Bad drivers - a mini rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I’d guesstimate I get *very nearly* hit by a car about once every 500 miles of road riding. Today was the latest occasion.

I spent the rest of my ride thinking about how close it was and what the implications would have been had I been injured. I’m still thinking about it, 8 hours later.

The point of the post - I’m getting increasingly angry about drivers. Not all of them, but the drivers who just can’t drive, the able-bodied drivers who insist on driving half a mile to the shops, the drivers on mobile phones, the drivers who routinely pull into ASL’s...I could go on.

As a result I’ve started to become an overly assertive cyclist. Doing things like getting in front of cars that pull into an ASL when there’s no advantage, taking the lane when I don’t really need to...that sort of thing.

Which is daft, really, as I’m putting myself at more risk.

Bloody drivers...it gets to me sometimes!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If you do those things, be prepared for once every 250 miles.

Or you could relax a bit and develop a sense of when it pays to be assertive, and when not. You'd probably end up enjoying riding more.

stuarttunstall

I am returning to cycling after 35 years, but I must say it works both ways and respect should be both ways.......

Round here we see a lot of cyclists, especially at weekends, and a large number, but not all ride like complete idiots who think they have more right to be there than a motorist... Some are very professional and I respect that as a driver doing about 30000 miles a year...

We have cycle paths which are just there for show, cyclist would sooner ride in the road next to the lane that is put there for there safety... in those cases cyclists should be prepared for the worst and accept it ... maybe I will feel different once i get on my bike next week lol

I will admit I rant at cyclist around here who show no respect for the motorist, in fact when I said I was getting a bike more than one said "what! you a cyclist" lol

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
We have cycle paths which are just there for show, cyclist would sooner ride in the road next to the lane that is put there for there safety... in those cases cyclists should be prepared for the worst and accept it ... maybe I will feel different once i get on my bike next week lol
I sincerely hope you do start to feel differently after a few hundred miles on your new steed, or at least have an understanding as to why cyclists may not use infrastructure supposedly provided for their safety:smile:.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I’d guesstimate I get *very nearly* hit by a car about once every 500 miles of road riding. Today was the latest occasion.

I spent the rest of my ride thinking about how close it was and what the implications would have been had I been injured. I’m still thinking about it, 8 hours later.

The point of the post - I’m getting increasingly angry about drivers. Not all of them, but the drivers who just can’t drive, the able-bodied drivers who insist on driving half a mile to the shops, the drivers on mobile phones, the drivers who routinely pull into ASL’s...I could go on.

As a result I’ve started to become an overly assertive cyclist. Doing things like getting in front of cars that pull into an ASL when there’s no advantage, taking the lane when I don’t really need to...that sort of thing.

Which is daft, really, as I’m putting myself at more risk.

Bloody drivers...it gets to me sometimes!
Let it go. you could make yourself ill if you worry about it. Happens to us all.

stuarttunstall

The comment applies equally to motorists or anything really, if YOU choose not to use things that are put there for YOUR SAFETY then accept the consequences when things go wrong....

Comment not intended to cause arguments ;)

I'm sure you may think that all cycle paths have been put there for cyclists safety, but some/lots are downright dangerous

I am returning to cycling after 35 years, but I must say it works both ways and respect should be both ways.......

Round here we see a lot of cyclists, especially at weekends, and a large number, but not all ride like complete idiots who think they have more right to be there than a motorist... Some are very professional and I respect that as a driver doing about 30000 miles a year...

I will admit I rant at cyclist around here who show no respect for the motorist, in fact when I said I was getting a bike more than one said "what! you a cyclist" lol

Things you will learn pretty quickly,

Road bikes are not really suitable for shared cycle lanes, you don’t want cyclists doing 30mph in among people walking their dogs, or with children running around,

Cycle lanes are full of glass, road signs, cars parked, speed detection vans, and dog poo, either in or out of bags

Cycle lanes rarely go where people want to go, or protect cyclists in the places where they need protection.
Cyclists have as much right to be there as other vehicles, even if a cycle lane is right next to the road,
Why should they be prepared for the worst and accept it?

You will attempt to get out of vehicles way, by riding close to the gutter, right up until a car or lorry skims past you doing 60mph 100mm off your right arm,

You will realise it’s perfectly legal to ride two abreast and cyclists are not breaking any laws, in doing so,

Respect is a two way street,but cars are harder than cycles.

You will get lots of negative comments, especially saying you should have a number plate and pay tax and insurance.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
As I said may feel different when I get out there, I have never used one so I have no idea what they are like....

Stuart, it's great that you have come here to ask for advice, and hopefully taken most of it on board. However, it's a bit rich to start preaching at experienced cyclists about the use or not of cycle paths when, as you say yourself, you've never used them and know nothing about them.

I hope you enjoy your cycling and stick with it as I'm sure you'll come to understand some of the reasons cyclists do the things they do that annoy certain motorists.

stuarttunstall

Stuart, it's great that you have come here to ask for advice, and hopefully taken most of it on board. However, it's a bit rich to start preaching at experienced cyclists about the use or not of cycle paths when, as you say yourself, you've never used them and know nothing about them.

I hope you enjoy your cycling and stick with it as I'm sure you'll come to understand some of the reasons cyclists do the things they do that annoy certain motorists.

Hi

I was not preaching to anyone, I was just stating my opinion which was not meant to cause offence...

I have received great advice from here so far and appreciate it... and as I said I may feel different when I do get out there.. If I do I will be the first to come on here and say so..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom