Axle mount rear mechs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Are they still available? I mean the kind of mount pictured below. If not, what on earth do people do when they need to replace the rear mech on a bike with this kind of fitting?

4a991650b9a34_51298n.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member

bauldbairn

I clicked on your pic to enlarge it and up came an ad for that XUNDAH rear derailler.:rolleyes:

Available from eCrater for $7.95 aparantly? :smile:

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks Tyred. But for some reason the link makes my browser go bananas. Is "axle mount" the right term? I'll have a trawl round on Ebay but I'm not sure if I'm using the right search terms. Ideally I'd like an 8-speed one...

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
tyred said:
Search ebay for Shimano SIS. What type of gear shifters? If it's friction shifters, virtually anything will work.

They're indexed 8-speed shifters. I could find different ones but I happen to have them and an 8-speed cassette, and am trying to sort out a friend's knackered bike as cheaply as possible. I wonder if the Tourney 6/7-speed rear mechs will work OK with the 8-speed stuff? They seem to have a wide range...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
theclaud said:
They're indexed 8-speed shifters. I could find different ones but I happen to have them and an 8-speed cassette, and am trying to sort out a friend's knackered bike as cheaply as possible. I wonder if the Tourney 6/7-speed rear mechs will work OK with the 8-speed stuff? They seem to have a wide range...

Hmm, I suppose sprocket pitch and cable pull comes into it. Alternatively is there such a thing as an axle mounted mech hanger?....I will report back

theclaud said:

I have an axle mounted mech hanger somewhere in my bits box. Then you'll be able to fit any rear derailleur. PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Rhythm Thief said:
I have an axle mounted mech hanger somewhere in my bits box. Then you'll be able to fit any rear derailleur. PM me your address and I'll get it in the post.

Brilliant! Thanks RT!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Voila! (Note: you'll need sloping forward facing dropouts.)
Any Shimano mech should work with any Shimano shifter/cassette combination, as the leverage ratio is the same (apart from old Dura Ace). It's the amount of cable pulled by the shifter that's the key.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Great. Thank you all. RT is going to try and find his spare one for me, and if he draws a blank I'll get one from Landslide or Giles's links. Thanks all!

Top Bottom