving (takes a bit longer to get myself sorted and cool down when cycling), Cycling is barely affected by traffic, and only 3-4 minutes longer with a tasty headwind.

Still marginal though.

OK, on top of driving I need to add making-lunch time. When I cycle I can justify a large, rather unhealthy lunch down at the canteen. When driving, I have to make some healthy and less filling sandwiches. That's 5 minutes per day to add.
Furthermore, I can add Gym time to the car commute. OK, I hate gyms, but there would be a necessity to do something to keep fit with a sedentary job and a drive into work. So if I add the time taken to visit a gym (including changing, packing rucksack, but not showering, as I do that when cycling) and aggregate it over my weekly commute, I can finally bring the average speed whilst driving down below my cycling time.

OK, cycling wins hands down now. And that's before I add time at the petrol station putting fuel in, checking tire pressures, etc.

Nothing is 'Free'.

What you are doing by cycling is extending your life expectancy. When those days come, you will still be paying the services bills on your cottage by the sea and still buying food to enjoy on the patio.

You know what I meant.

Unless this is sarcasm.

You're hardly going to save money if you're dead.

jimboalee

You know what I meant.

Unless this is sarcasm.

You're hardly going to save money if you're dead.

No its not sarcasm.

A person who does not exercise and drives everywhere could be paying double. Once for the transport and second by sacrificing a long and happy retirement.
The fitness cyclist person is not paying immediatley for his/her transport but is penalised by an extended lifetime of paying out for 'living requirements'.

My view is I will live until I have spent every penny. My sons know this and are not planning their future based on any inheritance.

No its not sarcasm.

A person who does not exercise and drives everywhere could be paying double. Once for the transport and second by sacrificing a long and happy retirement.
The fitness cyclist person is not paying immediatley for his/her transport but is penalised by an extended lifetime of paying out for 'living requirements'.

My view is I will live until I have spent every penny. My sons know this and are not planning their future based on any inheritance.

Yea well you still got what I meant and there was no point going on with crap like this against what I said.

jimboalee

What was this thread about? Ah, yes, 9 mph bus speeds in London.

I'm half expecting Charlie to come back and tell us its been blamed on Boris Bikes.

mgarl10024

Über Member
I've only been commuting since March (around 6-7 miles on my hybrid bike, mainly using cycle routes), and haven't really been focussing on personal bests. However, I have kept a log of speeds etc. to see if there's an improvement.
I've been happy with the improving curve, but recently have noticed a drop-off - I'm wondering if the Winter is having an effect as it seemed to coincide with the temperatures and light levels dropping.
[graph attached]

With regards to time, cycling for me is more expensive. I've often thought of the rare days of bringing in the car 'oh this is so easy'. Assuming you get in early (like me at around 745), you don't have parking issues and the traffic is quite light.
Car: 20mins each way - total around 40 mins. Let's say 50mins to be generous.
Cycling: 35mins each way. Locking/Unlocking bike: 5mins. 20mins extra shower (at work). Packing bags in morning (extra clothing, etc) 10mins. Getting changed at work to go home - 10mins. Weekly half hour of bike maintenance (5mins per day). Total: 120mins. Over double.
It's the health benefits that I'm mainly chasing, and the fun and challenge of keeping it going.

MG

Attachments

• average speed to work 271010.GIF
    average speed to work 271010.GIF
    14.4 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom