Average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kurt

Just wondering what everybodies average speeds were and what type of riding you're all doing. I've just fitted one of those little computer doodahs and now I'm obsessed with the numbers. My average speed for my commute (12 miles from Dartford, through Old Bexley, Blackfen, Welling, over Shooters Hill and down into Woolwich) is 14mph for a return journey, on a tad over 70 GI fixed. Just wondered if it's good or bad really as a guide to thinking about joining a club and getting out on a run now and then. Thanks

Peace

Kurt

Andy Pandy

My average speed never seems to change on my cheap Tesco's computer - 14 mph. I am not sure how it calculates the average, and whether it includes time sitting at traffic lights etc. I have tried to up my cruising speed on the flat to 20mph on 48/17 gearing.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I average about 15-16mph on my fixed over a 15mile commute. Quite hilly where as i`ve averaged 18.5mph for a 13mile commute on a flattish road.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Yes, we have had this before. However, you are on the fixed gear section, which when i look back, i cannot see the post.
Only got my fixed today, dont think the average speed will be too high, only got 65GI, might be 64GI, cant remember. Its hilly around here though so i need it low-ish. No bike computer on it though, cant really be bothered with one at the moment on there.

OP
OP
K

Kurt

numbnuts said:
yawn.....didn't we have this last week, it's getting as bad as helmets

Sorry mate, didn't mean to bore you. Still you made the effort to look so thanks.

RedBike

Andy Pandy said:
My average speed never seems to change on my cheap Tesco's computer - 14 mph. I am not sure how it calculates the average,

It will simply divide the distance you've traveled by the time you've been riding.

The distance will more than likely be the overall distance ( X,000 miles)
The time will be your overall riding time (X months). This is why riding at say 20mph for an hour or so (a relatively short period of time) doesn't change your average speed.

D

Deleted member 1258

Using a Pearson for my ride to work, 12 and half mile round trip, using 48-18 fixed at an average of about 15mph, earlier this year when I was having health problems it dropped to between 10 & 12mph, average is about the same when I ride gears.

dudi

no idea, haven't got a computer. ;)

My commuting average is pretty dismal. What would be nice is a computer that knows to switch off when I get to the shared path pedestriany bits and the bits where I'm pootling along behind people. Oh and pushing the bike into the bike shed.

Fixedwheelnut

Mine always seems to depend on what bike and size gear I am riding;

Ron Cooper 67" gear 15mph
Lambert 72/76" gear 18mph
Last week on my Graham Weigh 83" gear 19-20mph

Thats over 5.5miles Bexleyheath, Old Bexley, Ruxley, I'm sure Shooters Hill would bring those numbers tumbling down though :biggrin:

JoeT

I have a hilly commute from Winchester to Portsmouth on a Pearson Touche (48x19), 42 miles round trip. The best average I've managed is 17.2 mph, normally an mph slower than this though. My bike computer stops when I stop at lights, so it's only averaging pedaling time.

- Joe

Top Bottom