Average speed of your hybrid bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
My average is 12mph on a hybrid over the past couple of years, mainly because I commute through Leeds center and around 16mph on road bike.

Hip Priest

Veteran
City commutes tend to feature lots of junctions and heavy traffic. My commuting speed tends be between 12-14mph depending on those factors. If you want an indicator of your potential race speed, then you need to get out on the open road and put the hammer down.

If you're new to road cycling and want to compete, why not join a local club and take part in a few club TTs? You don't need to worry about how quick you are in relation to everyone else. Just enjoy it and do your best.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have no idea to be honest, as I know nothing about you. On the face of it though, you will need to up your game a bit (a lot) if you want to compete on tarmac.

It's do-able though. Almost anyone can improve if they are prepared to put the work in...
Wot e said.
After a bit of a google cat 2/3/4 races average about 23-24 mph

Wha

What work do I need to put in. Any advice would be useful? Thanks

The first thing you need to do is generally increase your aerobic fitness, by pushing yourself into the red on a regular basis.

MarkF

Guru
The first thing you need to do is generally increase your aerobic fitness, by pushing yourself into the red on a regular basis.

Living and commuting in West Yorkshire, I am rarely out of the red. My hybrid is shod with M+ 35 mm's, I'd guess my average speed is 18 mph, uphill......on the flat I can't tell, my eyes are streaming and time & space are warped rendering my computer useless.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 2863277, member: 259"]...on a road bike. :smile:[/quote]
Indeed .
I am no racer and i would be in the veteran class if i had time to train , i can hang onto the fast club run most of the way untill they put the hammer down at the end of a ride and my average can still be close to 21 mph .
The reverse is also true, commuting home on an icy route this morning my average was 14 mph but i was really taking it steasy because the roads were slick and i ware scared so there was no **** left :smile:

Mr_Grieve

Über Member
I think you're being very optimistic hoping to compete this year. I've been cycling for a similar time with a similar average speed on a Spesh Crosstrail with 38 tyres. There's no way I'd consider competing but then again I 'm a fat forty-something bloke; you may be younger with more scope for improvement.

I've just ordered my first road bike in 30 years and have entered a couple of sportives (and will likely enter more). As everyone will tell you, these are not races but are usually timed so you can set yourself targets (mine are just to complete them). Maybe this would be something you'd want to consider.

Another suggestion, if you have an iphone or android phone, is to try Strava. You'll be able to compare your times over segments and find out where you are in the pecking order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom