B@stard bites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Last night, after riding home from work (and then abortive trips to Halfords and Wickes) I decided to remove some weeds from my lawn. I did this whilst still in cycling gear, including trainer liners on my feet.

I got bitten to buggery whilst I was working, mainly around the ankles just over the socks.

Now, despite my resisting the temptation to scratch, my ankles are swollen up like a b@stard and feel like I've had the close attentions of Tommy Smith (the dirty, ugly barsteward).

I've got the London 100 on Sunday.

I've taken 10ml of antihistamine and put hydrocortisone cream on the bites; anything I can do about the swelling?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've taken 10ml of antihistamine and put hydrocortisone cream on the bites; anything I can do about the swelling?
The antihistamine should deal with that. Your GP could prescribe more powerful corticosteroids but I don't know if that's a good idea unless you really can't stand the bites.

Apply insect repellant before gardening in future, especially if "cycling gear" for you means tight/thin stuff.

I find saliva calms the welts/irritations caused by midgie bites beats antihistamine creams. Somebody else's even better.
6405.gif

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
What about significant other's?
No chance. I've got more chance of getting a dog, or being able to lick them myself.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
A dab of cologne or after shave will take the itch out of them, stings like buggery initially but stops the itching. Calamine lotion also works.

Last night, after riding home from work (and then abortive trips to Halfords and Wickes) I decided to remove some weeds from my lawn. I did this whilst still in cycling gear, including trainer liners on my feet.

I got bitten to buggery whilst I was working, mainly around the ankles just over the socks.

Now, despite my resisting the temptation to scratch, my ankles are swollen up like a b@stard and feel like I've had the close attentions of Tommy Smith (the dirty, ugly barsteward).

I've got the London 100 on Sunday.

I have been prescribed a heavy heavy dose of oral steroids in the past
The relief was mind blowing.

Top Bottom