Average Speed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I feel the same sometimes (Especially seeing some averages on here!) but there is always someone faster than you so really the only person you should compete against is yourself - no-one else really matters. Regards, Mark
It does get a bit frustrating, but you are correct. I should be grateful that I am at least making a little bit of progress albeit at a much slower rate than some on here. When I started last August I often averaged not much more than 11mph. At least now it is usually between 13 and just over 14 on a good day :laugh: I am getting decent miles in so maybe if I can keep it going I will see a little bit more improvement yet.

ianwoodi

Is that 17.5mph on the flat or around hills. I average 17mph around hills on the flat i think i could average 20mph plus not much chance of i flat run around buxton derbyshire

Andrew_P

In between here and there
It does get a bit frustrating, but you are correct. I should be grateful that I am at least making a little bit of progress albeit at a much slower rate than some on here. When I started last August I often averaged not much more than 11mph. At least now it is usually between 13 and just over 14 on a good day :laugh: I am getting decent miles in so maybe if I can keep it going I will see a little bit more improvement yet.
Going by the ticker you have the miles going from 11mph to 14mph in 8 months is a 20%+ increase which is huge. I would say your progress is above average.

Nebulous

Guru
I started 2 and a half years ago as part of a weight loss plan. I was 48 years old, had done no competitive sport in my life, was far too heavy and took very little exercise. Yet for some reason I wasn't desperately unfit. I see some people saying they were struggling in the beginning to do a mile. I started with 10s and built it up to 30 within the first month.

I showed steady progress up until December last year and then mainly because of bad weather and partly because of a run of punctures I backed off quite a bit and my fitness/ speed dropped.I'm back with a vengeance in the last month and its picking up again now but having my first real setback was disheartening.There will doubtless come a point where the hard work and slow progress make me wake up to the fact I'll never enter the Tour de France, and question whether it is worth it, but I want to delay that as long as possible.

I think its very much about how much you want it. I've had to work at it like nothing I've ever done in my life before. It also has to fit into the rest of my life. I've a pretty busy job, with some irregular hours. I've a family who are well on their way to growing up but still need a fair bit of time, and bizarrely and slightly reluctantly we got a dog last year. Its amazing how much of a hole he can make in cycling time.

People cycle for different reasons. Speed is very high up my list. Never having done it before I want to test myself against others. 20 mph is a magic number for me. Hitting 20 on the flat for the first time, averaging 20 for a mile and then doing the same for 5 miles were all significant milestones.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Going by the ticker you have the miles going from 11mph to 14mph in 8 months is a 20%+ increase which is huge. I would say your progress is above average.
Thanks Loco. Your comments must have given me a bit of inspiration. My legs were feeling a bit tired and heavy this morning so decided to just do one of my shorter loops of around 23 miles but I worked really hard and ended up with a 15mph average so I am well chuffed with that.

Must admit, it was very calm so no wind to bother me. I am liable to go out tomorrow and be back down to 13mph again but at least I now know the potential to get a bit better is there. :smile:
http://app.strava.com/activities/54797855

MaxInc

Your comments must have given me a bit of inspiration. My legs were feeling a bit tired and heavy this morning so decided to just do one of my shorter loops of around 23 miles but I worked really hard and ended up with a 15mph average so I am well chuffed

This is the kind of performange I'm yet to achieve :smile: In honesty, it is not the speed but your determination than I find very inspiring and I think that's a lot more powerful feeling. Well done!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
This is the kind of performange I'm yet to achieve :smile: In honesty, it is not the speed but your determination than I find very inspiring and I think that's a lot more powerful feeling. Well done!
Thanks very much :blush: It is the odd good day when things seem to feel right that keep most of us motivated I think. Makes up for the days when I feel like I am cycling through treacle :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is that 17.5mph on the flat or around hills. I average 17mph around hills on the flat i think i could average 20mph plus not much chance of i flat run around buxton derbyshire
Went up a killer hill that started at a ford then went over a park/farm area on single track road that came out at tissington hall last sunday, if anyone can average 17/18 up that they have been using pharmstrongs medication practises.

ianwoodi

Hooked up with strava i am 8th out of 600 people on one segment well pleased but i did have the wind behined me will try and get first when wind is around 25mph that should push another 5mph for first:becool:

Top Bottom