Average commute speed…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
I used to cycle into central London in the days when it was rare to see another cyclist. No matter how slow it was faster than cars and buses (no bus lanes!).

Lately when I have done the route I am astounded by both the number and speed. A speed I wouldn't dare except on an open road. Many are relying on everybody else doing nothing wrong. I guess when a ped or motorist does err - then the blame is all down to them. I have to say that this class of cyclists is no better then the similar class of motorist that we (and they?) despair.

Indeed at certain junctions even I feel intimidated by the boy racers. It isn't a great encouragement to newbies trying to commute and already scared out of their minds by motorised traffic. But I don't know what can be done to encourage all road users to relax and co-operate rather than exercise their macho issues on a commute.

TTs are the place for that ...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I used to cycle into central London in the days when it was rare to see another cyclist. No matter how slow it was faster than cars and buses (no bus lanes!).

Lately when I have done the route I am astounded by both the number and speed. A speed I wouldn't dare except on an open road. Many are relying on everybody else doing nothing wrong. I guess when a ped or motorist does err - then the blame is all down to them. I have to say that this class of cyclists is no better then the similar class of motorist that we (and they?) despair.

Indeed at certain junctions even I feel intimidated by the boy racers. It isn't a great encouragement to newbies trying to commute and already scared out of their minds by motorised traffic. But I don't know what can be done to encourage all road users to relax and co-operate rather than exercise their macho issues on a commute.

TTs are the place for that ...

Now hang on just a minute! Just 'cos you 'wouldn't dare', doesn't mean others are necessarily being reckless. I go at a speed which makes strong men weep and maidens swoon, but I don't 'rely on others doing nothing wrong'. On the contrary, I take it as read that everyone around me is a potential idiot/psycopath, and ride accordingly. Nor am I 'exercising macho issues', whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. I just enjoy going fast. As long as I do it safely, what's it to you? Enjoy your TTs - but spare me the snarky comments, eh? 

I should add, my average (16.5-17.5mph) is a moving average. It takes me about 50-55 minutes to ride 11.7 miles. So actual average of between 13-14mph. I can't filter past queues pf traffic at 20mph! :biggrin:

jimboalee

There's this peculiar thing about working for someone and having a set start time.

If you are early, its YOUR choice.
If you are late, Its NOT YOUR choice.

I'm on Flexitime, so the earlier I start, the sooner I can depart. On days when I don't have a commute mishap, that's 15 mins in the bank for later in the week.

Just over 7.5 mile journey - time usually between 27-28 mins (depending on traffic lights). The target is a 20mph average (instead of the current 16-16.5 mph) but need to get much fitter before I'll get close to that. British Gas need to get those road works finished too:tongue:

jimboalee

There are four sets of traffic lights on my journey to work. Usually, they detect me and change.
Most mornings I don't have to stop and don't have to apply the brakes until I'm approaching the bike shed.

I can count nine places where brakes are required on the homeward trip in the afternoon.

I don't try for PBs. This encourages risk taking.

And also, my route takes me past the entrance to Warwick Castle. I have found several banknotes fluttering down the gutter. ( would have missed them if I was racing the traffic in 'Primary' :laugh: )

martint235

Dog on a bike
I average somewhere between 14mph (wet and dark) to 18mph (dry and sunny) over a 10 mile commute with London traffic and lights etc. I'm trying to persuade myself it's not all about speed and that I should take it easy but then someone goes past me in team kit and it's all over for another day.....

Hicky

Guru
I have a commute of roughly 12 miles, average 45 to 50 mins.
It is easier into Manchester from where I live hence I've done it quicker than 45mins, I am also on flexitime but some days have to be in for a certain time......I simply leave earlier and have a relaxing shower and cuppa at work.

I can use car or rail, both are 1hour door to door(ignoring half term for the car when traffic is lighter).

:thumbsup:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Semi rural commute, few junctions, 14-15 mph.

I usually ride fixed and I like to trundle along at 60 rpm. Just feels right.

zigzag

Veteran
there are 27(!) traffic lights on my way to work which is just under 5 miles. so it takes me 25-30mins, fastest was 15mins at night. i count the time from closing house door and opening office door.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Anything bertween 12 and 18 depending on weather, wind, mood, traffic, time of day, time of year.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have 9 sets of lights on a 15.2 mile commute I allow 1 hour 5mins sometimes I am up to 3 minutes late but I have been ten minutes early once or thrice :-) I would say my most common time is just on or just under the hour.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Now I think thats not a bad time, neither fast nor slow, but I hardly ever see another bike and when I do the fecker is overtaking me!

Top Bottom