Aylesbury Circular Ride - 10th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
yup, am just home via taxi as i can't walk in a straight line and i stink of perfume for some reason.. hehe! and beer of course! so am a defo no goer! i think the BIG white telephone might call me!

have fun one n all!

Danger: Elite athlete at work!
At the moment I'm on schedule and I'll be making my way across from Northwood, Chorleywood etc Adam. I'll call topcat or Clive should there be a hiccup...

Davy: Greasy bacon, eggs, fried bread, tea, coffee and a large dose of cognac - that'll be your recovery 'ride' this morning...:biggrin: I have this image in my mind of Davy on the dancefloor - John Travolta meets Gareth Chilcott, blurring the boundaries of style in a wrist shaking, finger pointing extravaganza!:laugh:

Bon match!

Ah! Now I know who gbs is, an Orienteer. For info, Katie's chain fell off. I donned a rubber glove and slipped it back on.
Everyone else had disappeared by then so we decided to have a medium length snog in the bushes for a while.
Then, as Katie wanted to get back for X Factor Dancing Strictly or something like that, we 'phoned steve to find out why peeps had deserted us...

England's Green and Pleasant Land was seen in it's splendour today - thank you for leading that one out Adam. I'll write more after my ablutions. (Unlucky :boxing:)

We need roll call / name badges. It's also a bit naff when people arrive late... :biggrin: :boxing:

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Well, well, what a lovely day's riding. I arrived at Tring at just after 9.30 when Clive turned up, and then slowly other people turned up, so by 10 am, there were 13, including William who thought he was going on someone else's ride but in fact that was next week, so Ian spotted him, and forced him to come along.

But someone was missing.

DSCF0140.jpg

Turns out Aperitif had had a tortuous journey, his GPS had gone on the blink and he'd got a puncture, so we agreed to meet him in Wendover.

Setting off from Tring, we were soon up onto the hills where it was initially a bit murky but we could see some blue patches appearing. After surviving the descent down Hale Lane we headed into Wendover, where we made an unscheduled coffee break stop.

DSCF0143.jpg

Bizarrely, the lady serving didn't seem as though she wanted our business. However, after a while, Martin arrived.

DSCF0144-1.jpg

He got a few cheers, but not as many as User10571 on last week's FNRttC. :biggrin:

Anyway, as we were a little behind schedule, I made a slight diversion, to avoid some rolling hills, and we were soon heading out of Wendover and out into the countryside. After another 10 miles or so, it was time for lunch at the Little Italy cafe in Haddenham, which went down very nicely. They also had special cyclists' chairs.

DSCF0147.jpg

I'd warned everyone that there were some hills in the second half, but they were worth it for some spectacular views.

DSCF0153.jpg

We also saw quite a few red kites soaring around, loitering for things to kill.

The hills eased off, and the miles rolled by so we got back to the station around 5 pm, although it turns out Katie's chain had come off, so she and Martin had missed the final turn, so I went back to find them.

DSCF0157-1.jpg

After all, I don't want to get a reputation for losing anyone!

With the journey there and back home, I've done just over 80 miles, in surprisingly warm weather.

Thanks everyone for coming along.

Rest of the photos here.

http://et.com/albums/a239/FlyingDodo/Aylesbury Circular Ride/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Adam,
great ride today in great weather and great company. A beautiful part of the world, some lovely views. 100 miles for the day. Sorry couldn't say goodbye at the station but food and beer was calling.

edit: Adam, your link doesn't work mate

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Thanks Adam for a great day out, more photos tomorrow.
zlakxx.jpg

So. I was on time, planned to perfection and.
Anyway, got myself down in the dips of the Chilterns, coasting downhill at 60kph and there was no reception for my telecommunication apparatus - which meant no 'phone call to the crew to tell them I would be a 'tad' (a large tad) late.
Topcat got through to me eventually, and I said that i was ggggepgmpmpr[r[fd mear Tring...blah blah - my Garmin developed purple jaundice and all the info became a violet band across the screen! Down another dip and pop! An iron age flint caused my inner tube to gasp it's last and bring me to a halt.
2eplyx1.jpg

No signal - "emergency calls only" - well, this was a sort of emergency (I could hear the women whingeing from a distance) so I texted Go.Go.Go.
(Well it's the only bit of that Welsh Town name I know....)
I headed out of Tring and thought of our very own mikee "iloveplanes"
zmbg5k.jpg

