Bad Name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Don't be ridiculous, when did you ever see a brown bear on a bike, or a black bear come to think of it. Unless they we wearing hi-viz.

Here you go, seen on my commute last week :thumbsup:

p.jpg

Assuming it were legal, and just for the sake of this discussion, lets imagine a car parked at the point where our cyclist is on the road. 'Around' twenty cars are delayed as a result.

Would anyone witnessing this event consider it memorable enough to start a new thread on the subject on an internet discussion forum when they arrived home?

Of course they wouldn't. Is there any difference in the level of 'selfishness and inconsideration' to others between our cyclists behaviour and the person who parked their car?

My point is that we as a society have come to accept the 'rights' of cars to 'make good progress' as normal. The default. In the olden days (I'm old enough to remember them) cars used to slow down when they saw kids on or near the road. Now they dont, they expect the kids to leap out of their way.

We are at the point in our tolerance/acceptance/normalization of the motor car that old ladies try to break in to a jog to get accross zebra crossings sharpish so as to minimise the inconvenience to the cars.

Take your car-centric blinkers off.

Good point well made and no one here will drive (or cycle!) like that I hope!

That said I agree that a minority of drivers hold that view you've described, and controversially I have to dip my toe in the water of arguing the cyclist should have not moved as it would only reinforce the views of the minority (kings of the road).

No one has car centric blinkers on, we're just finding some middle ground.....

apollo179

Ah right so are you admitting it is rubbish then..a waste of time, as we know that to be a stereotype?

But our perp in the op was behaving improperly . He was contributing to a negative stereotype of cyclists - be that stereotype right or wrong.

OP
OP
twobiker

twobiker

1566158 said:
So where is the forum of white van drivers bemoaning a white van man dragging their good name through the mud?
When did you ever hear of the BMW driver complaining about another one tailgating and flashing the lights in the 3rd lane if the motorway?
It doesn't happen, so why do cyclists do it?

BMW drivers all drive like that and White van men are to busy reading the Sun and whistling at women, at least if they are all like the one of each I saw anyway.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I see, at least that explains the mystery but shame your brilliantly insightful question went ignored.:cry:

The question still remains though, what difference if they had slowed to drink from their bidon, look at their watch etc.

The main bug bear seems to be because he was holding a phone allegedly using it to dial.

Noodley

Here you go, seen on my commute last week :thumbsup:

p.jpg

:rofl:

A bear in a bikini, now that is gonna distract drivers...

The question still remains though, what difference if they had slowed to drink from their bidon, look at their watch etc.

The main bug bear seems to be because he was holding a phone allegedly using it to dial.

Then my answer is........ no difference to how the drivers should react (they should accept the delay and wait) but the cyclist should pull over for phone calls/mobile betting/TOWIE twitter/whatever.

Group hug?

Yup :wub::hello:

Top Bottom