Average commute speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My best over my 17 mile commute (one way) was 20.49 mph
biggrin.gif

but its normally 17-18 over the total 34 miles

jimboalee

Excessive speed on a bicycle. Definition.

Fall over sideways and you break one or more of your bones.

A Vauxhall Astra driver helped me discover that for me it is 21 mph.

400bhp

Guru
Door to door car commute - 40 mins

Door to door cycle commute - 1 hr.

But the cycle commutes saves me 2 hours of gym, so I'm 1hr 20 mins better off each day.

Agree with the OP, it's madness when I see folk sitting in their cars and I whizz past.

That's kind of the way I look at it.

Get out of bed @ 6:30, cycle to work, shower and sat at my desk at 8.

vs

Get out of bed @6:40, drive to tram stop & get the tram. Usually at my desk at 8.

Variance of commute times by other means than bike is far higher.

Efficiency ratio (avg commute time / variance of commute time) much higher by bike. :biggrin:

davefb

Guru
i need to get fitter :smile:.

i can only manage a best of about 11mph for my 13miles to ( normally 10 coming home :sad: ). tbh i'd be happy with 'under an hour' for the time..

traffic does make it slower... noticably.

by car, it would be about 30mins , so 26mph... however some lunatics (planners) seem to have decided to reduce traffic flow along a dual carraigeway into manchester )a6 corridor into salford) , with the designated aim of moving the cars 'elsewhere',,, since the 'elsewhere' isnt upgraded OR even applicable to me in any way(ends up wrong side of town via regent road),,, i've not found a nice 'new route' yet (or anyone else) so its taking another 15mins... grr.

and it also messes up where i like to cycle,, not too bad on the morning, but on the evening it means 'fighting for road space' down a static two lane busy stretch(which i am NOT confident about ). they've even removed some of the bus lanes and the intention is to make it 'one lane + bus lane and some cycle lanes' ( i think)....

( by car, its 15min walk from car park to work, so it will be faster once i get up to speed ;) )

Current commute distance is 11.5 miles, along mostly rural roads with one short stretch of the A47. Normal time is between 38 and 44 minutes, with some summer wind-assisted times of 33-35 minutes. Average speeds anywhere between 16 and 20+ mph. In the car would be quicker but I'd still be a fat lardy git who was starting to wheeze with every breath!

Pompey Princess

Veteran
I am quite chuffed to read some of the average commute times cos I thought I was a fairly lame girly and actually it turns out that I'm not!! I cycle a Carrera Subway Ltd edition 2009 (girly short version) and don't have ultra skinny road tyres. I am usually laden down with 2 Ortlieb pannier bags full to the rafters with work stuff too so I feel quite smug about my commute time !!
:becool:

Average is 12 -14 mph and I do just over 7 miles in 30-32 minutes. I have done it in 26mins before but this was a very wind assisted time!!

Roadrunner78

I use cyclemeter GPS on my iPhone, it agrees with my computer. 16mph average most conditions, with blasts up to 27mph and the occasional 35mph. Slightly lower average when cycling into Scotland's headwinds.

Edit; and like this morning when I'm assisted by Scotland's tailwind I saw a steady 20mph+ all the way home :smile: .

Crankarm

Guru
Sorry if this subject's been raised before, but an article in this morning's Metro suggests the average commute speed by public transport is between 6.7-10.9mph. My guess is it must be a similar speed by car.

Dunno know about the rest of us, but my commute by bike is between 17-18mph average.

Need I say more?

17-18mph .................. Chesham is surrounded by major hills on all sides so I doubt you'd be climbing them at anywhere near 12mph. White Lion Hill is pretty steep maybe climb at 8mph? And then cycling around the town to maintain your 18 mph average you must take some monumental risks. I don't believe you cycle anywhere near an averge of 17-18mph. Probably around the 12-14mph mark. What bike are you riding, Honda Fireblade ....... ?

I am in the flat Fens. When I rode everyday my average was about 19mph on a commuting hybrid bike with panniers. But to obtain this average of 19mph one has to ride much of the time at a speed of 24-25 mph to make up for the times when you are starting off or riding at speed considerably less than 19mph. If I rode around Chesham and environs I would expect my average to drop to about 14-15mph or even less. FYI I commuted 25-30 miles for many decades.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My commute is 17 miles there and back lots of climbing. If i can do it in less than an hour I am happy. Finding it harder to do that as the winter closes in. The unlit country roads for part of it even with good lights do restrict speed a bit. It probably takes 10 mins more than in the car but a damn site more enjoyable and saves me a gym subscription that would never be used.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Oh dear, when I put the OP in, it was never intended to be a 'let's compare our averages' thread.

It was meant to be more a 'how silly you are not to commute by bike' thread!

Agreed but it's nice to see the times and speeds etc, my last commute was a 40 mile round trip, but very quiet, few junctions and only two sets of lights quite close together. Rolling and total time were usually within 30 seconds of each other, couldn't get to 10mph when I started doing it and 16.5mph was about as good as it got.

Point of this, unless traffic was exceptionally bad, I could never do it faster than in the car. Even if traffic was bad my car time would only have been the same as my best bike time.

Still no comparison, commuting by bike was vastly superior, though getting hooked on bikes made the anticipated financial benefits evaporate rather quickly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh dear, when I put the OP in, it was never intended to be a 'let's compare our averages' thread.

It was meant to be more a 'how silly you are not to commute by bike' thread!

Yesterday we were in the car and set off from some shops, down A38 into towards the centre with a cyclist immediately in front of us - we were laughing at his badger stripe up his light brown trousers and thinking that mudguards were worth it. We overtook him. Several miles later we turned off the A38 and a cyclist filtered by ... with the same badger stripe and it wasn't even prime commuting time - 4pm ish. But I guess most other motorists won't have made that same link.

As for average speeds - due to junctions, lights, hills and the inadequate cyclist on top of the bike I doubt my average is in double figures.

Top Bottom