Bad Name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

1566158 said:
So where is the forum of white van drivers bemoaning a white van man dragging their good name through the mud?
When did you ever hear of the BMW driver complaining about another one tailgating and flashing the lights in the 3rd lane if the motorway?
It doesn't happen, so why do cyclists do it?

One critical consideration is the vulnerability of cyclists.
Bmw drivers presumably coudnt care if everyone hates them cos there protected driving round in there tanks.
If theres a negative feeling towards cyclists in general then we are all vulnerable and potentially at increased risk .

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
One critical consideration is the vulnerability of cyclists.
Bmw drivers presumably coudnt care if everyone hates them cos there protected driving round in there tanks.
If theres a negative feeling towards cyclists in general then we are all vulnerable and potentially at increased risk .

Hey, I don't know if you got the memo, but we're having a breakout hugging sesh right now..

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I am taking you as representing the 'majority' and therefore proclaim; "see, I told you!"

I guess so. I assume from your post that you're assuming that people in the South of England are generally more impatient and stressed than those 'up North?
If so, then I agree, generally.

I like the North, I like the people, they just seem, I don't know, nicer.

Anyway, if I'd been a driver held up by the OP's cyclist then, yes, I would've been pissed off. More due to the "sod 'em" attitude that appears to have been portrayed.
As to what I'd have done about it? nothing. I wouldn't have tooted, certainly wouldn't have carried out a close pass, just muttered under my breath and accepted his right to be there.
The relevance? none really.

When I'm driving I admit that cyclists do regularly piss me off, the number that thank me for giving way is probably, on average, less than 1 in 50. Not that they have to offer thanks of course, but it's something that a higher proportion of drivers seem to be able to manage out of courtesy.
I also get pissed off by the majority that RLJ (where I live,) the small, but dangerous number who ride along the footpaths at night with no lighting then hop off the kerb in front of me, and the number that ride two abreast along the road chatting away when it wouldn't hurt to drop back in for a few seconds to allow me to pass. Not that they have to of course, and I fully respect their right not to, but then I am a cyclist.

When on the bike I'll hold my line if it's safer, but will pull over and let cars past if on a narrow road and it's convenient for me to do so. When riding two abreast, chatting to a mate, I'll drop back if there's traffic behind, still waffling, then resume my position when the road's clear. It's no biggy and smooths the way for everybody.

Anyway, I'll shut up now as I've no idea where I'm going with this, much like this thread really!

Peace and love to all
thumbsup.png

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Who's he?

Group hug? You bunch of soft southern jessies!

Him^^^^^!!!!!!

I guess so. I assume from your post that you're assuming that people in the South of England are generally more impatient and stressed than those 'up North?
If so, then I agree, generally.

I like the North, I like the people, they just seem, I don't know, nicer.

<SNIP>

Hey it might be grim up north but we're nicer :biggrin:

Snipped the rest of it, seems to be common sense driving/cycling that you've got and no different to the rest of us :thumbsup:

I'm trying to get this thread to 500 posts, I thought that was why everyone was replying?

I think we're all just a little disspointed we've mostly agreed whats right here, a couple of the more militant amongst us may have the 'stand firm and hold the line' attitude but we can all see no driver should ever get annoyed at delays*

*Except if someone is cycling slowly with one hand whilst holding a phone!:whistle:

Top Bottom