Eventually, after chinwagging with another rider en route, and heading for Aylesbury, turning around and asking yet another pair of women walking two little dogs (the place is full of them don't you know?) I stumbled upon Will, and Dave was shouting at me from over the road etc..! I have forgotten the name of the town where the group were.;) in Wendover.
Anyway, I asked them why they were all hanging around and "let's get on the road".
Great weather - ideal conditions and a somewhat familiar peloton. My apologies to those I couldn't chat to - your gain and my loss, I assure you.
Having stuffed all my residue from the flat tyre into my back pockets, I could only admire Clive's pockets - neat, tidy and ready for action - just like him and his bike.
2njk1v6.jpg

The irrepressible Ian was present - the Bromley Cyclist contingent was strong on this ride and there are no 'words worth' more than this picture:
2s773ab.jpg

I 'wondered' lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

So. We arrived at a first class eaterie called 'Little Italy' The grub was excellent, the decor spot on and it was a sublime choice by Adam 10/10. Forgot to take pics of the food which was a pity. Why the others sat indoors while we sat in the sun watching a red kite hovering and observing I'll not know. It-was-beautiful! By this time I was feeling like 40 winks but alas...

The obligatory group photo was taken by a nice woman who took pity on me. I had rehearsed a limp, let out a cry of 'oohh!' as I bent down to position the camera - that was enough for her to leap from her car and say "Would it help if I did that for you?"
I had put the camera down and was scratching my unmentionables by then so it was all a bit of a surprise. However, she did the necessary and took these photos too.
(Notice my 'reflection' in the photo :laugh:)
5ywb4m.jpg

Dave, Will,Keith, Adam, Katie, Jane, Moi...

xddsex.jpg

Steve, Jan, Ian, moi encore :hugs:, Clive,Adam,John,GBH:wub: gbs.

Please lets have some names.

A bit of climbing followed - nothing too serious, and it helped expand our knowledge of the Chilterns, Quainton, Waddesdon Manor and all sorts of
other quirky things...
2agp3dz.jpg

Saturday in Early Autumn...doesn't get much better than this!

b509ba.jpg

Assos Man - Dave / topcat...who is usually busy recording the day's events in his excellent fashion.

wk6b7l.jpg

Man and nature in harmony - Ian ready to roll...

As part of the instant history lesson, Adam showed us bonj's secret tunnel running from Sheffield train station to 'somewhere secret in the Chilterns'. It's no secret anymore bonjy! Adam wanted to get the lid back down quickly because of the imminent threat of an atomic bonj but was having trouble...
1813kk.jpg

whl6bc.jpg

In stepped the experienced Clive to lend a hand. Adam did all he could to make sure that Clive suffered no 'fallout'.
(It is actually a nuclear bunker. Providing that one has caught a train from Londinium, and then scampered up them bleedin' hills, one can climb down to immediate safety and run to Sheffield.)

Anyway, it was all very smooth, fast at times and picturesque - lovely!
2utls7d.jpg

These gardens were in a 'run of the mill' house. They were not open to the public - they were privet.
w9jyxj.jpg

The signeage was straightforward and easy to read...

2v8lcu1.jpg

There was even encouragement for me...

..and I got a train back with the others and managed to do a bit of outstanding work which was on my mind, so all in - a great day out. Sorry to keep you all waiting. (No I'm not - I just wrote that for fun.)

'Til next time eh? :smile:

orienteer

Name is Keith (on Moulton), not High Fen!

The impromptu coffee stop kept me going before lunch, but the lack of a tea stop afterwards was keenly felt by my legs - 30 miles with no proper nourishment, as in CAKE!

clivedb

Guru
Thanks for the company and the various accounts and photos. Most of all, thanks to Adam for arranging the ride and laying on the fine weather. It was a fun ride with some entertaining diversions. I thought I must have improved my hill climbing as the journey to Haddenham (apart from the initial climb) seemed more or less effortless until Adam told me we had missed out a hilly section to save time.

I took a few photos on the phone but they're not up to TC or Teef quality. Anyhow, here's the link:http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=200

picture.php

orienteer said:
Name is Keith (on Moulton), not High Fen!

The impromptu coffee stop kept me going before lunch, but the lack of a tea stop afterwards was keenly felt by my legs - 30 miles with no proper nourishment, as in CAKE!

Thanks Keith - great bike! Cake? Que? :biggrin:

The 'Moulton Mouseketeer' is waiting in the wings...:sad: (Deprivation / starvation being two attributes)

Top Bottom